2014 Halves Pairing

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I would hate for Barba to be moved into the halves.

He has proven himself to be one of the best fullbacks in the world and a move to the halves would take him out of his favorite and most deadly position. He will still get many chances to attack but with a rushing defensive line it would be a lot harder for him to make breaks compared to the freedom and space you get at fullback.

It could also affect his personal confidence as with his off-field troubles more responsibility would be placed on him as he would now be an organizer directing the team around the field calling the shots in attack.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Some combinations I would like to see:

1. Barba

6. Taylor/Hunt

7. Taylor/Hunt

or

1. Barba

6. Strasser/Hunt

7. Strasser/Hunt

Which one would everyone like to see more?

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
It's difficult to have a valid opinion until after the trials . I prefer Milford at 6.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
yeah at this stage I would prefer milford to we just need to sign him but if we don't I think they are our best two options.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
yeah at this stage I would prefer milford to we just need to sign him but if we don't I think they are our best two options.
Yes . I agree they deserve a shot in the trials, no guarantees though. So if by that stage if there is no standout candidate we will convince locky out of retirement.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Whoever seems the most competent organiser at the moment (I'm assuming Cullen?). Hunt hasn't shown those skills yet and we could look like Parra without Prince or Wallace there to take over.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
We looked our best with hunt and prince in the back end of the year. It's easy to dismiss prince , but his experience will be missed. Unless there is an overarching plan to which we are not privy. We will making selections on the run.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think hunt and one of the young halves could make a good combination next year. Remembering we have Darren lockyer and alan langer to help coach the halves they have plenty of potential.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I think hunt and one of the young halves could make a good combination next year. Remembering we have Darren lockyer and alan langer to help coach the halves they have plenty of potential.
I love your optimism Benoz da hunt . You're we do locky and langer to make comebacks . I mean coach- coach.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
My issue with the talk of Milford in the halves is that it's like contemplating what one will do with the $1M lotto prize you haven't won, while the bars of gold in our treasure chest are either turned to lead (bench hooker) or pilfered by someone else.

For mine, we ought to give our juniors every opportunity to impress and, in any case, decide NOW whether Hunt's 2014 halves partner is makeshift, or we continue to buy those lotto tickets and live in hope.

I am now completely opposed to playing Hodges and Hoffman in the halves. I believe we need to bite the bullet and nurture and value the emerging talent we have in spades.

Last edited:
Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I would love to get Milford but I think we have plenty of talent waiting in the wings.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
ANTHONY Milford has told relatives he will not be returning to Canberra in a blow to Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's hopes of blocking his likely move to the Broncos.

As revealed by The Sunday Mail last month, Stuart travelled to Brisbane and met with the Milford family to discuss the prospect of the boom rookie staying in Canberra.

But it is understood Milford has played his last game in a Raiders jumper. The 19-year-old has informed his cousin at the Broncos, under-20s prop Francis Molo, that he wants to remain with family in Brisbane when he returns from World Cup duty next month.

Milford, who has a get-out clause relating to the health of his sick father Halo, will turn out for Samoa against New Zealand tomorrow in a Group B clash in Warrington.

The Raiders whiz is contracted to the club until the end of next season, preventing NRL rivals from formally approaching him until November 1 this year.

But from this Friday, potential suitors can hold negotiations with his management, giving Broncos operations chief Andrew Gee the ability to table a formal offer for Milford.

Canberra are doing everything possible to accommodate Milford, but the gravity of his homesickness was best illustrated when the Raiders' season ended six weeks ago.

Within days of Canberra's final game against Cronulla, Milford had returned to the Brisbane suburb of Inala to live with parents Halo and Marietta.

Should Milford refuse to return to Canberra for pre-season, the Raiders face two scenarios: concede defeat and allow him to join the Broncos, or force him to sit out the 2014 campaign.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said yesterday the club would not activate the family-illness clause unless ordered to do so by the NRL if mediation is required.

"I've also heard that he won't be coming back," Furner said.

"I don't know anymore other than to say he will either be with us in 2014 or he won't be playing NRL.

"It's frustrating because we have put a lot of work into Anthony and the junior development work that we do.

"But we are holding firm on the contract, which is what we always said, and that stance hasn't changed."

A recent report suggested Stuart had successfully convinced Milford to stay after tabling a $100,000 upgrade.

But Milford's manager Sam Ayoub says the Maroons Origin hopeful is still weighing up his future and has sought legal advice on the relevant clause.

"I am sick and tired of what everyone else is saying. These people who say Anthony is now staying at Canberra, they wouldn't have a clue on what is going on," Ayoub said.

"The bottom line is the kid is in the UK, we are working through it, we are looking at what the kid can and can't do.

"We are not going to be pressured into making a decision based on what other people are saying and the agendas they want to run.

"We are getting some advice on Anthony's situation.

"I am talking to Anthony and he will do what he needs to do to move forward."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...rs/story-e6frf3ou-1226747645800#ixzz2isycEnhn

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
we will have to wait and see what happens.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
surprised this board hasn't blown up yet at the Milford news

Active Now

• Pablo
  • BroncosMan
  • Financeguy
  • rnabokov
  • Mustafur
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Accept
  • Porthoz
  • The Boss
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Brocko
  • Volvo Driver
  • Griffo
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.