Australian summer of cricket 2009-10

Browny said:
Average of 59.6 as opener from the above scores

Credit to Watson but keep in mind that Hughes' test average was also in the fifties when he was dropped.

m1c said:
Nice baiting.

Seriously though, this guy is the form player of Australian cricket. He is much maligned, and probably deserved a lot of criticism in the past but IMO it's now time for people to look past that. CA have developed a habit of giving a red carpet ride to those they deem exceptionally talented, that has seen Watson, Johnson and even Clarke benefit. Because of this he hasn't earned his place in the team like the majority do, but this year he has definitely justified the faith the selectors have had in him. He will take out ODI player of the year and will go very close to winning the AB medal.

Since he return to the test team he has been Australia's most prolific run scorer, racking up scores of 62, 53, 51, 34, 40, 0, 96, 48, 89, 30, 93 and 120* today. A phenomenal effort. This year In ODIs he's scored over 500 runs at 58 with the bat and has 16 wickets @ 23 with the ball. He's an unbelievable talent.

[eusa_clap.gi Couldn't agree more, since I first saw him you could see he had all the tools to do this he just needed time and faith especially with the injury setbacks. He could become one of the great allrounders the game has seen once Hughes comes in and Hussey retires so he can bat a bit lower and bowl more.

Yeah he is your ideal 5 or 6 and seems to have found a niche coming on and getting the ball to reverse. His spell of reverse swing this test was simply awesome.

Aus will be a much better balanced team when Hussey moves on. Clarke is crying out for a move up the order as well.

Yep Clarke is too low at 5 he comes in when we are either 3/400 or 3/50, meaning he never gets to bat in his normal manner, 4 would suit him perfectly and I would love to see North at 5 with Watson at 6 then you have the option of promoting Haddin or Johnson ahead of them if you need quicker runs.

1. Katich
2. Highes
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle/Bollinger horses for courses
11. Hilfenhaus

Completely agree Gymp.

I just wish we'd show some balls and drop Haddin though. He's nothing.

Oh yeah, he's rubbish behind the stumps. He's a batsman who can keep rather than a wicketkeeper.

Chris Hartley FTW! Vics scored 806 once and he didn't let a single bye through.

I agree on the Hartley comments, but unfortunately Adam Gilchrist made the selectors obsessed with batsmen who slog and keep wickets a bit.

6/51. Clearly Katich is worth 400 runs to this side.

Hughes, what a choker.

LOLZ! It is a nightmare to bat on, but they have bowled in the right areas as well. Ponting is a knob for choosing to bat.

Quality brain explosion there from Haddin, now 7/62.

Not the best decision to bat, but its been the shot making letting us down not the pitch. Only Watson and Clarke have got out to good balls.

I love matches dominated by bowlers, they're much more interesting to watch than games where batting is easy.

Doesn't help that you have a guy like Watson that is incapable of playing on a pitch like this.

Coxy said:
Doesn't help that you have a guy like Watson that is incapable of playing on a pitch like this.

Quality bait. This statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever when you consider he got out to a great delivery and actually looked pretty good before he got it and everyone else has looked ordinary.

Except he completely played down the wrong line, had his feet all over the shop and edged it like an under 16.

Admittedly his wasn't nearly as bad as the howlers Hussey, Ponting and Haddin hit, but still, it was poor batting.

Regardless of how he played it, it would have got just about any right hander on the planet out under the same conditions.

I don't think the decision to bat was a bad one. Would you want to face Danesh on a day 5 SCG pitch? No thanks.

Ponting needs to put his hook and pull shots away too if he is going to bat on to the Ashes in England.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
  • bert_lifts
  • broncs30
  • Foordy
  • MrMoore
  • Manifesto
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • ChewThePhatt
  • DrGee
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.