2017 Line-up

Not to mention he played a lot of his NYC and U20 rep career in the backrow as well, it's not a foreign position to him, so to use his lack of experience or inability to play the position as a reason to keep him on the wing is just silly. Everyone with half a brain knew he was destined to be a backrower sooner rather than later in his career.

He played nearly all centre in NYC (29 games) was kicking goals too at the time. Was on the bench for Qld Under 20's.

Actually he debuted off the bench against Melbourne and replaced Reed on the bench after Reed injured himself in the first half. That was the game where Maranta blew a number of try scoring opportunities, placing him right up there as one of the worst finishers in the game. He stayed there the next week against Cronulla before transitioning to the wing. I remember before the game NYCDB and myself were shaking our heads because Oates who was mostly a centre in the NYC who was being fashioned into a backrow was playing wing of all positions. Didn't take long for Oates to blow us all away, he was great that evening in what was Ben Hunt's coming out party.

2014 Hook tried to transition him into the backrow but for whatever reason wouldn't give him any time off the bench. He had his moments in the position, but he was far more effective out-wide.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves on Oates. He's still the best winger at the club and unless something dramatic happens, that's where he'll stay for the majority of the season. In 2018 he'll be 24 and that's where he may begin the transition, but I don't see it as an overnight deal. Like a lot of backs who made their way into the forwards, he'll find himself playing a mixture of both and that will probably be the case until 2019 if not 2020.

Maybe he should ring Wendell and borrow his head gear from his few games in the forwards. Mal only lasted one game- a Test match though. Miles was successful and moved to lock as well at the end. Miles didn't do it until 1989 though he'd already played 7 years of first grade and of course had that terrific ability to offload and run.

I think that it will take longer to happen than people realise too.

He played nearly all centre in NYC (29 games) was kicking goals too at the time. Was on the bench for Qld Under 20's.

We just making stuff up now?

A) He started in the backrow for the U20 Origin game in 2013.
B) He played the vast majority of his games in the backrow during the 2013 NYC season.
C) He was named in the backrow for the NYC team of the year in 2013.

Maybe he should ring Wendell and borrow his head gear from his few games in the forwards. Mal only lasted one game- a Test match though. Miles was successful and moved to lock as well at the end. Miles didn't do it until 1989 though he'd already played 7 years of first grade and of course had that terrific ability to offload and run.

I think that it will take longer to happen than people realise too.

Corey doesn't have the best track record with injuries either, for all we know he may not have that much longer in first grade.

A lot of the players I'm thinking of like Lewis and Miles didn't make the transition until their mid-to-late twenties. Which is why I think 2019-2020 will more or less be the sweet spot for the move.

Also started on the bench for the U20 Origin game in 2012. So you're both right.

We just making stuff up now?

B) He played the vast majority of his games in the backrow during the 2013 NYC season.
C) He was named in the backrow for the NYC team of the year in 2013.

Remember that time you went and watched football and didn't just google it years later? No neither do I.

You said his whole Rep Under 20's career was in the second row- it wasn't he was named in Kevvie's 20's team in 2012 on the bench.

Great but he played more games in 2012 in the NYC and they were at centre- thus my statement he played most of his NYC career in the centres.

Correct, he did make the team of the year- what relevance does this have?

oh well, that changes everything ... we all know that playing a position in the NYC 5 years ago, means you are definitely ready to start in that position on the NRL.

Hoffman and Barba both played in the halves in the lower grades (Barba actually excelled in the NYC at 5/8) doesn't mean that they are any good at that position in the top grade

His position when coming through was back row. He is a backrower playing on the wing .

Corey doesn't have the best track record with injuries either, for all we know he may not have that much longer in first grade.

A lot of the players I'm thinking of like Lewis and Miles didn't make the transition until their mid-to-late twenties. Which is why I think 2019-2020 will more or less be the sweet spot for the move.

Lewis had the advantage of playing lock till 1981. He had already played four years of first grade before Beetson switched him for Brisbane in 1981.

FTR, i've had my say on it now, we will find out who's right soon enough.

I do think Oates will make a fine backrower, but it will be at least a season before that's the case. and i certainly think that he should start the transition from the bench.

Yeah a season in which may be Glenn's last .. just had to through that in

Lewis had the advantage of playing lock till 1981. He had already played four years of first grade before Beetson switched him for Brisbane in 1981.

I made a mental note and everything to spell it out than never did, I meant Luke Lewis.

Rookie mistake on my part, Lewis and Miles is to Rugby League what McCartney and Lennon are to music. You've got to be specific otherwise fans are completely lost. :porthozthinksthisishot:

Remember that time you went and watched football and didn't just google it years later? No neither do I.

You said his whole Rep Under 20's career was in the second row- it wasn't he was named in Kevvie's 20's team in 2012 on the bench.

Great but he played more games in 2012 in the NYC and they were at centre- thus my statement he played most of his NYC career in the centres.

Ah, the good old 1910 reply, not only does he have to throw in a personal jab, he also has to alter my comment to make himself look justified. You must feel so big on the internet.

You said his whole Rep Under 20's career was in the second row

No I didn't.

You didn't say "most" you said "nearly all", both are incorrect considering he didn't play a single game in the centres after the U20 State of Origin in 2013.

It's relevant because it proves that he played a vast majority of the 2013 NYC season in the backrow, which you seem to be vehemently denying for whatever reason. Just admit you were wrong for once in your life and stop resorting to lies & slander to get your point across.

I understand the need to develop our young up-and-coming players, but from my point of view, there are other ways of achieving that than shafting aside someone like Glenn, Thaiday or McGuire altogether. Those players are crucial to the development of these young guys, and just having them around them on a full time basis is a great way for young players to observe, learn and ultimately better their craft.

If we view the likes of Su'a, Oates etc as starting backrowers, well they need to earn that position and prove they're up to the rigours of the NRL, whether it be from the bench or even in the QCup. Being able to sustain a certain level for the duration of an NRL season is tough for any player, but for a rookie, especially in the forwards, up against seasoned veterans on a weekly basis can take its toll.

I'd much rather we be patient and take the time to properly develop our juniors and transition them into first grade such that they're able to handle the demands of first grade confidently and comfortably, than rush them in before they're ready and risk any long term damage which could stunt their development.

With the good young players, I feel we need to be a bit more delicate in our approach so that we are rewarded long term for the time and effort invested in them.

If he moves from the wing this year or next he can wish he's rep career over for a good while.

Ah, the good old 1910 reply, not only does he have to throw in a personal jab, he also has to alter my comment to make himself look justified. You must feel so big on the internet.

No I didn't.

You didn't say "most" you said "nearly all", both are incorrect considering he didn't play a single game in the centres after the U20 State of Origin in 2013.

It's relevant because it proves that he played a vast majority of the 2013 NYC season in the backrow, which you seem to be vehemently denying for whatever reason. Just admit you were wrong for once in your life and stop resorting to lies & slander to get your point across.

Why do you keep ignoring 2012? His career in NYC is 2012 and 2013- 29 games. I know what happened in 2013 no one is disputing he made the team of the year but you seem to be under the impression playing back row in 2013 and being team of the year means he couldn't have played centre 2012. I don't understand the correlation.

Why do you keep ignoring 2012? His career in NYC is 2012 and 2013- 29 games. I know what happened in 2013 no one is disputing he made the team of the year but you seem to be under the impression playing back row in 2013 and being team of the year means he couldn't have played centre 2012. I don't understand the correlation.

I'm well aware he played centre in 2012, I never claimed he didn't, try reading posts before you go off on a completely irrelevant rant. The entire point of me raising his time in NYC was to illustrate that his transition from the outside backs started long ago, some people on here appear to be under the illusion that he's always been an outside back and always will be, which simply isn't the case.

If we don't start moving him in-field over the next 18 months, I get the feeling he'll go to a club that will. He's not stupid (Or at least his management isn't), he's well aware that backrowers get paid more and that he's got a much clearer path to rep teams as a backrower.

I'm well aware he played centre in 2012, I never claimed he didn't, try reading posts before you go off on a completely irrelevant rant. The entire point of me raising his time in NYC was to illustrate that his transition from the outside backs started long ago, some people on here appear to be under the illusion that he's always been an outside back and always will be, which simply isn't the case.

If we don't start moving him in-field over the next 18 months, I get the feeling he'll go to a club that will. He's not stupid (Or at least his management isn't), he's well aware that backrowers get paid more and that he's got a much clearer path to rep teams as a backrower.

I did read it, you kept saying but he got team of the year; he didn't play centre. That's what made me think you thought he didn't play centre.

My mistake clearly.

I did read it, you kept saying but he got team of the year; he didn't play centre. That's what made me think you thought he didn't play centre.

My mistake clearly.

If you show me the post where I said he never played centre in the NYC I will admit I was wrong.

I'd say Oates will see some time there this year shifting off the wing to relieve others. We're stacked with outside backs, although the quality varies. I see him starting wing and transitioning during the game depending on the forwards' petrol tanks, especially if they've spent 3/4 of the half defending, like they have sometimes. During origin he'll start in the forwards for the club.that'd be my thinking.

Just throwing it out there, but could Oates move into the centres as part of his transition into the back row? Instead of coming off the bench for 20 minutes a game, how about become a full time centre and then work your way into the forward pack?

Active Now

• Inknition
  • Harry Sack
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • Hoof Hearted
  • BroncosAlways
  • phoenix
  • Locky24
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.