2019 Broncos Line-up

Off-contract Joe Ofahengaue keen to stay on with Bennett-less Broncos
3f7dc79965a17372d086fee13f313d8e

JOE Ofahengaue has vowed to not let Wayne Bennett’s departure affect his future in the NRL, admitting his heart is with the Broncos as he goes on the open market on Thursday.
The powerhouse forward is one of seven Brisbane players who can now be signed for season 2020 and beyond with the arrival of the NRL’s November 1 contract deadline.
The Broncos are set to become one of the most watched clubs over the next 12 months, given current coach Bennett is headed to South Sydney in 2020 with Anthony Seibold to take over the reins from the 68-year-old.
d16055ce255f5c69ccacd139fa5f6c2e

Joe Ofahengaue is off-contract for 2020. (AAP Image/Glenn Hunt)
Alongside Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai Jr, Alex Glenn, Patrick Carrigan, George Fai, Patrick Mago and Andre Savelio are also off-contract, making them targets not just for the Rabbitohs but other NRL clubs.
And while speculation has already started that Pangai Jr could follow his respected mentor out the door, Ofahengaue has indicated he wants to stay at Red Hill.
The 23-year-old – who had his best season to date in 2018 – said as long as the Broncos want him, he will put Brisbane first and Bennett’s looming departure is unlikely to affect that.
“I’d love to stay here,” Ofahengaue told The Courier-Mail.
“I don’t think anyone would want to leave here unless you were forced to leave.
7ff4ef5fd2f8786029f7970d1e2c5f53

Ofahengaue is keen to stay with the Broncos beyond the 2019 season. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
“We have the best facilities in the NRL, we have awesome staff, an awesome CEO … everyone at the club is really helpful. It’s a hard place to leave.
“It really is about the club. Wayne did have a lot influence on players signing here but it’s a business. It is what it is.”
As for the other big name Broncos players who are off-contract, South Sydney have already expressed an interest in Pangai Jr, who recently revealed he was going to sign a one-year deal for 2019 so he could test his value again after another season in the NRL.
The Tongan sensation has spoken many times before of Bennett’s influence on him, including the fact he came to Brisbane from Canberra to be taught by the supercoach.
96c4187d5107d5021680e038fe31146a

Wayne Bennett’s departure may play a role in Ofahengaue’s decision. (AAP Image/Darren England)
Glenn is another international who is off-contract but has expressed a desire to remain a one-club player, while young gun Carrigan has already had interest from the Bulldogs, Raiders and Knights.
The Queensland under-20s captain is someone the Broncos will want to keep in their system but he could also come on to South Sydney’s radar given his potential to be an NRL gun.
While all players will begin to weigh up their futures from Thursday, Ofahengaue said he was going to first focus on his 2019 season with Brisbane.
He said he earned a contract extension in 2017 just by backing himself on the field and wants to do the same next year, especially given it will be Bennett’s final season at the club.
70bab419b12187b5906f12f1462becdb

Ofahengaue was strong for Tonga against Australia. (Photo by Anthony Au-Yeung/Getty Images)
Ofahengaue – who made his NRL debut under Bennett in 2015 – said the seven-time premiership-winning coach had done plenty for him over his career and the players would want to repay him next year, even if Bennett does not want them to think that way.
“He will just want us to go out there and bloody win a comp,” Ofahengaue said.
“He wouldn’t want us to win it for him.
“He’s been really honest with me since the start … Whenever I had something silly going on in my life, I always knew I could talk to Wayne.
“He’s taught me a lot of lessons, not just with footy but life as well. He’s done that for a lot of players.”
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ca9263f305de26f74b8d12edd0f5db02

Last edited:
Offa was one that was never going to leave.

Doesn't his girlfriend have cancer? IIRC, her family is up here so I couldn't see them moving to another state.

Offa was one that was never going to leave.

Doesn't his girlfriend have cancer? IIRC, her family is up here so I couldn't see them moving to another state.

She just finished her last chemo treatment from I saw on his IG.

He has zero reason to move, with Sims and Thaiday gone, a starting role is there for him and he’s close to Origin. And he should be starting as he takes a little bit to get going. Playing him off the bench generally means we don’t see his best input til almost HT or the second half

David Fifita's milestone season
Author
Nathan Jones
Thu 1 Nov 2018, 06:01 PM
It’s hard to contemplate that this 107kg wrecking ball is just 18 years of age. David Fifita is one of few players to have played Mal Meninga Cup, Intrust Super Cup and NRL in the same season.
Fifita started the season playing for Souths Logan Magpies in the Mal Meninga Cup, and eventually captained the side to a 18-16 Grand Final victory against fellow Brisbane Broncos feeder club, Norths Devils.
Fififta was near unstoppable, running in 13 tries in 10 games of Mal Meninga Cup, including back to back hat-tricks between Rounds five and six.
Further to his efforts, Fifita was named captain of the Queensland Under 18’s side, and was also selected for Queensland Under 20’s, but had to withdraw due to NRL commitments.
Intrust Super Cup Stats: (Souths Logan Magpies):
- Games: 4
- Tries: 1
- Average Run M: 165m
- Tackles: 82
- Line Breaks: 2
- Tackle Breaks: 32
- Post Contact M: 243
Fifita played four Intrust Super Cup games for Souths Logan Magpies in which he averaged a 165 running metres and eight tackle breaks per game. As a result, Fifita was called up to the Brisbane Broncos side where he played 11 games, averaged 101 running metres and scored three tries.
NRL Stats: (Brisbane Broncos)
- Games: 11
- Tries: 3
- Average Run M: 101
- Tackles: 227
- Line Breaks: 3
- Post Contact M: 439m
2018 Awards
- Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year
- QLD Rep Player of the Year (QLD U18’s)
- Greg Veivers Mal Meninga Cup Best Forward (Souths Logan Magpies)

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/112/01/david-fifita---2018-season-review/

Last edited:
David Fifita's milestone season
Author
Nathan Jones
Thu 1 Nov 2018, 06:01 PM
It’s hard to contemplate that this 107kg wrecking ball is just 18 years of age. David Fifita is one of few players to have played Mal Meninga Cup, Intrust Super Cup and NRL in the same season.
Fifita started the season playing for Souths Logan Magpies in the Mal Meninga Cup, and eventually captained the side to a 18-16 Grand Final victory against fellow Brisbane Broncos feeder club, Norths Devils.
Fififta was near unstoppable, running in 13 tries in 10 games of Mal Meninga Cup, including back to back hat-tricks between Rounds five and six.
Further to his efforts, Fifita was named captain of the Queensland Under 18’s side, and was also selected for Queensland Under 20’s, but had to withdraw due to NRL commitments.
Intrust Super Cup Stats: (Souths Logan Magpies):
- Games: 4
- Tries: 1
- Average Run M: 165m
- Tackles: 82
- Line Breaks: 2
- Post Contact M: 243
Fifita played four Intrust Super Cup games for Souths Logan Magpies in which he averaged a 165 running metres and eight tackle breaks per game. As a result, Fifita was called up to the Brisbane Broncos side where he played 11 games, averaged 101 running metres and scored three tries.
NRL Stats: (Brisbane Broncos)
- Games: 11
- Tries: 3
- Average Run M: 101
- Tackles: 227
- Line Breaks: 3
- Post Contact M: 439m
2018 Awards
- Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year
- QLD Rep Player of the Year (QLD U18’s)
- Greg Veivers Mal Meninga Cup Best Forward (Souths Logan Magpies)
Don’t want to go off early (Dave Taylor), but this kid really could be anything if he keeps developing at a steady rate.

Thankfully, seems like he has the attitude, smarts and work ethic to succeed too.

Exciting times.

Interesting to see Boyd and Paix not in the squad.

Good to see Flegler and Carrigan in it, though.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.