Anthony Milford Discussion

Well hes a ball runner not a ball player. So those moves are his primary threats as a playmaker.

If you think he could be utilised better outside of 5/8th a lot of people would agree with you... but that's a different discussion.

Well hes a ball runner not a ball player. So those moves are his primary threats as a playmaker.

If you think he could be utilised better outside of 5/8th a lot of people would agree with you... but that's a different discussion.
I think he needs to be a running half but he doesn't get to use Benji as an excuse if he can't take control of the team himself.

I want plays made by a playmaker. He runs well sometimes but when does he actually playmake?

I want to win games......don't care how we do it.

Milford was solid tonight and was a part of the reason why we won. I think your comment about him after tonight's game is, was and will forever remain as..... being ridiculous.

If he was total shit....or completely MIA, I could semi-understand it. But he wasn't.

I think he needs to be a running half but he doesn't get to use Benji as an excuse if he can't take control of the team himself.

lol you had the same excuse when Hunt was stinking it up at 7.

So you're saying his 9 really good games earned him one million a season? So he's like Jarryd Hayne minus the dreams.
Haha nice try... I'm saying his 3 amazing seasons where he has been near player of the season at Canberra and Brisbane, being the form player in the comp for 10 rounds, being the best on ground in a gf, and being the best half constantly on the field in games outweighs his half a season that has been poor but he still hasn't been our worst half when our other normal half has just signed a 1.3 million dollar a year 6 season deal with another club.

lol you had the same excuse when Hunt was stinking it up at 7.
Did I? Can you show me where I said that Hunt was scared because his halves partner was more experienced?

Haha nice try... I'm saying his 3 amazing seasons where he has been near player of the season at Canberra and Brisbane, being the form player in the comp for 10 rounds, being the best on ground in a gf, and being the best half constantly on the field in games outweighs his half a season that has been poor but he still hasn't been our worst half when our other normal half has just signed a 1.3 million dollar a year 6 season deal with another club.

I think you're exaggerating how often he's been good. Hunt has had just as many good games over the last 3 years as well. He also still puts in when he's injured. But I didn't bring Hunt into this, you did.

My opinion is that our million dollar half needs to do more than just run. Has a halfback ever been told to hand over control to their five-eight before or have the dominant halves just been dominant?

Did I? Can you show me where I said that Hunt was scared because his halves partner was more experienced?

I think you're exaggerating how often he's been good. Hunt has had just as many good games over the last 3 years as well. He also still puts in when he's injured. But I didn't bring Hunt into this, you did.

My opinion is that our million dollar half needs to do more than just run. Has a halfback ever been told to hand over control to their five-eight before or have the dominant halves just been dominant?

Okay, confirmed troll/Hunt apologist.

You're the one that has jumped on this idea that has been floated here lately about Milf 'going into his shell' when Benji is playing and that is simply not true. The whole idea of Benji playing at seven is to help Milf with the play making..you know, because Milf hasn't had a lot of quality help for the last year and a half. But Benji hasn't really helped in this regard, and as it turns out, Milf plays much better (you know, controlling games) with Niko there. No excuses, just facts. He plays better when he has good support, his running produces better outcomes, his kicking game improves, his passing game improves - so just accept that not having quality support in the halves produces less quality outcomes for Milf, because A. He's young, still learning, has had to assume the reigns of the team because Hunt couldn't/wouldn't, and B. His main attribute is his running game and his combination play, which is self-evidently better with Niko at 7, not Benji and not Hunt anymore, unfortunately.

You just bag him every chance you get, though. Even when he plays well, which most people here seem to agree he did last night. Yes he could be better...and? He'll be better with Niko there.

Milf is worth the million, based on what he's already done in the Broncos jersey. Stop harping on about it.

Lockyer and Johns weren't being paid on potential.
Ah yes, there is that word again. Just the mention of it seems to affect you greatly.

Young players, especially halves, take time to mature into consistent players who deliver to a minimum standard most weeks. Lockyer and Thurston are very good examples of this, but most people knew early that they had the potential to become as good as they did, and despite the rate of success, that potential will always attract the big dollars!

With players capable of supporting him properly, Milf's running and passing game can and will take us to new levels. Expecting him to do it all alone because "1 million", is just plain stupidity, as is this idea that he goes into his shell when Benji (or Hunt) is there.
Milford is not being paid 1 million to be a playmaker, he is being paid a million because he is a game breaker, and will only get better with time. Live with it.

P.S. This is another reason I want Boyd at centre, because I want someone at fullback capable of taking full advantage of Milf's second phase generated play.

As a ball runner, Milford can be one of the best in the comp. As a proper half, I think he's fallen behind some of the other QLD halves. Someone like Morgan, who we all used to call a glorified centre, has shown some massive improvement without Thurston, and has been showing leadership and organisation we've never seen from Milford. Even Kodi has looked smoother at times with his passing/pass selections. A lot of times when Milford gets the ball, he seems to run around like a headless chook hoping his footwork creates something out of nothing. I hope he can develop a real playmaker's game, then we could be real threat to anyone. It just needs to be in the next year or two IMO, or I'll have doubts he'll ever be able to develop that.

Milford needs to work on some simple plays with the guys on his outside. Simple stuff life take ball to line and pass short to Glenn for a few tackles early in game. Then do the same but go a bit wider to moga. Once opposition tires then do his show and go.

Okay, confirmed troll/Hunt apologist.

You're the one that has jumped on this idea that has been floated here lately about Milf 'going into his shell' when Benji is playing and that is simply not true. The whole idea of Benji playing at seven is to help Milf with the play making..you know, because Milf hasn't had a lot of quality help for the last year and a half. But Benji hasn't really helped in this regard, and as it turns out, Milf plays much better (you know, controlling games) with Niko there. No excuses, just facts. He plays better when he has good support, his running produces better outcomes, his kicking game improves, his passing game improves - so just accept that not having quality support in the halves produces less quality outcomes for Milf, because A. He's young, still learning, has had to assume the reigns of the team because Hunt couldn't/wouldn't, and B. His main attribute is his running game and his combination play, which is self-evidently better with Niko at 7, not Benji and not Hunt anymore, unfortunately.

You just bag him every chance you get, though. Even when he plays well, which most people here seem to agree he did last night. Yes he could be better...and? He'll be better with Niko there.

Milf is worth the million, based on what he's already done in the Broncos jersey. Stop harping on about it.
Perfectly said.... any further questions cult3, just re-read this

But...but...but, he isn't producing man of the match performances, week after week, game after game.

We aren't getting value for money! Our 23yr old half has to be better than that!!

Some peoples expectations are totally unrealistic.

I don't know how anyone can watch last night's game and be satisfied with Milford's effort.

If the Broncos go onto lose that game, we're all singing a very different tune and the fine tooth comb starts coming out. The Reagan Campbell-Gillard break happened because Milford failed to bring Whare down when he had the chance. The other plays that stick out to me was when he was monstered by Campbell-Gillard and lost the footy, and that forward pass to Kahu. Fortunately Whare returned the favour not long after and the Broncos scored, but the forward pass was a turning point in that second half. Instead of building a lead, the Broncos kept it a one possession game.

Between that and the stupid penalty from Ben Hunt, the Broncos really made the game much harder than it needed to be.

I don't know how anyone can watch last night's game and be satisfied with Milford's effort.

If the Broncos go onto lose that game, we're all singing a very different tune and the fine tooth comb starts coming out. The Reagan Campbell-Gillard break happened because Milford failed to bring Whare down when he had the chance. The other plays that stick out to me was when he was monstered by Campbell-Gillard and lost the footy, and that forward pass to Kahu. Fortunately Whare returned the favour not long after and the Broncos scored, but the forward pass was a turning point in that second half. Instead of building a lead, the Broncos kept it a one possession game.

Between that and the stupid penalty from Ben Hunt, the Broncos really made the game much harder than it needed to be.
Fine tooth comb indeed... both the Whare and RCG's efforts deserve more credit for the Panthers players than criticism of Anthony. The RCG break had one person responsible, and that was Thaiday with his piss poor arm grab tackle attempt.

Admittedly, the pass to Kahu wasn't good, but probably wasn't as influential as the Hunt penalty, which ruined the Broncos best defensive set in the Panthers half. Didn't stop Hunt from being easily the best player on the ground, like it didn't stop Milf from being more influential positively than negatively, both in attack and in defense.

Unfortunately those weren't the only other issues with his performance last night. Even his play during the Corey Oates incident wasn't as good as it could have been and contributed to the injury.

I'll concede the Whare criticism is tough, but the error was just poor work from Milford. He was begging to be hit holding the ball out like that with his back turned towards the defensive line.

Perfectly said. Any further questions @Lockysillegitimatechild just re-read this..

Active Now

• Battler
  • Broncorob
  • kman
  • Canga
  • Allo
  • Rambstien
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.