2017 Line-up

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I think Tom has a future in the NRL, however I am with you on this one. He will quickly turn into a Reed V2 and subsequent BHQ whipping boy if he hasn't picked up a yard or two in pace!
I also have concerns for other areas of his game.

What are your thoughts on pearson joe ? Think he could be a mainstay in the backline?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I'm going to repeat myself here. I think Joe Ofa is going to surprise many people here.

Totally agree with you porthoz . I also think Ese'ese is going to be a beast off the bench for us too!

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
I think Pearson is a better option than Mead whose best days are long behind him. Jonus might impress enough in the preseason to get the nod.

I will have to disagree on mead. He's a finisher, great speed, good under the high ball, hits hard and a strong runner he is what we need in our team plus he has a combination with Roberts

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Neither, Pearson has played two games, as impressive as he was he will benefit from another year of development. I believe Mead will be one of if not our most consistent players this season.

agree ...

although IMO, at this stage Pearson would be the first choice to replace either Oates or Mead if they were unavailable due to Injury, origin or suspension

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I feel mead is a genuine winger and when a team has a good winger they inevitably call for them to be a fullback to get more ball.

Last year mead wasn't great at fullback (lacked ball playing abilities), but as a winger he is very capable with good speed and is a great finisher.

His work out of dummy half is probably his biggest let down as a winger though

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It isn't so much writing Mead off, rather about conveying the potential for a Round 1 bolter in the side.

Mead has not cemented his position just yet. He's the likely candidate, sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Bennett leave him out if Pearson or Te Rupe impress.

It's a little different, but last season most of us had Carlin Anderson penciled in as our replacement for Maranta. In the end, Carlin didn't see any first grade at the Broncos and Wayne went completely left field by selecting Greg Eden, a player most of us had forgotten was even with the club. The Eden experiment failed but it highlights Bennett's tendency to go a little left field.

Looking back, it's something he's often done. The Crocodile Hunter in 02, Karmichael Hunt in 04, Leon Bott in 05, Darius Boyd 06, Joel Moon in 07 (Karmichael at #7), Reece Robinson 08...I'm sure you could go back even further to his BRL days. He likes to give young players a shot and isn't afraid to bring them in early.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Roberts alongside Mead, on a booze ban... sounds like 2015. It'd be great if he could play like that again.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I have no idea why people think Mead won't be one of the starting wingers.

He's getting older, he's an import, and we have wingers that'll potentially be better than him, sooner rather than later, that require blooding. Unless these kids are definitely not ready (need more time in 20s or Q-Cup), I think Mead might be an injury or Origin-only depth player. A luxury one, for sure, especially for the cost, so great signing, but depth nonetheless.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Nah I'd say Mead is guaranteed a spot when healthy, we need his speed & safety on that right hand side. He's just an upgraded version of Maranta basically.

Pearson & co. could use another full season of ISC.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
He's getting older, he's an import, and we have wingers that'll potentially be better than him, sooner rather than later, that require blooding. Unless these kids are definitely not ready (need more time in 20s or Q-Cup), I think Mead might be an injury or Origin-only depth player. A luxury one, for sure, especially for the cost, so great signing, but depth nonetheless.
I agree, if our up and coming players look like they can bring something more than Mead by all means, I also think it's unlikely and they will get a fair few shots filling in when we need them. Mead on a one year deal on what he is on is an outstanding signing considering the position we are in with our backline ranks.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
This is my updated prediction for our 17 in round 1.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Kahu
5. Mead
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Joe
9. Macca
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillette
13. McGuire
14. Kodi
15. Sims
16. Glenn
17. Ese'ese

I know it's a big call having Joe in ahead of Sims but I think he's been prepared for it and will do a solid job. It also suits the team balance better to have two experienced guys on the bench. The two inexperienced guys would be split up. Joe would be out there with the starting pack and Ese'ese would be out there with Sims and Glenn.
The focus this year has to be on consistency both over the 80 minutes each game and over the season.
We have the depth now to avoid the kind of slump that cost us a top 4 finish last year. Guys like Marshall, Opacic, Pearson, Moga, Dodds, TPJ, Arrow and Su'a could all come into the team when needed and do their job. The young guys in particular will have gained a lot of confidence from last year.
We need to be consistent for 80 minutes each game as well though and for that to happen Wayne has to be confident enough in the bench to give them more time on the field. Too often last year our bench was under used and our main players looked gassed.
I'm also not sure what will happen with Kodi. If he's to be groomed for the halfback spot next year then I would expect him to spend some time in the ISC and Marshall to be the bench utility. I don't have a clue when that might happen though.
I honestly think we will finish top 4 and be premiership contenders this year. The halves will fire and Boyd will be a terrific captain that provides guidance to his players in the big moments rather than just leading by example and hoping that's enough.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
I have no idea why people think Mead won't be one of the starting wingers.
Because he was signed as a depth outside back for next to nothing. He is a handy player but he is well past his prime and Bennett might opt for someone younger and more skillful. He may very well be there come Round 1 but it is far from being a certainty.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
You would be crazy to leave Pangai Jr out of the 17, I would drop Glenn for him.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
You would be crazy to leave Pangai Jr out of the 17, I would drop Glenn for him.

Apparently that is a crazy idea to drop glenn . But i agree , am not knocking glenn . but would like to see the young guys given first crack. Surely there will be some rotating goings-on throughout the year anyways.

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • lynx000
  • Lostboy
  • Manofoneway
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Swordfish
  • broncos4life
  • Morkel
  • bazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • KickHaas
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Totally Unr3al
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.