VOTE Anthony Seibold Discussion

Should Seibold be sacked immediately?

• Total voters
J

JungleBoogie

NYC Player
Jun 27, 2020
The roster is not good especially when missing our two best in Fifita and Staggs, however this team is losing the metres battle. We clearly have defensive issues in that we are not moving up with speed and in attack not catching it at the advantage line. We are always on our back at the play ball and not doing the same to the opposition. These are coaching issues which should be fixed immediately - if they aren't it's because the coach is not smart enough to see it or the players aren't doing it.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
The roster is not good especially when missing our two best in Fifita and Staggs, however this team is losing the metres battle. We clearly have defensive issues in that we are not moving up with speed and in attack not catching it at the advantage line. We are always on our back at the play ball and not doing the same to the opposition. These are coaching issues which should be fixed immediately - if they aren't it's because the coach is not smart enough to see it or the players aren't doing it.
All these things were leveled at WB for years.
The more I see us play the more I believe we just are not fit. Fatigue destroys you physically and mentally.
I think a lot of our blokes thought the season was over and got caught out when we came back so early.

E

ettybay

NYC Player
May 9, 2014
That's a lot of what if's.

What if the squad was going backwards. Oh yeah, that's not a what if.
I'm shit at what if's
Yes it is, but as I have pointed out it isn't , if I may use the word of the year, unprecedented.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Yes it is, but as I have pointed out it isn't , if I may use the word of the year, unprecedented.
Not quite. We have had a string of losses but I don't think our squad has gone backwards as a group like this.
What we were doing during the previous slump wasn't working but right now we don't know how to go about anything.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Thats not true, the current level of poor form and results i would say is unprecedented for the Broncos.

Its unprecedented that we lost a final 58-0 in our last game last year, in fact it was unprecedented that any team had lost a final to that magnitude.

Its unprecedented that a few games after that (albeit a new season) we lost 59-0

Its unprecedented that we had players in our team crying after a mid season loss

Its unprecedented that our coach admits to not knowing the answer to what the problem is. Even in Bennett's "slumps" he had answers in how to turn things around

Its unprecedented that we have had 3 of our biggest losses to individual teams in a space of 8 games of football

Its unprecedented that each week the coach does not know what the best team is to put on the field

Your previous post of multiple what if scenarios trying to justify where the club currently is and loosely trying to bring it back to the glory days of the initial Wayne Bennett coached club is wishful thinking and clumsy optimism at best.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
For Pies, and most of this team actually defence is that wooden structure at the end of the garden.

giphy.gif

E

ettybay

NYC Player
May 9, 2014
Thats not true, the current level of poor form and results i would say is unprecedented for the Broncos.

Its unprecedented that we lost a final 58-0 in our last game last year, in fact it was unprecedented that any team had lost a final to that magnitude.

Its unprecedented that a few games after that (albeit a new season) we lost 59-0

Its unprecedented that we had players in our team crying after a mid season loss

Its unprecedented that our coach admits to not knowing the answer to what the problem is. Even in Bennett's "slumps" he had answers in how to turn things around

Its unprecedented that we have had 3 of our biggest losses to individual teams in a space of 8 games of football

Its unprecedented that each week the coach does not know what the best team is to put on the field

Your previous post of multiple what if scenarios trying to justify where the club currently is and loosely trying to bring it back to the glory days of the initial Wayne Bennett coached club is wishful thinking and clumsy optimism at best.
Maybe you are right. How would you improve performances?

DigitalDaz

DigitalDaz

QCup Player
Mar 18, 2008
Sacking the coach will not fix the toxic culture at the club - it will make it worse.

The exact opposite needs to happen - the board and player management needs to be told to butt out and Seibold given a clean slate.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Sacking the coach will not fix the toxic culture at the club - it will make it worse.

The exact opposite needs to happen - the board and player management needs to be told to butt out and Seibold given a clean slate.
And more importantly, Seibs needs to "grow a pair" and start making underperformers more accountable.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Maybe you are right. How would you improve performances?
I’m obviously no first grade coach but the best way to eat an elephant is one small piece at a time. I think i mentioned it earlier but i would have a very simple list of kpi’s for each player that played to their strengths and/or improved their weaknesses. If someone was drifting out of games have kpi’s to keep them involved (x amount of dummy half runs etc) for example.
These would be drilled into them during training with Alfie and the other trainers keeping them up to date during the game.

Seibs needs to build back up the confidence of the players and take away uncertainty in their roles.

I don’t understand why he isn’t on that walkie talkie the whole time barking instructions to the team during the game, its like he is a total spectator once the ball has been kicked off. I’d even like him down on the sideline feeling what the players are feeling and actually coaching during the game, strip it down to basics, try a different approach. Use the interchange based on feeling for the game rather than a set strategy done pre game.
Get close enough to notice Haas starting to tire and give the poor bastard a rest, not just stick to a current schedule that is clearly not working.

Last edited:
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
What if Seibold is the man for the job? What if he has a long term plan for the club? What if the club's powerbrokers fully support this plan ( but have chosen not to share it with the media jackals ) realising short term pain is the price to pay for long term gain? What if this very inexperience squad sticks together & gains experience? What if the club has been in this very same position before, the coach stuck to his methods & didn't listen to people who didn't have a clue what really went on? What if that coach led this very club to 6 premierships even though the media & public had called for his public lynching? Basically Seibold may or may not be the right coach for the club, but I would trust the heirarcy's combined judgement over my own when it comes matters Bronco.

What if we had an actual defensive system remotely suitable for the NRL?

What if we had an attacking structure?

What if our players could reliably execute basic NRL skills such as catching a football thrown to them, or holding the football whilst running?

Any of these things would improve us right now.

Seemingly they are not important to our club, playing group or coaching staff...

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
The thing is, even with the thrashings, the looming wooden spoon, the player in-fighting, the board says there is a bigger plan. What plan expects these kind of results?

I think the bigger plan for the club at this stage is just 'hanging on for the ride as best they can' until 2022 when Milford and Birds contracts will be done and that cost along with other dead wood (Boyd, Kahu, Macca) will be off the cap.

Due to cap restriction Seibs has only been able to buy gap fillers at this stage to just get us by.

Whilst Croft hasn't really hit the ground running as of yet I don't think that investment has been that bad, it was worth gamble, we were short on halves and he hasn't really cost us that much, he could still come good.

So the shopping for 2022 should really start next year and I expect we will see big roster changes next year for 2022.

I dare say the board didn't expect things to be this rocky tho, but i do think this would have been discussed with Seibold so the board really just have to back him now.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Just read Bellyache thinks he will retire at end of 202I. But thinks he would love to be involved some place. Well how about we give him a Role like Mal at the Titans.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Just read Bellyache thinks he will retire at end of 202I. But thinks he would love to be involved some place. Well how about we give him a Role like Mal at the Titans.
He did have Pies as his assistant at one point so it'd be a similar setup and what a great mentor and motivator to have around the club.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
Christ no. He's fucked us a couple of times by using the Broncos to get a better offer.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Christ no. He's fucked us a couple of times by using the Broncos to get a better offer.
Is'nt that the sort of shrewdness we need around the joint. Sometimes I think we were running a rehab centre for players with mental issues when Benny was here. We need to get back to the level of excellence that the likes of Porky Morgan and John Ribot demanded.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • johnny plath
  • Maroon4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Aldo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Organix
  • Seibs
  • Scdeac
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dexter
  • Tim K
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.