2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

If this is a continuation of my ongoing question as to who on the bench can fill in for an outside back, it's arse around. Kotoni is a starting centre who could fill in for a forward. Cobbo and Oates could cover a forward spot as well. I'm looking for a bench or starting forward who can win us a game playing on the wing or in the centres. It's going to happen, and it could happen in the first few minutes. See Origin 3, 2022.

How about last years origin ?
Turbo goes down and Freddy brings on Cookie . Should we be scouring the Surf Life Saving Carnivals for a beach sprinter ??

How about last years origin ?
Turbo goes down and Freddy brings on Cookie . Should we be scouring the Surf Life Saving Carnivals for a beach sprinter ??
I'm going to divert from received wisdom, go with the most aggressive option, and carry Mariner on the bench, instead of one of the forwards. Default is he plays 15 minutes on the wing and Oates goes into the forwards. Or to a centre and ditto Cobbo/Staggs. Same scenario if any of the backs go down. Staggs/Walsh can cover 6. Billy can cover 7.

I'm going to divert from received wisdom, go with the most aggressive option, and carry Mariner on the bench, instead of one of the forwards. Default is he plays 15 minutes on the wing and Oates goes into the forwards. Or to a centre and ditto Cobbo/Staggs. Same scenario if any of the backs go down. Staggs/Walsh can cover 6. Billy can cover 7.

I like it but I guess the question then is, does Deine benefit more from 15 minutes in first grade or 80 minutes in Q Cup?

I like it but I guess the question then is, does Deine benefit more from 15 minutes in first grade or 80 minutes in Q Cup?
It's not ideal defensively, but it would inject spark. Don't ask me which forward misses out. The same formula works with Mariner starting and Oates/Arthars on the bench.

Ultimately, this is make or break for Oates. He's bound to lose his position to Mariner if he doesn't stamp his authority as a player who can't be dropped.

NRL.com predicted Storm lineup for round one includes an outside back on the bench:

It's not ideal defensively, but it would inject spark. Don't ask me which forward misses out. The same formula works with Mariner starting and Oates/Arthars on the bench.

Ultimately, this is make or break for Oates. He's bound to lose his position to Mariner if he doesn't stamp his authority as a player who can't be dropped.

I’m a huge fan of Mariner and if it were me, I’d be seriously considering running with Oates on the bench. If allows us to give Deine a clear opportunity and Oatesy can cover both forwards and backs and can always come back in if Mariner struggles

I’m a huge fan of Mariner and if it were me, I’d be seriously considering running with Oates on the bench. If allows us to give Deine a clear opportunity and Oatesy can cover both forwards and backs and can always come back in if Mariner struggles
The trouble with that is you're picking Oates - arguably our best winger - primarily as a forward. Which is ironic considering that was his idea in the first place.

Though realistically, Walsh is the one most likely to need resting, so maybe Cobbo goes to the back, Oates to the wing and Mariner to centre. Still, you have to decide who has more impact: Oates or someone like Willison or Te Kura.

It really is a conundrum, but the whole discussion goes away if one of our forwards can play convincingly in the backs. I don't have a sense of how fast Piakura is, for example.

The trouble with that is you're picking Oates - arguably our best winger - primarily as a forward. Which is ironic considering that was his idea in the first place.

Though realistically, Walsh is the one most likely to need resting, so maybe Cobbo goes to the back, Oates to the wing and Mariner to centre. Still, you have to decide who has more impact: Oates or someone like Willison or Te Kura.

It really is a conundrum, but the whole discussion goes away if one of our forwards can play convincingly in the backs. I don't have a sense of how fast Piakura is, for example.
I reckon riki could cover centre well if needed. He has size and pace and has very good lateral movement in defence which is needed on the edges.

I reckon riki could cover centre well if needed. He has size and pace and has very good lateral movement in defence which is needed on the edges.
I'm not sure. I think I'd be more confident of Oates in second row than Riki on the wing or centre.

In case you missed it: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves suspension upheld, ruled out of the Vegas match against us.

Good news for our boys. No elbows to their faces while they're on the ground.

That guy is peak grubiness, and if it wasn't for professional sport and the money he'd probably be some wife smacking deadbeat.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • BruiserMk1
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • eggstar10
  • johnny plath
  • heartly87
  • simplythebest
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Tim K
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.