2017 Line-up

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
He could have killed a man trying to help in front of his family with one of those punches. Drop the moral equity act. Both scum acts, no need to put one above the other.

Under certain circumstances, a man punching another man is more socially acceptable than a man glassing a woman. Not these circumstances.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Is glassing your wife a psycho act ? Just asking you a question!

absolutely it is ... but if you are going to continue with this at least get your facts right ... it was Bird's girlfriend not wife (they may not even still be together either)

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Lodge is a piece of shit, playing for the Broncos won't change that.

But god we need some more props, anything to hide our halves inadequacies.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
absolutely it is ... but if you are going to continue with this at least get your facts right ... it was Bird's girlfriend not wife (they may not even still be together either)

Yeah ok that makes it so much better.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
He could have killed a man trying to help in front of his family with one of those punches. Drop the moral equity act. Both scum acts, no need to put one above the other.

Under certain circumstances, a man punching another man is more socially acceptable than a man glassing a woman. Not these circumstances.

He could have baked them a cake too. You can't judge someone by something he didn't do.

Lodge is plenty guilty of assault, probably break and enter and threatening violence. Surely that is enough without imaging how it might have been worse?

I think he will be a Bronco sooner rather than later however. This is due to the precedent set by the NRL over Russell Packer.

Packer's assault charge took place in November 2013 and he was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment, reduced to 1 on appeal. He spent 2014 in prison and returned to NSW Cup in 2015. In 2016 he returned to NRL with the Dragons.

Lodge's assault occured in October 2015. He wasn't sentenced to a term of imprisonment in a jurisdiction known to sentence people more harshly that we do, for this offence. He sat out league for the whole 2016 season and in 2017 he will return to Qld Cup.

Based on this precedent NRL seems likely to allow him to play in 2018 if there are no further issues, and possibly later in 2017, given he was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment (ie: perceived seriousness of the offending).

That is my view and if the NRL decide to register him, I'd rather he play for us than against...

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
He could have baked them a cake too. You can't judge someone by something he didn't do.

Lodge is plenty guilty of assault, probably break and enter and threatening violence. Surely that is enough without imaging how it might have been worse?

He threatened to kill people.

So he's lucky he's not in jail for attempted murder, given his actions indicated he intended to follow through with his threats.

Don't want him at the Broncos, personally.

Fin.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
He threatened to kill people.

So he's lucky he's not in jail for attempted murder, given his actions indicated he intended to follow through with his threats.

Don't want him at the Broncos, personally.

Fin.

The problem with attempted murder is that you actually have to try (and intend) to murder someone and then fail, before you've committed that offence.

I don't condone Lodge's actions but he didn't do that.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
The problem with attempted murder is that you actually have to try and murder someone and then fail, before you've committed that offence.

I don't condone Lodge's actions but he didn't do that.

Breaking into someone's home, telling them you're going to kill them and then choking and punching them in the head isn't evidence of that?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Breaking into someone's home, telling them you're going to kill them and then choking and punching them in the head isn't evidence of that?

Nope. I've charged a bloke for stabbing someone in the heart during a robbery and an esteemed jury of our peers found it wasn't attempted murder. Only robbery and Acts intended to cause Grievous Bodily Harm...

Regardless of this, Lodge wasn't convicted of breaking into anyone's home, nor choking anyone. Only a Misdemeanour assault (in our parlance - common assault, a less serious charge than Packer was convicted of.)

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Nope. I've charged a bloke for stabbing someone in the heart during a robbery and an esteemed jury of our peers found it wasn't attempted murder. Only robbery and Acts intended to cause Grievous Bodily Harm.

So is your problem with the law or the act itself?

Should he not be in jail?

All your post suggests is people are idiots.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
So is your problem with the law or the act itself?

Both. He is a grub but our legal system (and clearly NRL policy) is to give people second chances. When he is playing, he is a good prop forward and heaven knows we desperately need another one. I am becoming less and less impressed by our crop of juniors with each game and if we can pick up a quality prop that is all to the good of this team and hopefully to the good of Lodge too, who I hope can turn his life around and make something of himself.

Should he not be in jail?

I have sat through so many sentencings that I rarely get emotional about them any more. The range of factors judges consider when handing them down is so extensive (and at times ridiculous) that I don't criticise sentences necessarily anymore.

I'd have to read the sentencing remarks to determine what reasoning the judge gave for not imprisoning him and you have to look at comparative sentences before you form that opinion if you want it in any way to mirror reality. As a generality, people don't usually go to jail for common assault convictions.

However my opinion is that, the above notwithstanding, yes. He should have been imprisoned when sentenced. Should he still be in prison? Probably not for that level of offending.

Again however look at Packer. He was convicted of a more serious offence. He did 12 months in jail and is now playing in the NRL.

We are constantly asking for consistency from NRL officials. So if Packer can, why can't Lodge play?

All your post suggests is people are idiots.

In a large amount of cases, I have no problem with that statement.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
HE PLEAD GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of those two idiots arrested last week for bashing a bloke, they came out after the court hearing and declared justice has been served.

The reporter then reminded them that they plead guilty....

*Awkward silence*

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Oh f

Oh ffs.
So, a bloke punching another bloke in the head is the same as a bloke glassing a woman.

Physically assaulting and giving death threats in front of a nine year old child is.
What the hell is your point anyway, that our scum bag isn't as bad as a past nrl scum bag?
Get off it.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It was a plea deal ! So he could get leniency! Like i said fool not saying it wasn't wrong ! I'M SAYING GLASSING YOUR WIFE IS WORSE!!!!!!
Far from me to defend a POS like Bird, but if we're going to nitpick, guess what... Bird's girlfriend at the time denied being attacked, on the contrary, and Bird's conviction was overturned.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/judge-q...on-for-glassing-girlfriend-20091125-jpn5.html

Whether the above is true or not, is a different question, and more importantly, the fact Bird was allowed to return to the NRL in no way warrants Lodge the same right. Two wrongs don't make a right, besides one is a convicted felon, the other is not.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
He went to jail, he never killed anyone, he didn't rape anyone. He did however commit a gross act of violence. He was judged by the courts and served the sentence they perceived as fit for the crime. He never had to serve further time. So according to the high horse riding HQ forumers he never deserves to redeem himself. If he has cleaned up his act, steers clear of drugs and booze and is involved with the community in a good way then he can put on our stripes in my opinion. If he is just a thug who does not commit to an honest path then send him packing.

Unread

Active Now

• Strop
  • Swordfish
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Santa
  • Rambstien
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.