2017 Line-up

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
For arguments sake, if Marshall is going to be in the 17 somewhere what would the team look like?

I'd probably go something like this:

1. Boyd
2. Mead
3. Roberts
4. Marshall
5. Kahu
6. Milf
7. Hunt
8. Offa/Sims
9. Macca
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillet
13. Moose
14. Kodi
15. Oates
16. Sims/Offa
17. Glenn/Pangai/Ese Ese

I'm pretty strong advocate for Oates to move into the backrow. We are just way to stacked on backrowers at the moment. A backrow of Oates/Su'a/Gillet is nice to think about at some point down the track.

Might be a bit light on the bench (would have to be tpj or ese as a 4th prop). tpj played in the middle a bit last year, but better suited to edge?

it will be interesting to see how and when Wayne transitions Oates to the forwards though.

Do we have Oates locked in for 2018 yet??

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Left field discussion.

If things go pear shaped on the Hunt front for one reason or another.

6. Milford
7. Benji
9. McCullough
14. Hunt

If Hunt is no longer considered a starter, he doesn't play in the side at all. Niko/Benji or 4 forward bench.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
You have to have Pangai Jr in the team so think EseEse will have to miss out.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Also, Pearson surely has to be back at some point. He looked an absolute natural talent.

2ndPhase

2ndPhase

QCup Player
May 1, 2016
I'd give Pearson first crack over Mead. If it comes off the sky's the limit. If he's not performing after a month you've got Mead biting at the bit. Not bad at all.

If Mead starts he'll be solid if nothing else and any young guys will struggle to take his place at that point. May as well shoot for the stars and land on the moon if need be.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I have no idea where or under what circumstances but I will put money on benji being a constant in our 17 this year. Regardless of last few seasons of form, contract amount, or comments in the media, Wayne didn't sign a player of his pedigree to watch from the stands.

I have no idea how he will be used, starting centre, starting half, bench utility, lock, hooker, some kind of second fullback? Any guess is as outlandish as the next, but he will be on the team lists somewhere this year. Even if I don't personally believe he is a better player than anyone he may displace, i do think he offers a lot with his presence alone and I believe Wayne sees something in him.

My personal opinion is that our best backline is:
1. Boyd, 2. Mead, 3. Roberts, 4. Kahu, 5. Oates

But if i were forced to predict Benji's place in the team it would be as a goal kicking, ball playing centre a la Jamie Lyon. With either (a)Roberts getting sacked/stood down, (b)Kahu staying on the wing, or (c)Oates moving to 2nd Row.

(a):
1. Boyd
2. Mead
3. Kahu
4. Benji
5. Oates

(b):
1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Benji
5. Oates

(c):
1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Benji
5. Mead

15. Oates

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Barring injury the only spot I see open for Benji is a bench role as a utility. Bennett may want Nikorima to work on his halves game in Q Cup as an option for next year as starting half, so Benji may have to learn how to play a bit of dummy half...

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
The end of last year Macca was playing 80min he could leave him there and put Benji in the middle give him a little free range.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Benji would still need to defend somewhere and someone has to come off for him

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Barring injury the only spot I see open for Benji is a bench role as a utility. Bennett may want Nikorima to work on his halves game in Q Cup as an option for next year as starting half, so Benji may have to learn how to play a bit of dummy half...
If Niko is vanquished to Q Cup (which is likely), I foresee a midseason transfer to another club if one shows interest. Why languish in the minors with an uncertain future when someone may come along and offer you a role in first grade? The way I see it, Niko's future as a Bronco is clouded.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'm guessing he would "languish" down there in the hope that next year he gets the vacated 7 jersey for the broncos?? but hey when Newcastle come a calling who can say no

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
If Niko is vanquished to Q Cup (which is likely), I foresee a midseason transfer to another club if one shows interest. Why languish in the minors with an uncertain future when someone may come along and offer you a role in first grade? The way I see it, Niko's future as a Bronco is clouded.
I was confused at the time, and I am still confused why Kodi didn't take the deal at the Storm. He would have been practically locked in at 6 and would have Cronk beside him. It's either loyalty or Bennett had a word with him.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
I was confused at the time, and I am still confused why Kodi didn't take the deal at the Storm. He would have been practically locked in at 6 and would have Cronk beside him. It's either loyalty or Bennett had a word with him.
I heard the Storm downgraded their original offer to him leaving him with very few options. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent player but I don't ever see him as a full-time halfback.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
I heard the Storm downgraded their original offer to him leaving him with very few options. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent player but I don't ever see him as a full-time halfback.
Neither, I think he could be however. Just not with us.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

That's incorrect from my understanding, the Storm were keen on Nikorima but couldn't guarantee him a starting spot due to the uncertainty of Slater returning, if Slater plays, he's at Fullback, which means Munster is at Five-Eighth. And he isn't getting a role on the bench either, because Smith plays 80 minutes.

Not even mentioning the likes of Brodie Croft, Ryley Jacks, Scott Drinkwater & Jahrome Hughes who all would've been pushing for the same Five-Eighth role as Kodi. It was about as far from a guaranteed first grade spot as you could get.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
That's incorrect from my understanding, the Storm were keen on Nikorima but couldn't guarantee him a starting spot due to the uncertainty of Slater returning, if Slater plays, he's at Fullback, which means Munster is at Five-Eighth. And he isn't getting a role on the bench either, because Smith plays 80 minutes.

Not even mentioning the likes of Brodie Croft, Ryley Jacks, Scott Drinkwater & Jahrome Hughes who all would've been pushing for the same Five-Eighth role as Kodi. It was about as far from a guaranteed first grade spot as you could get.

Hughes has been ISC fullback of the year the last two years in a row. I have never seen him play in the halves. Croft has just started to play ISC made his debut in May and Jacks has been at the Bears and Falcons before finding consistency and great form last year.

A current international and regular NRL player would have had the drop on all of those guys initially. The only thing that kept Nikorima in Brisbane was fear of change he just wanted to stick with what he knows. Storm deal was better in every way.

C

charbel

NYC Player
Nov 8, 2015
Hughes has been ISC fullback of the year the last two years in a row. I have never seen him play in the halves. Croft has just started to play ISC made his debut in May and Jacks has been at the Bears and Falcons before finding consistency and great form last year.

A current international and regular NRL player would have had the drop on all of those guys initially. The only thing that kept Nikorima in Brisbane was fear of change he just wanted to stick with what he knows. Storm deal was better in every way.
Fairly sure from memory Hughes was named in the halves quite a bit for the blackhawks within the latter part of the season wasn't he?

Or so my big league issues said

Active Now

• Battler
  • Behind enemy lines
  • LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.