2017 Line-up

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Far from me to defend a POS like Bird, but if we're going to nitpick, guess what... Bird's girlfriend at the time denied being attacked, on the contrary, and Bird's conviction was overturned.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/judge-q...on-for-glassing-girlfriend-20091125-jpn5.html

Whether the above is true or not, is a different question, and more importantly, the fact Bird was allowed to return to the NRL in no way warrants Lodge the same right. Two wrongs don't make a right, besides one is a convicted felon, the other is not.
Technically he's not a felon, he's a misdemeanant.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
every day people and their conversations say far more and worst than what was on his strapping.

i guess the sad thing is that certain people/community would rather see the demise of people who have made mistakes instead of getting back on track.

i dont know lodge but i heard him chatting before the game, seems like a reasonable sort of lad and is still in his early 20's

Everyday people aren't in such high profile positions though, something he should be considering if he wants a career as a successful rugby league player.

I dont think anyone on here would want to see the demise of anyone tbh, but Like i said before, he has already been charged for domestic violence on top of all the vile stuff he did in America. He has already had a second chance. I really hope the NRL make him show he can behave himself and that he has turned a corner for a couple of years minimum.

Dont know the bloke personally, and i do hope he turns his life around, but he has got away pretty lightly for what he did imo. He needs to prove himself now over a decent chunk of time. I know somebody who will more than likely know better than me what he is like as person, i'll trust their judgement on it when i find out.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Far from me to defend a POS like Bird, but if we're going to nitpick, guess what... Bird's girlfriend at the time denied being attacked, on the contrary, and Bird's conviction was overturned.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/judge-q...on-for-glassing-girlfriend-20091125-jpn5.html

Whether the above is true or not, is a different question, and more importantly, the fact Bird was allowed to return to the NRL in no way warrants Lodge the same right. Two wrongs don't make a right, besides one is a convicted felon, the other is not.

Yeah that just shows you so much gets swept under the rug ! And how many players do get second chances ! If you disagree or not that's how it seems to go in the nrl.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Yeah that just shows you so much gets swept under the rug ! And how many players do get second chances ! If you disagree or not that's how it seems to go in the nrl.

Yes and it's shameful.

Like I said, 12 months of community service and we'll re-evaluate next year. My two cents.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Everyday people aren't in such high profile positions though, something he should be considering if he wants a career as a successful rugby league player.

I dont think anyone on here would want to see the demise of anyone tbh, but Like i said before, he has already been charged for domestic violence on top of all the vile stuff he did in America. He has already had a second chance. I really hope the NRL make him show he can behave himself and that he has turned a corner for a couple of years minimum.

Dont know the bloke personally, and i do hope he turns his life around, but he has got away pretty lightly for what he did imo. He needs to prove himself now over a decent chunk of time. I know somebody who will more than likely know better than me what he is like as person, i'll trust their judgement on it when i find out.

well let me pose this question.

you are employed as a brick layer or bank teller. you get in trouble for the same stuff lodge did?? do you get the sack or told to behave yourself before being allowed back to your profession?? i would have no doubt that people i work with have a history but because it doesnt sell papers its not covered. ill admit i was an ordinary person for a whil when i first turned 18, but you either learn quickly and improve as a person or end up the other way and in an orange jumpsuit out ipswich way..
i used to be in the fold of they can get stuffed etc, however i think the media and so called do good elitist's these days prefer ruin over redemption..

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
well let me pose this question.

you are employed as a brick layer or bank teller. you get in trouble for the same stuff lodge did?? do you get the sack or told to behave yourself before being allowed back to your profession?? i would have no doubt that people i work with have a history but because it doesnt sell papers its not covered. ill admit i was an ordinary person for a whil when i first turned 18, but you either learn quickly and improve as a person or end up the other way and in an orange jumpsuit out ipswich way..
i used to be in the fold of they can get stuffed etc, however i think the media and so called do good elitist's these days prefer ruin over redemption..
In the same vein. What if they were a teacher? Remember these people are role models and they get paid accordingly as it is those people deciding to watch them that pays the bills

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's a very complicated discussion that boils down to a very simple question and that is 'what is your definition of justice?' Are you trying to deter others from comitting the same acts? Are you trying to reintergrate the perp back into the community so he doesn't feel compelled to commit crimes again? It's not really black and white and isn't really something a lot of footy experts have much of a view of (but a lot do, some of the best and brightest have a criminal justice background).

Never the less, with a crime as serious as Lodge's I think another year to prove himself in the ISC with the right amount of community work etc. should suffice. He's already had an entire year rubbed out, with another year completely taken from him, a two year ban sounds like a fair amount of time.

If he mucks up that chance, fair enough, he can kiss his footy career goodbye but this is a game that looks after all sorts and if it can help somebody put the past behind them then I'm happy to embrace it. I completely understand others having a different view, but that's just my view on rehabilitation and youth crime.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
1. Boyd (c)
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Sims
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Marshall
15. Glenn
16. Pangai Jr
17. Fai

This is the way I'm leaning for Round 1.

Having Marshall on the bench ahead of another forward or Nikorima may raise some questions, but I'm quite comfortable with it, it enables us to bring him on at left centre, shift Kahu to left wing and have Oates play some minutes in the backrow. It also enables us to bring him on if Milford & Hunt are stagnating the attack, which they're known to do for large periods of a game, having an extra play maker on stand-by could be huge for a couple of reasons. A) It will send a rocket up their ass, if they don't do their job, Marshall will come on and help them do it & B) Injury cover if anyone from 1-7 gets injured, Benji could more or less fill in, whereas Nikorima has shown he struggles heavily at Centre & Wing defensively.

This team would more or less be experimental, if Milford & Hunt round in to form quickly and Benji turns out to be surplus to needs, or just isn't up to it anymore, we send him to Redcliffe and bring in another forward or Nikorima, whatever seems to be necessary at the time.

In regards to Ofahengaue, Ese'ese, Arrow & Su'A - I expect them all to be playing 80 minutes for their respective ISC teams and ready to play at a moments notice. Pangai Jr & Fai have been our best 2 forwards in the trial vs Sharks and the WCC, they've earned first shot imo.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
In the same vein. What if they were a teacher? Remember these people are role models and they get paid accordingly as it is those people deciding to watch them that pays the bills

see this is where i differ. i dont see them as role models and im not sure a lot of the players do either (especially in their younger days) i am a massive fan of j.t and what he has done but do we consider him a role model for taking a fee to play in the 9's?? so called promoting the game etc. he doesnt play the 9's unless their is a fee.
its a media based term again thats thrown around very loosely.

a role model is a mum or dad or an individual who distinguishes them selves in a way where others admire or want to emulate them.
why should a 21yr old kid be told he is a role model?
me personally i dont see professional sports people as role models, its just their profession.
everyone will have a differing opinion on this.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Since when are RL players considered role models? Most can't speak a full sentence. Amazing tough and talented athletes, definitely. But role models? Too much is expected of these guys sometimes.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Since when are RL players considered role models? Most can't speak a full sentence. Amazing tough and talented athletes, definitely. But role models? Too much is expected of these guys sometimes.

Professional athlete. One of those words implies something approaching role model status to impressionable youngsters.

There are good and bad role models. You don't get a choice to be a role model, you simply are by virtue of society.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Calling them role models maybe a poor term, but they're definitely an influence on the community and I think they need to be mindful of that.

One of the best moments of last year was after Origin I when JT took the time to talk about that school in North Queensland. I'm not sure if it had any impact, but it certainly gained media attention and in a time where I was becoming more disenfranchised with the competition it stands out as a highlight.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
1. Boyd (c)
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Sims
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Marshall
15. Glenn
16. Pangai Jr
17. Fai

This is the way I'm leaning for Round 1.

Having Marshall on the bench ahead of another forward or Nikorima may raise some questions, but I'm quite comfortable with it, it enables us to bring him on at left centre, shift Kahu to left wing and have Oates play some minutes in the backrow. It also enables us to bring him on if Milford & Hunt are stagnating the attack, which they're known to do for large periods of a game, having an extra play maker on stand-by could be huge for a couple of reasons. A) It will send a rocket up their ass, if they don't do their job, Marshall will come on and help them do it & B) Injury cover if anyone from 1-7 gets injured, Benji could more or less fill in, whereas Nikorima has shown he struggles heavily at Centre & Wing defensively.

This team would more or less be experimental, if Milford & Hunt round in to form quickly and Benji turns out to be surplus to needs, or just isn't up to it anymore, we send him to Redcliffe and bring in another forward or Nikorima, whatever seems to be necessary at the time.

In regards to Ofahengaue, Ese'ese, Arrow & Su'A - I expect them all to be playing 80 minutes for their respective ISC teams and ready to play at a moments notice. Pangai Jr & Fai have been our best 2 forwards in the trial vs Sharks and the WCC, they've earned first shot imo.

You are extremely warm Unbreakable. Only Fai is wrong, he will not be picked in first grade round 1. You can take that as fact . Wayne is still to decide between Benji an KNick, but Benji is favour slightly at this stage. Again, all comes down to their injury recovery as to who get the nod.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I keep seeing allegedly!! Look im not saying what may have happened was ok , but to glass someone you suppose to love . Maybe i just have different veiws on how you should treat your loved ones.

Was that ever proven?

I recall the case being dropped.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
see this is where i differ. i dont see them as role models and im not sure a lot of the players do either (especially in their younger days) i am a massive fan of j.t and what he has done but do we consider him a role model for taking a fee to play in the 9's?? so called promoting the game etc. he doesnt play the 9's unless their is a fee.

a role model is a mum or dad or an individual who distinguishes them selves in a way where others admire or want to emulate them.
me personally i dont see professional sports people as role models, its just their profession.
Rugby leagu players are athletes who are good at running into each other, if you're happy to hand over the guidance of your kids to them you're setting yourself up for disappointment .

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Technically he's not a felon, he's a misdemeanant.
Yes, although he wouldn't have had that leniency in the US. Still, people whom commit crimes at that level, be it Lodge, Packer or Metcalf, should have a right and opportunity to redeem themselves, but need to well and truly prove they have redeemed themselves before being allowed back into the limelight. Lodge is not even close to that!

People were judging, condemning and sending Roberts away for allegedly pulling a woman's hair in a bar, but are ok with the likes of Lodge wearing our jersey, just because they're not satisfied with the youngsters performances after a few games...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
No, that was the testimony of the victim and subsequent decision of the judge. Your opinion or mine on the matter is absolutely irrelevant.

As much as I think Bird is a lowlife, the NRL can't punish him for something he hasn't been proven guilty of!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Do you really think the bold isn't the exact definition of a sports star, especially for younger kids?

What does it tell them, when they realise that committing serious violent offences isn't gonna stop you from having a career in a high profile sport, while earning massive amounts of money...?

Rugby leagu players are athletes who are good at running into each other, if you're happy to hand over the guidance of your kids to them you're setting yourself up for disappointment .
High profile (note the 2 words) athletes are by virtue of their position... role models, whether they like it or not.
For parents to guide and teach them values, especially at vulnerable later teen ages, examples like this do NOT help.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • leon.bott
  • Santa
  • Maroon4life
  • Fozz
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • thenry
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.