2017 Line-up

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I hear he's a centre, pretty quick, bounced around a couple of clubs before ending up with us.

Apparently he enjoys a quiet tipple at the Normanby from time to time too.

James Robert. He's merely a fraction as good as James Roberts.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I really don't like the idea of Dodds coming straight back into the 17 next year.

I know there is a train of thought that we need someone experienced of the bench, but we need more metres than we got last year and with Dodds we will get less.

I would personally prefer we just give the guys who do the best in pre-season the spots and not just select Dodds because he has experience.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I really don't like the idea of Dodds coming straight back into the 17 next year.

I know there is a train of thought that we need someone experienced of the bench, but we need more metres than we got last year and with Dodds we will get less.

I would personally prefer we just give the guys who do the best in pre-season the spots and not just select Dodds because he has experience.

Concede less metres, we need to gain less metres.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Yeah, but you could argue we needed to gain more metres because we weren't as strong defensively as we were in 2015 and we were being run over the top of more..

Something Dodds would help stop, a lot more than the young guys we have.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Yeah, but you could argue we needed to gain more metres because we weren't as strong defensively as we were in 2015 and we were being run over the top of more..

Something Dodds would help stop, a lot more than the young guys we have.

You are right, we were allowing more metres to be made against us, but I personally would not put that down to not having having Dodds but more our attitude in defence.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
You are right, we were allowing more metres to be made against us, but I personally would not put that down to not having having Dodds but more our attitude in defence.
Attitude didn't help, but when you lose experienced players(particularly workhorses) and expect more from the younger forwards who are only just starting to just get a taste of first grade to step up immediately and fill the gap it definitely contributes to the problem and with Parker retiring and Wallace off to the titans, to not bring in an experienced forward who can help tighten our defense is only making the problem worse.

Last edited:
Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Attitude didn't help, but when you lose experienced players(particularly workhorses) and expect more from the younger forwards who are only just starting to just get a taste of first grade to step up immediately and fill the gap it definitely contributes to the problem and with Parker retiring and Wallace retiring, to not bring in an experienced forward who can help tighten our defense is only making the problem worse.

Yeah I think we will just have to be patient with the younger guys and at least have Dodds in the team for this year to help the ease the young guys work load.

In 2018, hopefully Dodds won't be needed.

Don't like our forward situation for 2017 but hopefully our forwards will develop well for 2018.

Last edited:
Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Nah. How many less metres will they make with Dodds there instead of Arrow or Joe? Not enough to make a difference.

The player we put into the starting lineup has to suit the style of play we are trying to play. No matter who we put in we won't have a huge pack that pulverisers the opposition. We need to be trying to play a relentlessly up tempo style of play with quick play the balls and quick line speed in defence. The kind of game plan we used against Melbourne. I know big bodies help to win the ruck but urgency, fitness and technique can do it too.

Of the players we have at the moment the two that are most capable of playing at that sort of pace for big minutes with few errors are Arrow and Joe.

TPJ and Ese'ese are impact players (TPJ will hopefully develop into a superstar) and Glenn is reliable and versatile.

I really can't see a spot for Dodds in the top 17 unless someone is injured or being rested.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Defence should be our main goal. It was the difference between 2015 and 2016 IMO. If Dodds has a good pre-season, he should be there IMO.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
The more I see Kahu play, the more I think he would be a great centre.

Has all the skills.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
But the more he plays at centre, the more I think he's not conditioned to play there. He gets injured every single time he's there and it's unfortunate but it throws our whole team out and we end up with Nikorima on the wing or something stupid.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
But the more he plays at centre, the more I think he's not conditioned to play there. He gets injured every single time he's there and it's unfortunate but it throws our whole team out and we end up with Nikorima on the wing or something stupid.

I don't think you can blame the position for his injuries. I can remember one time he got injured making a regulation take on a kick chase, nothing to do with the position.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Nah. How many less metres will they make with Dodds there instead of Arrow or Joe? Not enough to make a difference.

The player we put into the starting lineup has to suit the style of play we are trying to play. No matter who we put in we won't have a huge pack that pulverisers the opposition. We need to be trying to play a relentlessly up tempo style of play with quick play the balls and quick line speed in defence. The kind of game plan we used against Melbourne. I know big bodies help to win the ruck but urgency, fitness and technique can do it too.

Of the players we have at the moment the two that are most capable of playing at that sort of pace for big minutes with few errors are Arrow and Joe.

TPJ and Ese'ese are impact players (TPJ will hopefully develop into a superstar) and Glenn is reliable and versatile.

I really can't see a spot for Dodds in the top 17 unless someone is injured or being rested.
I agree, he won't be a regular fixture in the lineup but is someone reliable who Bennett can call on in a time of need.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
He gets injured often because his body is ravaged by the rigours of Rugby League, it has nothing to do with the position he occupies. Numerous operations to various parts of the body generally take their toll. I do know one thing, if he ever manages a full season, he will post some really great numbers.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • Midean
  • Wolfie
  • johnny plath
  • Lozza
  • broncos4life
  • ostin86
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.