2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
NSWRL might pick him just to yet insight on Walsh and Patty

Will they be our only certainties for Qld next year??

Mam will likely be in the squad but isnt getting in over Munster at this stage
They already have Payne for that tho

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
NSWRL might pick him just to yet insight on Walsh and Patty

Will they be our only certainties for Qld next year??

Unless, and this is EXTREMELY unlikely, they shift Munster to centre to accommodate Mam. I suspect Mam will kick on and bang the door down next year for origin.

As for origin certainties for Qld, Cobbo also will be a cert.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
If Coates is your best player and you make a prelim, that shows how bad the state of the comp is.
I didn't think Selwyn had a great year - and only 10th best on the BHQ leaderboard - but he's pipped Coates on every stat:

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
It was certainly the worst kept secret:

"Because of Queensland laws prohibiting the identification of people charged with sexual assault or rape offences at this stage of court proceedings, NCA NewsWire is not able to name the man."​

Laws changed this week .
Other states if you are charged you could be named . Now Qld too .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Yet played more games than cleary this year

I was replying to the he didn`t get injured post .
Not comparing random stats . He played more games than the Daly M winner too as if that is a factor .

Law of averages is against Captain Coach Reynolds .
Older you get the more injuries and the longer time out .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

I thought Munster was lucky to make the squad .
He has been pretty ordinary since mid year . He will need to step up for the Kangaroos or ...

K

KevieBurnerAccount

Oct 3, 2023
Hey folks, first time poster, long time broncs fan since 88 as a young fella. Certainly ridden the emotional rollercoaster this week that I'm sure everyone else here has. Lots of what ifs from Sunday that will haunt the fellas. I was only listening to Spud Carroll yesterday and the pain from 97 is real. Hope our fellas can turn negatives into positives as we still have the squad to be there next year. Lots of green shoots for Kevie to work with. This hurt can only drive the fellas harder.

Speaking of next year, I can't believe the chat from externals talking about getting rid of Reno at the end of the next year. Personally I would hold him until 2025. What people forget is a Reno operating at 50% is still better then most other NRL halfbacks. There are values that Reno brings that can't be bought.

Who knows what post Reno will look like. I highly doubt we would be able to afford a high end half like Walker or Deardon. There's a few decent mid range halfs coming off contract at the end of 25. Wouldn't mind seeing SOS back in the mix. I think he would be a good fit. Schneider will be off contract after 2 years at the panthers. He is a QLDer and worth following. Jonah Pezet is another one to watch. Stuck behind Munster and Hughes, he is going to want out by the end of 2025.

My main hope is that Mozer kicks on this year so we can lock in Haas, Carrigan, Walsh, Mam, Mozer long term. Time spent together is invaluable, premierships will come with that core.

Sorry for the long one! Will be sure to frequent this place often.

F

Footy Fanatic

NRL Player
Dec 12, 2018
I've come to the realisation that it wouldn't have been right if we won the premiership with Corey Oates not in the starting 17.

So now that he has re-signed for next season, I am hoping he can force his way back into the 17 and we win the premiership in 2024.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
I've come to the realisation that it wouldn't have been right if we won the premiership with Corey Oates not in the starting 17.

So now that he has re-signed for next season, I am hoping he can force his way back into the 17 and we win the premiership in 2024.

Disagree there, team comes first.
You pick the best 17 for the game.

Oates is Bronco for life, winning the GF would have still been a huge moment for him as a Bronco. So it definitely would still have been right. Perhaps a bit of a shame but that is why you have to NAIL these GFs. 2015 and 2023 were missed opps.

What happened after 2015 we all know... what happens after 2023 is crucial. We can't let history repeat.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Just saw a training video for ufc champ volkanovski. Him and his coach talked about the benefits of training certain positions while volk is under extreme fatigue. Leads me to wonder how much decision making training do rugby league teams do while under fatigue? As an example, are we practicing defensive drills while fatigued or first thing in the morning while we’re fresh?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Just saw a training video for ufc champ volkanovski. Him and his coach talked about the benefits of training certain positions while volk is under extreme fatigue. Leads me to wonder how much decision making training do rugby league teams do while under fatigue? As an example, are we practicing defensive drills while fatigued or first thing in the morning while we’re fresh?
We do heaps of skills under fatigued as far as I know

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021

I know this is a big thing with the army camps, we did one last year not sure about this year

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Payne:

"I hope Ezra stays loyal. It would be great to keep a player like him. He has been at the club since a young age, around 15, so I really hope we can keep him. His defence was great for us this season. Ezra is tenacious, he goes hard and he is aggressive. You don’t often see that from halves, so he is a different type of half and I feel like he can be one of the best halves in the comp.”​

Kevvie:

“I feel we are in a really strong position to be a dominant club for the next four to five years. I was really proud of the team’s work this year to get to the grand final. I know we lost in the grand final but we won over the season, so that’s how I’m looking at it."​
“The first 15 minutes after halftime, the coaching box was cooking, we were so thrilled with what the boys could put together in the first 60 minutes. If we can play at that level for 80 minutes, I’m very confident in the next five years that these boys will get a lot of good things happening and Brisbane will get a lot of good things happening as well. The commitment of our group is outstanding. I’m excited about what is going to be happening at our club over the next four or five years.”​

Ezra:

“It still hurts. It (his hat-trick) all happened very fast, it was in the space of 11 minutes, so it was pretty crazy. It caught me by surprise, I was pretty proud of the way I played but it would have been nice to finish off with a premiership. We can take heaps of positives out of it. We didn’t get the result we wanted, but we took a lot of lessons out of last year and came back and made the grand final. Obviously we didn’t win it, but we can learn from losing a grand final and go back and win it next year.”​

Active Now

• Notorious
  • pennywisealfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KickHaas
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • The Boss
  • Jedhead
  • winslow_wong
  • Lostboy
  • Tim K
  • FACTHUNT
  • Skathen
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
  • Redux
  • Harry Sack
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.