2019 Broncos Line-up

I certainly was down on Milford and Kniks tackling and of the two, Milford made the greatest improvement especially during the second half of the year. It's true halves will always be targeted and if ours don't measure up or attain the average performance levels of nrl halves then we need to make changes. For mine, Knik is under pressure to keep his starting spot but I believe Milford is a certainty and will be on the way to captaincy.

I’d say fai will be the one who leaves. Been hearing his name for a while now and he’s yet to crack it into the main squad.
So why does that mean he'll leave. Not every player who has a spot on a roster plays NRL.

Don't be afraid. What we had didn't work. They played pretty much the entire season together and the back end of 2017. Yes the attack can be really good at times, but that isn't often against top tier teams with good defence and kicking games. It's no coincidence we did so poorly against teams with strong kickers.

Nikorima simply can't make a one on one tackle. Something I think Milford doesn't get much credit for, he really improved his tackle ability this year. He made a lot of one on ones, or at least hit and sticked very well giving Alex Glenn etc time to finish the job. Nikorima often was out of position and hardly laid a hand on them and this isn't okay.

Moving forward I really think Nikorima will be pushed out at end of his contract, or at least be relegated to a bench spot.
Hey BHQ, can I ask a super simple question...

The Milford thread is full of comments saying "nothing wrong with our attack, it's our defence that is letting us down"

Then threads like this one saying "Nikorima just can't cut it as a halfback, we need a genuine halfback who knows how to score points and be consistent" etc

AND threads calling for Macca to be moved on to make way for a better ATTACKING 9 when he is a DEFENSIVE rock in the middle field.

So which the **** is it haha

I mean seriously.

Is our problem our D or is it that we need a better Attacking spine.

Discuss

They just need to be able to hold their own until help arrives or in our case if it arrives.. arm grabbing Milford really gives himself no chance at all
"arm grabbing" could usually and often be attributed to shoulder injuries

The Milford thread is full of comments saying "nothing wrong with our attack, it's our defence that is letting us down"

Then threads like this one saying "Nikorima just can't cut it as a halfback, we need a genuine halfback who knows how to score points and be consistent" etc

AND threads calling for Macca to be moved on to make way for a better ATTACKING 9 when he is a DEFENSIVE rock in the middle field.

I mean seriously.

Discuss
Depends on the weeks agenda

I mean seriously.

Discuss
I have no problem with Nikorima or Macca. I think it’s up to the individual players to work on their weaknesses and it’s up to the coaches to devise game plans that take advantage of their strengths.
Player recruitment always needs to be looked at in the context of the salary cap. Overall I think our squad is the best it’s been in years. We have some good experienced players and outstanding young talent. There’s no point changing players unless you can get someone better on similar money or you just end up pushing someone else out and sacrificing depth. There’s also some cultural value that comes from showing loyalty.
I will be amazed if we aren’t in the top 4 next year and from there a premiership is really possible.

I mean seriously.

Discuss

I'll think you'll find that the people who are saying the defence is the issue are not the same people that are saying the attack is the issue.

Not a thing about Su'A's injury on the Broncos website. So who is in charge in letting the fans know what is going on? Nothing on the return of Sevielo (sic). Sometime I think the supporters of the Broncs are taken too much for granted.

I thought AS would have rectified this by now (LOL)

Last edited:

I mean seriously.

Discuss

Maybe BHQ is more than 1 person making all these posts.

Not a thing about Su'A's injury on the Broncos website. So who is in charge in letting the fans know what is going on? Nothing on the return of Sevielo (sic). Sometime I think the supporters of the Broncs are taken too much for granted.

I thought AS would have rectified this by now (LOL)

Nah, he is too busy trying to convince Gillett, Milford and Macca to honour their deals so he can claim another win against Bennett.

We can score points sure but a lot can come from just individual brilliance and luck rather than great structured plays from us.

Nikorima has a nifty little show and go and short ball but that’s about all. Niko has no real long kicking game and can’t throw a cut out pass. Niko stays on the right side and doesn’t get in around the ruck to get everything ready for future plays in motion like someone like Cooper Cronk would. Cronk had a big part in the Gf win because of his organised game and that’s what we need from our halfback.
Macca is a great first contact defender but doesn’t control the player he tackles well and doesn’t get much help which causes faster play the balls. Maccas service from dummy is fairly shit compared to other hookers in the game.
There’s my 2 cents worth!

So why does that mean he'll leave. Not every player who has a spot on a roster plays NRL.

Well he is way down the pecking order with all the forwards coming through. If he wants to stay and force his way into the side then good on him. History shows players will look else where for a fresh start but It’s only my opinion.

Well he is way down the pecking order with all the forwards coming through. If he wants to stay and force his way into the side then good on him. History shows players will look else where for a fresh start but It’s only my opinion.
Not sure if this was him at training this morning but sure is a big fella.
Upload 2018 12 18 13 21 36

Defense is attitude and experience. We lacked both, which was in part due to youth, but was still something surprising in a Bennett team.
Gillo's return (hopefully fully recovered and without mental demons affecting him) should make a difference, as will another season under the belt of our very young pack.

We also had a captain that lacked the attitude and didn't lead by example, whatever the reasons for that may be.
I don't think Boyd is as great a fullback as many people do, but I've never criticised his defense (organisation and individual) and attitude until last season. I really hope he comes good in that aspect this season.

In attack, despite our high number of points, I don't think we were anywhere as good as we can be. We have a wealth of individual talent, which masked our attacking ineptitude as a collective, especially against teams who were able to contain Robert, Milford, Oates and Knik. We had no tactical answer against those teams and kept trying and hoping for an individual moment of brilliance...

If anything, I really hope Seibold will bring a world of difference in our tactical weaponry arsenal.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.