Anthony Milford @ 6

• Thread starter Marty Deutschmann
  • Start date
Re: Broncos sign Darius Boyd

Milford might be a very good six one day. But IMO he is a better fullback now than he is a five eight, and no matter how good a five eight he becomes, he would have been able to become an equally good if not better fullback.
exactly. The thing is that we dont need to have "short term pain for long term gain". Milford, like Lockyer, can carve up from the back while still acting as a half in attack, while not taking the physical punishment that comes from playing in the front line. Then in a few years he can move in to the halves if he wants to. theres no plus side to rushing one of the best fullbacks in the game into the halves.

Bit of a johnny come lately, but if Milford was to play fullback, who's going to partner Hunt in the halves?

Milford might be a very good six one day. But IMO he is a better fullback now than he is a five eight, and no matter how good a five eight he becomes, he would have been able to become an equally good if not better fullback.

This is exactly how i feel, but clearly cant put it as well as you lol. He could become a great 6, but i really believe he will always be better fullback

Bit of a johnny come lately, but if Milford was to play fullback, who's going to partner Hunt in the halves?
See my post above - after 2015 it could've been Cherry-Evans.

So...

This thread is now about where Milford plays his best footy?

You already know my answer is Taylor.
Yes he might struggle for a while, but that's okay if it's Milford, so I don't see why it's not for Taylor?

Maybe he fails and then we can go chase on the market, but it's really not that different to going to market for Boyd.

See my post above - after 2015 it could've been Cherry-Evans.

So who plays five eighth in 2015? Or are we just calling the year a wash chasing after DCE who more than likely, will stay in Sydney?

Ari Gold said:
Yes he might struggle for a while, but that's okay if it's Milford, so I don't see why it's not for Taylor?

The problem with Taylor in comparison to Milford is that he isn't a proven first grader and his track record with injuries is quite poor. To rely on him as the first choice would be a very risky proposition.

Definitely Milford at five-eight for me, him an Hunt in the halves will be a magical combination for years to come.

So who plays five eighth in 2015? Or are we just calling the year a wash chasing after DCE who more than likely, will stay in Sydney?
Barba. He was more than competent at it, can only get better after an offseason to get his ankle right and lose some weight.

Why will DCE more than likely stay in Sydney? I think being coached by Bennett at the Broncos with Hunt and Milford would be a huge opportunity for him, as well as us being able to match it with any other club in terms of dollars.

Barba. He was more than competent at it, can only get better after an offseason to get his ankle right and lose some weight.

Why will DCE more than likely stay in Sydney? I think being coached by Bennett at the Broncos with Hunt and Milford would be a huge opportunity for him, as well as us being able to match it with any other club in terms of dollars.

His mrs doesn't want to leave.

Plus, he wants to stay at Manly for life, and considering the players they are getting rid of, they will be able to give him the contract he wants.

DCE to the Broncos is not happening. Not in the near future, anyway.

Last edited:
I just don't see it in Barba. I'll give him this, he played better than I expected but as far as playmaking is concerned he was very limited.

But then, one good game against a severely depleted Knights & a decent half against Melbourne was never going to fill me with enough confidence.

It would be a fantastic opportunity for DCE but from all reports, he's more concerned about placating his wife and their young family. She's a Sydney girl, has no intentions of leaving and since he'll be getting paid fantastic money to stay in Manly, I don't think the pros outweigh the cons unfortunately.

I take your point though. If it wasn't DCE, there's another potentially brilliant player the Broncos could have signed, instead they stuck with Boyd who at the end of the day, isn't overly necessary to the cause.

He was competent, adequate. He wasn't a 7/10 or better every match so let's not go overboard here. Keeping in mind it was comparative to Hoffman so that probably bumps him up a bit more.

There is no guarantee he'll get over his ankle problem. you don't have a chronic injury for 18 months and then all of a sudden it disappears, think about it.

It happened when we signed Bennett. Why people still can't understand that Boyd just follows him everywhere without fail I'm not sure.

Boyd himself has basically even been quoted confirming it:

After eight years, Darius Boyd reunites with his mother Rochelle

I just thought of something else that makes this signing even more stupid - Daly Cherry Evans.

He's off contract at the end of this next season. With the huge dollars we're throwing at Boyd, we could've spent not much more and had a good stab at Cherry Evans, who has been linked to us previously. Imagine this for one second:

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Cherry Evans

That is the building blocks of a multiple premiership winning team, 10x more dangerous than Boyd/Milford/Hunt. With Bennett at the helm Boyd will never be dropped, so we would either have to lose Milford or Hunt to get Cherry Evans. More than likely we just won't even have a crack at him because of this, which would be idiotic.

I can't believe that people are now arguing that 5/8th is Milfords best position lol. Did you guys watch him play at fullback and at 5/8th? At fullback he killed it for 2 years. Absolutely tore teams up. He played very much like Lockyer did, chiming in as a playmaker when he wanted to. From 5/8th he was nowhere near as effective as he had far less time and space, and was the focal point in attack. Defenders knew he was getting it, and knew where he was at all times.

I swear, the second Bennett says something a big bunch of BHQ posters just blindly believe it. It's laughable and sad.

You need to actually read people's posts not just look for every chance to have a rant

Had you read what I wrote you would have noticed 2 things

1 - I fully expect Darius to sign with the Broncos

2 - My question was has it actually happened yet

It seems the answer to my question is "no"

The problem with Taylor in comparison to Milford is that he isn't a proven first grader and his track record with injuries is quite poor. To rely on him as the first choice would be a very risky proposition.
I agree with giving Taylor a go in the halves with Hunt next to him, and Milford at fullback. We would still have Barba as a backup, or even Kahu to fill in if necessary, not to speak of young J. Nikorima.

Should none of it work as well as expected, we could use Boyd's money to lure a big player like DCE (yes I know, his missus... what's the difference with Boyd's missus?), or even get Boyd at that point, without the pressure of meeting his current Knights contract obligations.

There is a very big chance it would be even less necessary by that time though, and Wayne is smart enough to know this was his only chance to "justify" bringing Boyd back to the club.

Like I said - it happened as soon as we signed Bennett.

Everyone seems to forget that Milford wants to play five eight. What happens to players who are put into positions they don't want to play in? They leave

You can't just pick and choose when you believe something.

You have spent years on this forum telling all and sundry that WB is a useless hack that no longer has the pulling power with players, yet when you want to live out your fantasy that DCE would leave Sydney (and that's what it is, a fantasy) the opportunity to play under WB is suddenly a huge attraction

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • Cavalo
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.