vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we have Thurston to steer the team around, and I'd prefer a running 5/8 in the mould of Milford to pair with Thurston.

Do you not remember when QLD lost the trophy. Who was the key factor in why we lost, no Cooper Cronk that's who. He is the one who provides the direction and lets Thurston play his natural game. Thurston played shithouse without him for those games then as soon as he was back they won again because Cronk controlled the team whilst Thurston just played what is in front of him. If you take Cronk out you need an organiser to steer the team around.

Haven't watched an international rugby league game with any interest for about 10 years.

Australia - better team, bigger talent pool, if they turned their mind to it from day 1 of camp and applied a game plan that wasn't more than a glorified training run, they would win by 40 each fixture. But they grind, play safe and for 70 minutes will be in control.

If they're not up by more than 6.5 points, then...

New Zealand - play the grind for 70 minutes, then insert Shaun Johnson. Hope you are down less than 6.5 points.

Apart from hit up and tackle stats, why would most NSW players deserve an Australian spot? Their forwards barely make an impact at club level and that really shows at rep level. The shit they put out at Origin time makes it hard to want their losing culture in our Kangaoos team. Anyone else sick of the Kiwi forward pack dominating ours? Let's pick some dominant forwards. None of this hard working bullshit that has lost us so many games recently.

They had the wood on you for the first 2 games last year.

Who is playing left and right? Milford or Thurston? Both are left side-players. Who's covering them? Papalii? Great. Then the Kiwis have a whole edge of Roberts/Mansour/Milford (or JT) to run at. Mansour doesn't even play right, he's typically a left-side player so that's a great move. Where does Inglis play at club level? Gillett? What sort of experience does he have at this level at protecting players. Who is making way for Morgan? He isn't a great defender so that's another target. And if all else fails, SJ can launch a bomb at Oates and test him on his biggest weakness.

Two big boppers in the middle so Luke/SKD can have a field day running at them before they run straight at either JT or Milf.

What have these players done? Actually proven they can go at this level and can defend. What has Jennings, Boyd, Cronk, Tamou done? Much of the same thing.

It's why Queensland has generally gotten the most out of their talent. They don't chop and change and pick players on form. They build a team and select players to suit it, not just form or flashy players.
Qld hasn't chopped and changed because it didn't need to, and there have been no players braking the door down, whom haven't had a chance to prove it, perhaps outside of McGuire and Hunt last year. There just hasn't really been any justifiable reason to do so.

The same cannot be said about NSW or Australia, and there is absolutely no reason to not seek improvement, and the excuse that they have done it before doesn't fly, when they have been doing such a shit job of it.
Neither does the "they haven't proven they can go at this level and can defend", because:
1- They need to actually play to prove it.
2- Some of them (Papalii, Gillett for example) have actually done it at Origin level (which imo is a tougher arena than the Test one), and have certainly proven it.

I would have no issues with having Milford on the right with Gillett there to cover for him, as he has been doing quite well for Hunt since the start or the 2015 season. Mansour on the right is no issue at all, and while Chambers could be argued to play there above Roberts, and would arguable make the defense more solid, I prefer the latter's X-factor.

I've already explained the Oates/Boyd situation, so SJ would be sending bombs to Boyd.

Inglis plays left Centre for Qld, is that good enough to have him between Thurston and Boyd in a test as well?

Besides the 2 big boppers, who btw are good defenders, Luke would have Parker, Gillett and Papalii to contend with, as well as Lowe/Bird another mobile prop in McGuire from the bench. I doubt Luke or SKD will have a field day running at anyone.

In the middle of all this, how much this would benefit Australia in attack is being completely forgotten.

Do you not remember when QLD lost the trophy. Who was the key factor in why we lost, no Cooper Cronk that's who. He is the one who provides the direction and lets Thurston play his natural game. Thurston played shithouse without him for those games then as soon as he was back they won again because Cronk controlled the team whilst Thurston just played what is in front of him. If you take Cronk out you need an organiser to steer the team around.
True, but the issue wasn't really no Cronk. It was more like.. no DCE, who was the one supposed to do that job, and not only he didn't do it, he was a hindrance to Thurston!
Thurston is an excellent organiser himself if he is trusted to do the job. I mean, look at the Cowboys at the moment, and how well he fares with a half like Morgan next to him.

I'm not talking about recent history in Origin, I'm talking historically. NSW have always had the talent to match Queensland, but even in series like 82 were constantly choppin and changing the side only to find themselves struggling for cohesion while the Maroons gelled better and were simply a better team.

It's the old champion team vs team of champions debate and I'm on the former.

I'm just going to agree to disagree on the selections. There's too many flaws there for it to be viable but I'll concede that side would at least be interesting. My issue is the general notion that the team should just be filled with flashy players or whatever bias suits the team.

In saying that, I don't think this current crop of Test players has that much time left. It wouldn't surprise me to see a handful play their last game on ANZAC day. However, I think these players have achieved enough in the game to at least be granted an opportunity to prove themselves - especially if Mal is trying to set a tone.

With all due respect to SOO loyalties, we should be picking the best available people in the best positions regardless of what state they play for. This is the main reason why the kiwis have had the jump on us in the past couple of years, its been the players and coaches inability to leave the SOO at the door when they walk into the AUSTRALIAN camp. You are playing for Australia not just your state

My team assuming everyone is still fit by the game

1. Greg Inglis
2. Josh Mansour
3. MIchael Jennings
4. Will Chambers
5. Darius Boyd
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Paul Gallen
11. Greg Bird
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Corey Parker

14. Aaron Woods
15. James Tamou
16. Matt Gillett
17. Michael Morgan

Then why do you have Gallen starting over Woods and Guerra starting over Gillett? It's not even debatable that the later in both of those equations is better right now.

I'm not talking about recent history in Origin, I'm talking historically. NSW have always had the talent to match Queensland, but even in series like 82 were constantly choppin and changing the side only to find themselves struggling for cohesion while the Maroons gelled better and were simply a better team.

It's the old champion team vs team of champions debate and I'm on the former.

I'm just going to agree to disagree on the selections. There's too many flaws there for it to be viable but I'll concede that side would at least be interesting. My issue is the general notion that the team should just be filled with flashy players or whatever bias suits the team.

In saying that, I don't think this current crop of Test players has that much time left. It wouldn't surprise me to see a handful play their last game on ANZAC day. However, I think these players have achieved enough in the game to at least be granted an opportunity to prove themselves - especially if Mal is trying to set a tone.
I'm sorry, but Australia is currently not a champion team.

I wouldn't do the same chopping and changing to the Qld team for example, who are a champion team!

Regardless, the discussion is academic. It is something I would love to see, but not something I expect to happen.

At full strength they are.

One loss doesn't change that.

At full strength they are.

One loss doesn't change that.
I completely disagree with that. Australia has not been the team they should be for quite a while now!

There was only the one test last year,which we lost. In the 2014 4 nations our team was pretty much a bunch of second stringers. I think we had something like 12 incumbents not playing due to injuries/rehab. So I agree with BP that we have only really had the one loss as a full strength team.

So I agree with BP that we have only really had the one loss as a full strength team.

Even then, I thought the selections were terrible.

We can't pick a great like Hodgo who has done his country proud and been the best player on the park multiple times but here's another bunch of 30 years olds.

Besides, an out of position Dugan will clearly do a better job....

It was awful.

Then why do you have Gallen starting over Woods and Guerra starting over Gillett? It's not even debatable that the later in both of those equations is better right now.

Say what you will about Gallen, he is one of the best props in the world period. He gives you quality every time he puts on the jumper. He is there and he starts every day of the week. Woods off the bench can be just effective.
As for Guerra, I know the Roosters have been pretty poor but he has been one of the very few having a dig week in week out despite being asked to play out of position for some game time

Say what you will about Gallen, he is one of the best props in the world period. He gives you quality every time he puts on the jumper. He is there and he starts every day of the week. Woods off the bench can be just effective.
As for Guerra, I know the Roosters have been pretty poor but he has been one of the very few having a dig week in week out despite being asked to play out of position for some game time
I can see your point re Gallen, although I do think he is past it. He will undoubtedly deliver, but I still prefer Woods and Scott as starters, and Gallen is not a player I would carry on the bench.

Guerra I can't agree with. Besides being absolutely horrible all season, he plays on the left side.

With the Woods injury, McGuire would be a huge chance now for the bench spot. Him or Klemmer

Has to be Josh, he is good and not a hotheaded moron as well, massive advantage over Klemmer..

I'd like to see Mal clean house a little bit and set up with some players for the future. Some players who get picked on reputation haven't been performing for some time and it showed when they got owned by the Kiwis last year.

I'd like to see an aggressive and fast backline for Cronk and Thurston to put in the right spots:

1. Tedesco
2. Boyd
3. Jennings
4. Roberts
5. Mansour
6. Thurston
7. Cronk

Forwards that are going to keep the team moving forward:

8. Scott
9. Smith (C)
10. Woods
11. Papalii
12. Gillett
13. Parker

Impact bench:
14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. A. Fifita
17. Bird

I think they'll play:
1. Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Vatuvei
3. Kata
4. Kenny-Dowall
5. Kahu
6. Johnson
7. Foran
8. Bromwich
9. Luke
10. Bromwich
11. Harris
12. Mannering
13. Taumalolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncojim
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • Harry Sack
  • simplythebest
  • broncos4life
  • LittleDavey
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Manifesto
  • HVbronco
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • dasherhalo
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fozz
  • Porthoz
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.