11. Josh Papalii
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Michael Morgan
15. Dylan Napa
16. Josh McGuire
17. Ethan Lowe

Why drop Cronk?

Am I the only person who wants to see Mal select a relatively safe side in his first foray as coach?

It's important to establish a team culture. Under Sheens, the Australian jersey didn't mean as much as what it should have and the team struggled for cohesiveness. Mal needs to get it right from the outset, establish a culture and bring through players slowly.

A lot of names I see thrown about strike me as one and done players. I find it embarrassing when that happens. It cheapens the jersey and the ultimate goal for any Australian player should be representing their country.

I'll have a go at picking a possible team:

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Morris
4. Dugan
5. Chambers
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Gallen
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Morgan
15. Woods
16. Guerra
17. Tamou

Hard to disagree with that tbh, Only question marks are on the centres and possibly Chambers on the wing.

Am I the only person who wants to see Mal select a relatively safe side in his first foray as coach?

It's important to establish a team culture. Under Sheens, the Australian jersey didn't mean as much as what it should have and the team struggled for cohesiveness. Mal needs to get it right from the outset, establish a culture and bring through players slowly.

A lot of names I see thrown about strike me as one and done players. I find it embarrassing when that happens. It cheapens the jersey and the ultimate goal for any Australian player should be representing their country.
Team culture is not dependent on all the players, but its senior ones, and it's important to be able to bring young deserving players into that culture, so they can absorb it, ingrain it, and pass it on once they have become the senior ones themselves.

Of course, there needs to be a balance between experience and youth, always with a criteria of meritorious selection, be it based on the historical performance, or the current form and future expectations.
The most important factor however, is to show that form matters, and name only accounts for so much. This helps to prevent complacency, while rewarding effort and ability.
Yes, any incumbent deserves preference, but he has to prove he is worth it by at least being close to the form of the guy breaking the door down.

FTR, my team is based on how I like to see league played: Less defensive calculation, more dared in attack, which is probably also why I've never been a great fan of Bennett's footy, despite of its undeniable effectiveness.

It's a team sport and you've got to pick players who are going to suit the role of the team. Selecting players on a lark or on personal bias will impede that and prevent the side from being as great as it can be.

It's a team sport and you've got to pick players who are going to suit the role of the team. Selecting players on a lark or on personal bias will impede that and prevent the side from being as great as it can be.
Like whom?

In your case, how many current NSW Origin players are in your 17?

Apart from hit up and tackle stats, why would most NSW players deserve an Australian spot? Their forwards barely make an impact at club level and that really shows at rep level. The shit they put out at Origin time makes it hard to want their losing culture in our Kangaoos team. Anyone else sick of the Kiwi forward pack dominating ours? Let's pick some dominant forwards. None of this hard working bullshit that has lost us so many games recently.

In your case, how many current NSW Origin players are in your 17?
Why is that important?

I've got 4 potential NSW players in there, and after the last SOO match, I don't see why there should be more.

Why is that important?

I've got 4 potential NSW players in there, and after the last SOO match, I don't see why there should be more.

After the last 10 years, for that matter.

This would be my 17, and I think I'm being moderately generous to NSW with this squad.

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Morris
4. Chambers
5. Mansour
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Morgan
15. Tamou
16. McGuire
17. Gillett

Last edited:
After the last 10 years, for that matter.

This would be my 17, and I think I'm being moderately generous to NSW with this squad.

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Morris
4. Chambers
5. Mansour
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Morgan
15. Tamou
16. McGuire
17. Gillett

That's about where I'm at.

Morris has been playing bog average for the dogs. My centres would be Jennings and either Chambers (with Oates on the wing) or Ferguson (with Chambers on the wing).

EDIT: you can bet your bottom dollar that NSW's darling, Klemmer, will be on the bench.

Last edited:
Morris has been playing bog average for the dogs. My centres would be Jennings and either Chambers (with Oates on the wing) or Ferguson (with Chambers on the wing).

He's been fine for the Dogs. And he's one of the most reliable centres we've got, never seen him under-perform in a rep game.

Why is that important?

Because their status as NSW Origin players is clearly affecting your judgement.

As is whether or not they're Broncos players except for Boyd and we all know how that story goes...

And hey it's a popular bias to have around here. We'd all love to see Oates, McGuire, Milford, Roberts and Gillett (who only received 15 minutes or so on debut) play Test footy but when the team is right. The team looks all over the shop with players playing out of position and little regard to defensive structures.

Why can't Ferguson play on the wing? He's been awful (defensively) in the centres for Sydney.

Otherwise I'd take Jennings over Morris as well.

Because their status as NSW Origin players is clearly affecting your judgement.

As is whether or not they're Broncos players except for Boyd and we all know how that story goes...

And hey it's a popular bias to have around here. We'd all love to see Oates, McGuire, Milford, Roberts and Gillett (who only received 15 minutes or so on debut) play Test footy but when the team is right. The team looks all over the shop with players playing out of position and little regard to defensive structures.
I don't have a problem if you disagree with my opinion, but please don't try to psychoanalyse me. :laugh:

I don't dislike Boyd at all. I didn't think we needed him when we got him, and explained the reasons why at the time.
In hindsight, I totally understand why Bennett likes and wants him, given how important he has been for us, especially in defense.
It was a mind trick I did to myself, because I was considering either him or Tedesco for the fullback spot, and it sort of made me forget the wing, where he has been so good. Of course I would have him there before Oates!

The rest of it has nothing to do with bias towards Qld or against NSW. It is based on merit and form over the last year and a half, as well as the type of footy I'd like to see them play, which is the main reason for the Tedesco and Milford choices.

What has Gallen done in the last 1.5 years to deserve a spot over Parker, Woods or Scott? In my opinion, you either start him or you leave him out of the team all together. Same thing goes for Bird really... what has he done to deserve a spot over Papalii or Gillett, who are the 2 best second rowers in the game at the moment?

The bench could certainly be argued. I wouldn't be shocked to see Fifita and Bird over Napa and Lowe, but McGuire has been consistently good over a long period and is in my opinion well overdue for a spot in the team.

Btw, how is the team all over the shop, and who is out of position? :noidea:

Who is playing left and right? Milford or Thurston? Both are left side-players. Who's covering them? Papalii? Great. Then the Kiwis have a whole edge of Roberts/Mansour/Milford (or JT) to run at. Mansour doesn't even play right, he's typically a left-side player so that's a great move. Where does Inglis play at club level? Gillett? What sort of experience does he have at this level at protecting players. Who is making way for Morgan? He isn't a great defender so that's another target. And if all else fails, SJ can launch a bomb at Oates and test him on his biggest weakness.

Two big boppers in the middle so Luke/SKD can have a field day running at them before they run straight at either JT or Milf.

What have these players done? Actually proven they can go at this level and can defend. What has Jennings, Boyd, Cronk, Tamou done? Much of the same thing.

It's why Queensland has generally gotten the most out of their talent. They don't chop and change and pick players on form. They build a team and select players to suit it, not just form or flashy players.

Last edited:
With all due respect to SOO loyalties, we should be picking the best available people in the best positions regardless of what state they play for. This is the main reason why the kiwis have had the jump on us in the past couple of years, its been the players and coaches inability to leave the SOO at the door when they walk into the AUSTRALIAN camp. You are playing for Australia not just your state

My team assuming everyone is still fit by the game

1. Greg Inglis
2. Josh Mansour
3. MIchael Jennings
4. Will Chambers
5. Darius Boyd
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Paul Gallen
11. Greg Bird
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Corey Parker

14. Aaron Woods
15. James Tamou
16. Matt Gillett
17. Michael Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • Ozired
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Jedhead
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Griffo
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Gympie devil
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Shane Tronc
  • Ffs...
  • BroncosAlways
  • ostin86
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.