2019 Broncos Line-up

I keep reading articles about TPJ and he seems to be the hot topic, but is anyone else excited as **** about Haas? I feel like last season he was a bit underdone and unlucky with his injury. I reckon this guy will be a household name by the end of next season, as will be Fifita and Sua. Hard not to get excited I reckon.

I haven't seen him in the lower grades and obviously he didn't get a chance to show much last season. So I'm just going by what others have said and the crazy amount of money that we've spent on him...I fucking hope you're right.

What factors? The only thing that matters is how he performs for us, and nobody really has apart from 14 mins in a trial.

As I've mentioned before being decent in Super league doesn't mean you are going to be decent in the NRL. Look at Tomkins and Greg Eden. They killed it in Super league, couldn't handle it over here.

You are reading way too much into a newspaper article. At the moment, he is just another in a long line of players people on here read about in the press and push for them to be included even though they have never seen him play.

Dude, you need to chill out.. You jump at everything I say trying to oppose it.

I think you're projecting onto me and it's quite unpleasant.

All I have stated is that Savelio was pretty close to playing this year if not for injury.

Read what I say and don't just react with hostility.

Haas' biggest concern is his body. Twice now he's been unable to complete a season and for his sake, there better not be a third. In saying that, I was impressed with his maturity last season. In 2017 he was tearing up the NYC and it would have been so easy for him to fall for those bad habits and take them into the ISC. What impressed me is that he showed the competition the level of respect it deserved and kept his mistakes to a minimum. That translated well into first grade where he pulled off that impressive second stint against Souths.

That game against Souths isn't going to go down in legend, but it was a good victory for the Broncos.

It's why I wouldn't break the bank chasing after another forward. Cameron Murray is an excellent prospect, but I'm not sure if he'll end up better than the players we already have coming through. Patrick Carrigan, David Fifita & Payne Haas are excellent prospects in their own right and it'd be a shame to lose one or two of them just to bring in Murray.

You can certainly add Flegler in that company as well. If the Broncos lose Pangai, go and use that money in a position of need. A good left centre would be a start.

Last edited:
A good left centre would be a start.

JackBird.jpg

The problem with Jack is that everything about his game suits the right edge.

It's where he's predominately played his footy, even when he'd play fullback, he usually played more towards his right than left.

If the Broncos compromise on Bird, they may as well set him free.

You almost have to feel sorry for Jack, on top of all his injuries, and surgeries, and form issues, he moved to a new team and barely got to play a game which must make things a little difficult to earn your team mates respect especially given the price tag but further more, he moved to Brisbane to play under Wayne and if the coach swap happens this preseason he will barely have even got to do that.

You almost have to feel sorry for Jack, on top of all his injuries, and surgeries, and form issues, he moved to a new team and barely got to play a game which must make things a little difficult to earn your team mates respect especially given the price tag but further more, he moved to Brisbane to play under Wayne and if the coach swap happens this preseason he will barely have even got to do that.

Yep, I feel sorry for him. Must be hard to get paid $650,000 - $1,200,000 a year to not work much...

Yep, I feel sorry for him. Must be hard to get paid $650,000 - $1,200,000 a year to not work much...

And has one of the hottest wags going around to nurse him to bed every night. In all seriousness though, he’s even dropped off the nsw blues pecking order so his pride would be somewhat dented

Haas' biggest concern is his body. Twice now he's been unable to complete a season and for his sake, there better not be a third. In saying that, I was impressed with his maturity last season. In 2017 he was tearing up the NYC and it would have been so easy for him to fall for those bad habits and take them into the ISC. What impressed me is that he showed the competition the level of respect it deserved and kept his mistakes to a minimum. That translated well into first grade where he pulled off that impressive second stint against Souths.

That game against Souths isn't going to go down in legend, but it was a good victory for the Broncos.

It's why I wouldn't break the bank chasing after another forward. Cameron Murray is an excellent prospect, but I'm not sure if he'll end up better than the players we already have coming through. Patrick Carrigan, David Fifita & Payne Haas are excellent prospects in their own right and it'd be a shame to lose one or two of them just to bring in Murray.

You can certainly add Flegler in that company as well. If the Broncos lose Pangai, go and use that money in a position of need. A good left centre would be a start.
Yeah agree with the concerns with his body.... Also he's 18 and 120kgs he'll have to watch his weight if he is to retain his athletic ability. A bloke his size that has his athletic abilities is pretty rare so I hope he keeps himself in good nick.

Looks like Brian Kelly from Manly is signing with Titans and he wouldn’t come cheap. No way will they be able to afford Roberts and I can’t see him moving to any other club. So Roberts should be staying put.

Looks like Brian Kelly from Manly is signing with Titans and he wouldn’t come cheap. No way will they be able to afford Roberts and I can’t see him moving to any other club. So Roberts should be staying put.

that was just more media BS anyway ...

Roberts has gotten his life together, and the Broncos were a big part of that ... if he was going to try and get out of his contract with us, it would only be to follow Bennett ... but I doubt that the Rabbitohs would have the salary cap space to afford him.

Dude, you need to chill out.. You jump at everything I say trying to oppose it.

I think you're projecting onto me and it's quite unpleasant.

All I have stated is that Savelio was pretty close to playing this year if not for injury.

Read what I say and don't just react with hostility.

I'm not jumping on you at all, not my fault you come out with some odd stuff. I doubt you have seen him play at all ( like a few of our kids that get bought up for a first team spot when people probably wouldn't know who they are if they knocked them over in the street) so I really don't get how you can come to any conclusion about him until you do. There are so many over hyped next big things that never live up to the press hype it's not funny.

And all I'm saying is I really doubt he would have been close to playing even if he was fit if every other back rower didn't get injured.

And I'm not a dude. You're a dude. I'm a man. A handsome, muscular man.

Last edited:
A bloke his size that has his athletic abilities is pretty rare so I hope he keeps himself in good nick.

Hill of pain' gives Brisbane rookie Haas a huge engine
Author
Joel Gould
Tue 3 Apr 2018, 02:33 PM
Broncos behemoth Payne Haas has credited tortuous runs up a steep kilometre-long bushland hill as a youth for creating the massive motor he now possesses.
In the pre-season, a cavalcade of Broncos stars lined up to wax lyrical about the extraordinary engine of the 18-year-old in training drills where his endurance and hunger for hard work had the likes of Alex Glenn, Sam Thaiday and Korbin Sims awestruck.
Glenn called Haas "no pain" after watching the 194cm and 120kg giant motor on and on, and on, during one session.
Haas's Keebra Park High schoolboy coach Glen Campbell also told NRL.com about the prop's extraordinary "VO2 max", an athlete's capacity to perform sustained exercise, and how he had not come across a big young forward with such durability.
The question that remained unanswered was why Haas was out of the box in this regard but now the man himself has shed light on the mystery.
"It all comes from my dad [Greg] just training me hard," Haas told NRL.com after helping Wynnum-Manly beat Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup.
"We had acreage on a house near the Gold Coast and there was this massive kilometre-long hill that we used to run up and it was really steep.
"Dad used to make me run up it. I would have run up it a hundred times when I was 12. It was all bushland and it was hard going, but it made me mentally tough and who I am right now.
"My big brother Jonah was my training partner and he would push me to my limits. Dad said fitness was the number one priority for me coming into footy. I've got a big body so I've got to be fit. I was mentally ready for [the Broncos pre-season] because Dad put all that into me."
It wasn't just his old man and his brother that were cracking the whip on a young Payne. His mother Joan was also a tough taskmaster.
"Mum was real hard on me too," he grinned.
"Dad was the one who trained us but Mum would get in behind us and get up us if we weren't giving one hundred per cent.
"I remember when I was younger I'd get called over at half-time and Mum would give me a little spray and tell me to get on with it."
Greg has Swiss and Filipino heritage and Campbell had speculated in the earlier NRL.com article that Haas' endurance might be a hereditary thing - perhaps there were some long-distance skiers from the Swiss Alps in his ancestry, he mused.
"My dad was a national hurdler and was supposed to be the next big thing in hurdles but injuries got the better of him," Haas said.
"He went to the Pan Pacific Games as a young kid and was one of the best in Australia at the time but he had hamstring problems."
When you play in the Broncos kit it makes you proud to be a Bronco. I just want more of that, and I can't wait for it.
Payne Haas
Haas is still in his development phase, playing Intrust Super Cup with the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls.
Last month Broncos coach Wayne Bennett told NRL.com that a crop of young forwards, which include Patrick Carrigan and Thomas Flegler, would reap the benefits from playing in the Intrust Super Cup and not the now defunct national under 20s competition.
Haas said he was learning plenty playing for the Seagulls."It is good for me because I am a young body and I have to get used to the contact with men and get used to the physicality," he said.
Haas impressed in the pre-season trial for Brisbane against the CQ Capras and can't wait to don the Broncos jersey again.
"It was awesome to get a taste of it in the trials and it just makes you more hungry," he said.
"When you play in the Broncos kit it makes you proud to be a Bronco. I just want more of that, and I can't wait for it."

Appears we don't have much to worry about. That’s if he continues of course.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/03...ane-broncos-rookie-payne-haas-massive-engine/

TPJ may well end up feeling the same about Seibold as he does for Wayne given 12 months together.

That’s why I said almost. But just like Ben Hunt, a big pay check doesn’t make you ammune to emotion

Could someone pls post the article on the CM titled
Broncos future with new halves
Thanks

Last edited:

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Dexter
  • Broncs1459
  • Harry Sack
  • Griffo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Manofoneway
  • bb_gun
  • Maddy
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Sproj
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • davidp
  • Wolfie
  • MrMoore
  • BruiserMk1
  • broncsgoat
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.