2019 Broncos Line-up

Could someone pls post the article on the CM titled
Broncos future with new halves
Thanks
The Front Row: The Broncos aren’t going anywhere unless they fix their problematic halves pairing
IT DOESN’T matter much if Anthony Seibold or Wayne Bennett coaches the Broncos next year if their playmaking capabilities don’t improve.
The elusive seventh Broncos premiership wouldn’t come next year and the wait may test the patience of their most fervent supporters.
Defence is the first thing that has to improve at the Broncos next year, but so does the halves combination with Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford.
Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford are not the halves that will lead the Brisbane Broncos to their next premiership.
What the Broncos do have is at least six good, young playmakers in the pipeline.
The Broncos recruiters, knowing they need to haul in the next great Queensland playmaking talent, have thrown a considerable net over youth talent in the halves.
The last three Test halfbacks from Queensland – Daly Cherry Evans, Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston – have all forged careers away from Brisbane, as has Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster.
Roosters recruit Sean O’Sullivan will be at the front of the queue as a live first-grade option to put pressure on Nikorima in 2019.
But 18-year-old playmakers Corey Paix and Tanah Boyd, both highly rated by Darren Lockyer and both representatives in state age teams, could press after one more year, at least, with Intrust Super Cup clubs.
A year below Paix and Boyd, and also in the Broncos system, are Josh James and Tom Dearden.
James and Dearden were Queensland Schoolboys teammates this year.
Tom Dearden could be the future halfback the Broncos so desperately need.
Dearden, who played for Tweed Seagulls last season, is away with the Australian Schoolboys team now in England.
Former Parramatta junior and NSW under-20 halfback Troy Dargan will enter his second season with the Broncos system, having had a 20-game campaign with Norths Devils this year.
Paix and Boyd played in the Queensland under-18 side this winter.
Each young man will have his own boosters and some will be right.
Evaluating teenage playmaking talent is a little like trying to spot a supernova in the night sky.
O’Sullivan will be in the Broncos first grade squad in the pre-season and will start the season in the pecking order behind Kiwi Test halfback Nikorima.
But he’s not been brought to Red Hill as a project player and is well regarded for his kicking game and organisation abilities (or at least as well regarded as any halfback can be after one NRL game).
Milford and Josh McGuire have made clear that the Broncos players who make their return to training this week and later in the year believe Bennett’s word that he will coach them in 2019 even though so many pundits say he will move before Christmas to South Sydney.
The weekend’s developments that Souths want the Broncos to foot the bill for the contractual costs of the clubs swapping coaches for 2019 beggar one question: why?
One Sydney report said $600,000 would free the coaches up. Another put the figure at $500,000.
Tanah Boyd is highly rated by Broncos legend Darren Lockyer.
Since Souths announced on October 25 that Bennett would coach them from 2020 on a two-year deal, two things have changed.
The people convinced the two clubs can’t proceed in 2019 with Bennett in Brisbane and Seibold at Redfern are even more voluble that it can’t happen.
And there have been media reports that Souths players are unhappy with Seibold for wanting to leave them.
I would have thought it was South Sydney’s responsibility to keep Rabbitohs players motivated and content, not Brisbane’s.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...g/news-story/52d62a46d9bbe3f9a03e6688903e8734

IT DOESN’T matter much if Anthony Seibold or Wayne Bennett coaches the Broncos next year if their playmaking capabilities don’t improve.
The elusive seventh Broncos premiership wouldn’t come next year and the wait may test the patience of their most fervent supporters.
Defence is the first thing that has to improve at the Broncos next year, but so does the halves combination with Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford.
Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford are not the halves that will lead the Brisbane Broncos to their next premiership. Picture: Peter Wallis
What the Broncos do have is at least six good, young playmakers in the pipeline.
The Broncos recruiters, knowing they need to haul in the next great Queensland playmaking talent, have thrown a considerable net over youth talent in the halves.
The last three Test halfbacks from Queensland – Daly Cherry Evans, Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston – have all forged careers away from Brisbane, as has Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster.
Roosters recruit Sean O’Sullivan will be at the front of the queue as a live first-grade option to put pressure on Nikorima in 2019.
But 18-year-old playmakers Corey Paix and Tanah Boyd, both highly rated by Darren Lockyer and both representatives in state age teams, could press after one more year, at least, with Intrust Super Cup clubs.
A year below Paix and Boyd, and also in the Broncos system, are Josh James and Tom Dearden.
James and Dearden were Queensland Schoolboys teammates this year.
Tom Dearden could be the future halfback the Broncos so desperately need.
Dearden, who played for Tweed Seagulls last season, is away with the Australian Schoolboys team now in England.
Former Parramatta junior and NSW under-20 halfback Troy Dargan will enter his second season with the Broncos system, having had a 20-game campaign with Norths Devils this year.
Paix and Boyd played in the Queensland under-18 side this winter.
Each young man will have his own boosters and some will be right.
Evaluating teenage playmaking talent is a little like trying to spot a supernova in the night sky.
O’Sullivan will be in the Broncos first grade squad in the pre-season and will start the season in the pecking order behind Kiwi Test halfback Nikorima.
But he’s not been brought to Red Hill as a project player and is well regarded for his kicking game and organisation abilities (or at least as well regarded as any halfback can be after one NRL game).
Milford and Josh McGuire have made clear that the Broncos players who make their return to training this week and later in the year believe Bennett’s word that he will coach them in 2019 even though so many pundits say he will move before Christmas to South Sydney.
The weekend’s developments that Souths want the Broncos to foot the bill for the contractual costs of the clubs swapping coaches for 2019 beggar one question: why?
One Sydney report said $600,000 would free the coaches up. Another put the figure at $500,000.
Tanah Boyd is highly rated by Broncos legend Darren Lockyer. Picture: Adam Head
Since Souths announced on October 25 that Bennett would coach them from 2020 on a two-year deal, two things have changed.
The people convinced the two clubs can’t proceed in 2019 with Bennett in Brisbane and Seibold at Redfern are even more voluble that it can’t happen.
And there have been media reports that Souths players are unhappy with Seibold for wanting to leave them.
I would have thought it was South Sydney’s responsibility to keep Rabbitohs players motivated and content, not Brisbane’s.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...g/news-story/52d62a46d9bbe3f9a03e6688903e8734

Last edited:
He would have probably got a shot by default at some point with all the injuries, no doubt about it. Nobody though can say for sure, he might just not settle, or get used to the climate or he might just be a super league player who stars over there or comes here with big wraps ( Burgess, Eden, Tomkins, Mathers, Sarginson) and just cant cut the mustard. Tbf, English forwards do tend to do pretty well.

I can actually see him playing a similar role to TPJ. From the little i have seen of him playing for Warrington He can play lock, front row and back row, has a good offload too. Could be an ideal replace for him if he can get up to speed.

I'll probably be in the minority, but i wouldnt even bother signing TPJ on a one year deal. Rather see us develop players who want to commit longer.

I'm not jumping on you at all, not my fault you come out with some odd stuff. I doubt you have seen him play at all ( like a few of our kids that get bought up for a first team spot when people probably wouldn't know who they are if they knocked them over in the street) so I really don't get how you can come to any conclusion about him until you do. There are so many over hyped next big things that never live up to the press hype it's not funny.

And all I'm saying is I really doubt he would have been close to playing even if he was fit if every other back rower didn't get injured.

And I'm not a dude. You're a dude. I'm a man. A handsome, muscular man.

Dude, you need to chill out.. You jump at everything I say trying to oppose it.

I think you're projecting onto me and it's quite unpleasant.

All I have stated is that Savelio was pretty close to playing this year if not for injury.

Read what I say and don't just react with hostility.

Just chill out. He was pretty close this year.

Last edited:
So we have all the junior rep team halves on our books but neither of them are better than niko yet?

So we have all the junior rep team halves on our books but neither of them are better than niko yet?

Just too young and inexperienced. The pathway to the halves for Broncos looks like there's only room for one half though.. If we truly see Milford as our long term 6.

Just chill out. He was pretty close this year.

I'm lovely and chilled. Aircon is great. I feel like you are stalking me now.

And he wasnt close. I dont really know how you can say he was close when he got injured 14 mins into his first trial game. Its all hypothetical what you are saying. If Gillett, Glenn and Sua had stayed fit, he would have had to be absolutely outstanding to get in front of any of those.

I'd love to know what you are actually basing your opinion on. Is it a newspaper article, some youtube clips or did you watch Warrington or St Helens a lot when he was playing for them? I'm going for the newspaper option.

I'm lovely and chilled. Aircon is great. I feel like you are stalking me now.

And he wasnt close. I dont really know how you can say he was close when he got injured 14 mins into his first trial game. Its all hypothetical what you are saying. If Gillett, Glenn and Sua had stayed fit, he would have had to be absolutely outstanding to get in front of any of those.

I'd love to know what you are actually basing your opinion on. Is it a newspaper article, some youtube clips or did you watch Warrington or St Helens a lot when he was playing for them? I'm going for the newspaper option.

Yeah I just saw a newspaper and thought he was sonny bill from that point on. We should sign him up long term before he plays inside centre for the all blacks.

Can you two drop it please @Wolfie and @upthebroncs, enough already.

I've been trying to ignore the guy but he keeps replying to my posts that have nothing to do with him. It's so annoying

Just too young and inexperienced. The pathway to the halves for Broncos looks like there's only room for one half though.. If we truly see Milford as our long term 6.

It will be very interesting to see what happens if Siebold does come in for next season (or even the one after). He has already shown with the Farah and Cook thing, he isn't adverse to stamp his authority and go with the better option. I wonder if we may just see Milf or KNik in the 1. I'm STILL not sold on Isaako at fullback. He is a great runner but that is it.

I mean look at Tedesco, he only just started added ball-playing this year under a new (and very good) coach. Makes you wonder what he could have become if this had have been added to his repertoire earlier.

Age is but a number our greatest ever half debut at 18.

Age is but a number our greatest ever half debut at 18.

I think you will find our greatest ever didn't just play half a game or debut at 18.

b881381078z1_20180517173922_000gns13k2ug2-0-x69robt4v14rxt19aq2_t460.jpg

It will be very interesting to see what happens if Siebold does come in for next season (or even the one after). He has already shown with the Farah and Cook thing, he isn't adverse to stamp his authority and go with the better option. I wonder if we may just see Milf or KNik in the 1. I'm STILL not sold on Isaako at fullback. He is a great runner but that is it.

I mean look at Tedesco, he only just started added ball-playing this year under a new (and very good) coach. Makes you wonder what he could have become if this had have been added to his repertoire earlier.

In terms of fullbacks, Fanitesi Niu is the one that excites me the most. Would love to see him get blooded on the wing in the next couple of years.

Edit: Ignore Staff Warning

Last edited by a moderator:
Do see why i cant actually come out and make a fairly valid point about this being a forum for debate really. Which it is. Nobody is going to agree all the time.

Yeah I just saw a newspaper and thought he was sonny bill from that point on. We should sign him up long term before he plays inside centre for the all blacks.

Dunno why you cant just answer a genuine question about where you are drawing your opinion about him from.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • marw
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Griffo
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • Adammacca
  • bb_gun
  • Manofoneway
  • davidp
  • Gaz
  • Battler
  • BruiserMk1
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Purple Pills
  • Broncs1459
  • Dexter
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.