2024 State of Origin - Game I Discussion

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
Poor Ben Ikin left his lanyard allowing him into the dressing rooms at home. When he tried to gain entry, to celebrate with the team, he was denied. Someone who was with Ben at the time said to the security guard come on mate it's Ben Ikin ..the head of the QRL. Security guard said .. and I am security .. he isn't getting in. 😆

Just another nsw flog by the sounds of it lol.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
How is this debatable?!

The idiot stuffed up and cost them the game.

Liam Martin is a lunatic but can put on mostly legal shots without taking someone’s head off

He's not that great of a defender though. Missed 7 or 8 tackles iirc.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Seems like everybody missed a tonne last night. Carrigan and Nanai missed a heap too. Stats men might have had happy trigger fingers. They were talking about Luai missing 10 and nicho only 4 too. Missed tackles don't tell the whole story. Different types of missed tackles. Luai was much better defensively than Hynes I thought. Can't miss tackles if you don't touch them. Genius moves.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Seems like everybody missed a tonne last night. Carrigan and Nanai missed a heap too. Stats men might have had happy trigger fingers. They were talking about Luai missing 10 and nicho only 4 too. Missed tackles don't tell the whole story. Different types of missed tackles. Luai was much better defensively than Hynes I thought. Can't miss tackles if you don't touch them. Genius moves.

Nanai and Dearden were our worst for missed tackles with 8 and 6 respectively. Holmes i thought was our worst watching the game but he was actually pretty solid generally with his defence.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Poor Ben Ikin left his lanyard allowing him into the dressing rooms at home. When he tried to gain entry, to celebrate with the team, he was denied. Someone who was with Ben at the time said to the security guard come on mate it's Ben Ikin ..the head of the QRL. Security guard said .. and I am security .. he isn't getting in. 😆

Just another nsw flog by the sounds of it lol.

I don't mean to take the fun away from this post ... and I certainly hate defending NSW ***** (especially right now) ...

But I spent over 20 years in security, before my career change (including working heaps of sporting events), and I would have done the same thing that security guy did (even if Ikin tried to gain access to the dressing rooms at Lang Park, without his access creds) ... as poorly paid as security is these days, it's still better money than what Job Seeker pays.

I do quite like his response 😎

MrTickyMcG

MrTickyMcG

QCup Player
Jun 3, 2021
I still think the dumbest idea i've seen for a while is this nonsense where if you get a player sent off, you can replace him with your 18th man but the sent off player cant play a part in the game. How stupid is that. Thats rewarding ill discipline, and you could easily but some barely NRL standard player in the team to take out a star player on another team. Crazy stuff.
Yeah the offending team definitely should get an advantage, in fact, they should be awarded 6 points too and the person who is sent off should get to pick someone from the crowd to go home with.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I dont think you get to go back to playing with 13 players if a player gets sent off. I think if you even make it 20 in the bin teams would still back themselves to stay in the game and take out key players.
I still think the dumbest idea i've seen for a while is this nonsense where if you get a player sent off, you can replace him with your 18th man but the sent off player cant play a part in the game. How stupid is that. Thats rewarding ill discipline, and you could easily but some barely NRL standard player in the team to take out a star player on another team. Crazy stuff.
If teams have a player sent off at the 30 min mark and then after 20 mins you can activate your 18th man, they've got a a fresh man coming on late in a game.. in a origin especially but any game that's a massive advantage for a team that could have taken out a star player like Walsh last night.
It's a ridiculous idea.

It's not impossible to win a game 12 v 13. You just need to play smarter, have a good game managing half, a utility on the bench and a smart coach. Which NSW didn't have any of that last night.
If it was reversed last night and Holmes was sent 7 mins in I would of been confident QLD would of been able to still win the game.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I find it funny 24 hours after the fact the older NRL fans are still buying into the "but it's Origin" argument.

We are in 2024 now, it's not acceptable to knock someone out like that, the world has evolved. It's not the 80's where NRL players would play through a game with a broken jaw and it were some sort of badge of honor for doing so.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Yeah, tell that to CH9 morons in Joey & co. Every time they tried to talk up how good Martin & Chriton are in defense & their aggressive tackling, our guys played smart footy and made them look like show ponies.

I don’t watch our(Broncos) games on CH9 but boy, I couldn’t stand their commentary at all. It’s horrendous to say the least.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I really dont think we need a solution because it’s already in place. They are all just sooking because the idiot cost NSW the game by being reckless.
Exactly this. Does my head in listening to everyone going on about all the changes that need to be made so the spectacle isn’t ruined when they actual answer is just don’t smack blokes in the head. What’s so special about Suaali that he needs to be treated like a sped? Be accountable for your actions.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Willie Mason was off his rocker on his podcast about this. Just some things:

He claimed a send off would have been warranted in the 73rd minute but not the 7th minute.

He also implied that if the situation had been reversed and Val Holmes had taken Teddy out illegally then a send off would have been ok because we had Cobbo on the bench.

Then the usual shit that Anasta and everyone else south of the border are crapping on about:

How unfair it is that Klein cost NSW the game and possibly the series.

How unfair it was to the fans who paid their money only for the game to be over 7 minutes in

How we need to protect the game and the product. Anasta even went as far as to say that if we keep on the same track we'll kill our product.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
This bullshit that NSW carry on with really does my head in. Listening to the same people that any other day go on about the importance of protecting the head and the game protect themselves from legal ramifications down the track all of a sudden start acting like the brain isn’t as impacted if it happens at origin.

Also why is it whenever NSW lose every QLD media person needs to act as some kind of counselling service for the NSW pricks. Like they need to curtail to them and do this fake humility bullshit. Get fucked. When NSW win a game it’s the first win in a dynasty, when we win its all “oh gee shucks guys I guess we got lucky there”.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Do NSW come out in game two with the same plan to contain Walsh?

In a sudden death scenario? Absolutely not with the same level of aggression, if say. They could gamble that officials won't pull the trigger in that game given the 'occasion', but you never know when the NRL are going to be consistent, they are wily like that.

I find it funny 24 hours after the fact the older NRL fans are still buying into the "but it's Origin" argument.

We are in 2024 now, it's not acceptable to knock someone out like that, the world has evolved. It's not the 80's where NRL players would play through a game with a broken jaw and it were some sort of badge of honor for doing so.

This. You want to play the game like it's the eighties, I guarantee it's not going to last.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Im not arguing. Just saying its odd i didnt see it all day is all.

I dont think Sua'li'i is a bad dude to be honest, just think he got the tackle wrong in a big way and partly blame his coach for drumming it into his side to demolish Walsh.

His first post is the only thing i was referring to in my original comment, because at the time it was the only statement he had made about the game.

Not everyones google search will come up with the same results .....
You are being profiled with every search . Sooner or later the search results become tailored to custom fit you .

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.