2017 Line-up

What makes people so sure Oates won't be playing Origin?

Holmes isn't guaranteed a thing and with Oates performing well for QLD last year, he could retain his spot.

He also has the added benefit of being much bigger and could play as an extra forward and get our sets off to a good start from kick returns, something Holmes would lack.

As for Feldt, please.

The only way I see Oates not playing Origin is if Slater plays, but I highly doubt he will be and if he doesn't, with Boyd at the back, I can't see Oates losing his spot.

Feldt is useless. His claim to fame and spotlight has quickly faded as it should have

Not sure if this the right place, but read an article earlier about Bennett hiring an ex AFL player working with us a couple of days a week.

Not sure if this the right place, but read an article earlier about Bennett hiring an ex AFL player working with us a couple of days a week.

Yeah, that was posted last year.

Really? Last year? It says it was posted today, the 17th of Feb, 2017 at like 11am? Maybe this is a different player Bennett hired?

It's the same player, just a different article.

He has been working with the team for a couple of months now.

Just throwing it out there, but could Oates move into the centres as part of his transition into the back row? Instead of coming off the bench for 20 minutes a game, how about become a full time centre and then work your way into the forward pack?

Nah I don't think it would work out in the centres. Centre is a very underrated position these days. The defensive decisions for what they make can be the difference between conceding a try or stopping one. I don't think Oatesy would have the relevant skills to be able to pick off a play and shut it down at centre. Then there is also the passing involved in the centres. The ability to get a nice pass away to your winger is not to be underrated.

I understand the need to develop our young up-and-coming players, but from my point of view, there are other ways of achieving that than shafting aside someone like Glenn, Thaiday or McGuire altogether. Those players are crucial to the development of these young guys, and just having them around them on a full time basis is a great way for young players to observe, learn and ultimately better their craft.

If we view the likes of Su'a, Oates etc as starting backrowers, well they need to earn that position and prove they're up to the rigours of the NRL, whether it be from the bench or even in the QCup. Being able to sustain a certain level for the duration of an NRL season is tough for any player, but for a rookie, especially in the forwards, up against seasoned veterans on a weekly basis can take its toll.

I'd much rather we be patient and take the time to properly develop our juniors and transition them into first grade such that they're able to handle the demands of first grade confidently and comfortably, than rush them in before they're ready and risk any long term damage which could stunt their development.

With the good young players, I feel we need to be a bit more delicate in our approach so that we are rewarded long term for the time and effort invested in them.

Surely oates has proved himself ! As for Su'A, i don't think anyone said start him . Glenn has been coming of the bench, so if Su'a was to take his spot it would be on the bench. We have a log jam of backrowers, someone will have to move on . I feel glenn is the one, if thaiday was to retire then we keep glenn . But someone will go.

In regards to the 2017 line-up.. Either Sam has completely let himself go or Wayne has given him the heads up that he's an impact bench player again this year, he's huge.

C40Jy8zWIAEgAto.jpg:large
He is 115kg's at the moment
http://www.broncos.com.au/team/profiles/sam-thaiday.html

Last edited:
Nah I don't think it would work out in the centres. Centre is a very underrated position these days. The defensive decisions for what they make can be the difference between conceding a try or stopping one. I don't think Oatesy would have the relevant skills to be able to pick off a play and shut it down at centre. Then there is also the passing involved in the centres. The ability to get a nice pass away to your winger is not to be underrated.

I also agree that centre is one of the more, if not the most difficult position on the field, but in saying that I think it could help Oates in the long run and make him a better backrower. I think transforming him from winger to backrower is going to be a tough ask early on, especially defensively. I think Oates will be caught out pretty badly in the backrow if he were to switch positions due to the lack of defensive work he currently has to do on the wing.

The reason behind my thoughts on Oates as a centre before making a permanent switch to the backrow is because Oates is fairly one dimensional. In terms of skill that can translate from the wing to the backrow, he hasn't got a whole lot. He can run extremely hard, but that's about it. He has no footwork, minimal passing/offloading ability, suspect defence and also lacks the fitness, all of which he can improve or work on.

If Oates could focus on his defence and make good defensive reads, learn to develop a bit of a passing game and work on his offloading ability as a centre, then it could be a major additions to his repertoire moving forward. Learning new skills in different positions could make him a more well rounded player as a backrower. If he could learn to make sound defensive judgement's under pressure as a centre, he could most certainly be able to do the same in the forward pack as well.

Looks like I'm late to the party with the giving glenn the axe discussion

Just curious as to when thaidays contract expires? I know he turns 32 this year but the more I think about it, it looks likely that it could be his last year. If he sees you guys breathing down his throat, starts to pick up injuries, already has a premiership under his belt and has a pretty decent career after footy with the media and is cafe. He might take a hit for the team which allows Glenn, oats and sua to all stay.

Everyone seems to be ignoring these great observations.

If Thaiday is really 115 kilos we can probably rule out him starting in that starting on that left edge.
Seems like he will go back to acting as that impact bench prop.

Does that mean Glenn starts for now? Or is there some merit to the Oates transitioning suggestions after all? I personally feel that it's too early. I'm not sure how long Thaiday will go on for, and I'm sure he can get a media gig straight after so I doubt he'll desperately hang on.
Could we possibly see Su'A on the bench a lot this season? Or will Bennett really start transitioning Oates across now?

Sounds like we could be looking at something like this:

8. Sims/Ese'Ese/Offa
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Mcguire

14. Thaiday
15. TPG
16. Su'A
17. Ese'Ese/Sims/Offa/Arrow/Niko/Benji

Last edited:
1. Glenn will be worth less to us then he is other clubs. In an ideal world it'd be nice to keep him, but he'd have to agree to the kind of $$$ we don't mind sitting in Q-Cup. I can't see that happening.

2. How does losing Glenn mean we have to start with Oates and or Su'a? And can't transition them slowly enough? We've got Gillo, Thaiday, Moose (priority over Glenn), Sims, Blair who can all play in the backrow... Glenn was coming off the bench last year as is, so if we're to develop them off the bench slowly he's the one who has got to go.

Oates and Jaydn Su'A need to buck up to be in starting side. I think Arrow need to buck up little bit. In the player profile Arrow is 101 kg.

Looks like I'm late to the party with the giving glenn the axe discussion

Just curious as to when thaidays contract expires? I know he turns 32 this year but the more I think about it, it looks likely that it could be his last year. If he sees you guys breathing down his throat, starts to pick up injuries, already has a premiership under his belt and has a pretty decent career after footy with the media and is cafe. He might take a hit for the team which allows Glenn, oats and sua to all stay.
His cafè closed a while ago now but he has a lot going for him, most definitely. The high demands of this game is definitely taking its toll on his body and knowing his future is all sweet will be tempting for him if he is contemplating that decision.

His cafè closed a while ago now but he has a lot going for him, most definitely. The high demands of this game is definitely taking its toll on his body and knowing his future is all sweet will be tempting for him if he is contemplating that decision.
Oh no did it really? Is that the cafe that him and Macca owened together? Do you know why it closed down by any chance? I really enjoy seeing the players have other interests outside of footy such as this!

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.