Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Ben Hunt will have to be in the 17 regardless. If DCE plays, they have to have Hunt there as cover.

Who do you reckon falls off the bench out of Lillyman, Te'o, McQueen, Taylor? (Assuming Guerra will start)

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Hunt wont be on the bench, they will revert to Inglis at 5/8 and use McQueen or Teo in the centres if they are desperate during the game

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Hunt wont be on the bench, they will revert to Inglis at 5/8 and use McQueen or Teo in the centres if they are desperate during the game

I disagree. If DCE starts I would nearly guarantee they put hunt on the bench

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Are there still 10 interchanges (international rules)? If so, you can get away with 3 bench forwards because you can rotate them more frequently.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
You still can't win a game like this one with 16 fit players

Agreed. I've never believed the "we need one player as cover" theory. We need all 17 players to contribute. If DCE is not confident of going eighty minutes then Hunt plays. It's as simple as that. We cannot have one player sitting on the bench twiddling their thumbs. If we're going with DCE then we need to have faith he can go the distance.

Back in the day, Cronk was on the bench but he could play a bit of back row and could also chime in at dummy half. He wasn't just there as "cover". Having said that, when the moment came in 2011 he was ready.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
People need to start thinking like Mal. There is more to including Hunt in the 17 than just injury coverage for DCE. He is going into his planning for the future mode again.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Agreed. I've never believed the "we need one player as cover" theory. We need all 17 players to contribute. If DCE is not confident of going eighty minutes then Hunt plays. It's as simple as that. We cannot have one player sitting on the bench twiddling their thumbs. If we're going with DCE then we need to have faith he can go the distance.

Back in the day, Cronk was on the bench but he could play a bit of back row and could also chime in at dummy half. He wasn't just there as "cover". Having said that, when the moment came in 2011 he was ready.

Play a bit of backrow and chime in at dummy half? Oh, what, you mean like hunt can?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Play a bit of backrow and chime in at dummy half? Oh, what, you mean like hunt can?

Seriously, get over yourself, b4l.

If Hunt plays then he needs to contribute. Hunt shouldn't just be used as "cover." If we take both in then he needs to be able to contribute and do those things. Otherwise we go with the four props.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Seriously, get over yourself, b4l.

If Hunt plays then he needs to contribute. Hunt shouldn't just be used as "cover." If we take both in then he needs to be able to contribute and do those things. Otherwise we go with the four props.

Ummm did you read my post? I said he can contribute.

Let's not make comments personal yeah champ?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Ummm did you read my post? I said he can contribute.

Let's not make comments personal yeah champ?

That's what I was saying as well. I was responding to a post from another user about if we use Hunt as injury cover and nothing else we are essentially down to 16 men.

Am happy not to make personal comments champ but it would be good if you actually read other people's posts and not just make a cursory glance while thinking up your next snide comment. Sound good?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That's what I was saying as well. I was responding to a post from another user about if we use Hunt as injury cover and nothing else we are essentially down to 16 men.

Am happy not to make personal comments champ but it would be good if you actually read other people's posts and not just make a cursory glance while thinking up your next snide comment. Sound good?

Your comment was confusing.

My next snide comment? And I'm the one that needs to get over himself... Ok mate

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
C'mon guys, my kids fight better than that! :P

Definitely concerned about DCE playing at less than 100%. With the other guys probably shy of 100% in Inglis and Slater (at least, maybe others) we NEED a half playing to their ability. Concerned Hunt might buckle under the pressure, and concerned it will ruin him in the medium-long term, but I think that's a risk we have to take. I'm more confident in him than I was on the weekend, after some reflection and reading Smith's comments that he's been pushing the team around in training, doing lots of talking. He could be ready.

We know how the Blue bastards play. They WILL target DCE if he plays. I expect nothing less than dog shots at his knee, twisting it in tackles, all the same shit we see every year. If he's not right, he will be found out and we'll be a man short again. We won't win it a man short. Bring on the Hunt, Mal.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
C'mon guys, my kids fight better than that! :P

Definitely concerned about DCE playing at less than 100%. With the other guys probably shy of 100% in Inglis and Slater (at least, maybe others) we NEED a half playing to their ability. Concerned Hunt might buckle under the pressure, and concerned it will ruin him in the medium-long term, but I think that's a risk we have to take. I'm more confident in him than I was on the weekend, after some reflection and reading Smith's comments that he's been pushing the team around in training, doing lots of talking. He could be ready.

We know how the Blue bastards play. They WILL target DCE if he plays. I expect nothing less than dog shots at his knee, twisting it in tackles, all the same **** we see every year. If he's not right, he will be found out and we'll be a man short again. We won't win it a man short. Bring on the Hunt, Mal.

This.

The Blues Bastards are going to do absolutely everything they can, within, and pushing to the limit of the rules, to win this, and end the Maroons dynasty. They will play with anger, ferocity and total commitment. They will be fearsome and ferocious opposition in this game, especially with a win under their belt. It's their single most important game in 8 years. It's their defining moment.

If we field any weaknesses, like fitness, they will be exposed and taken advantage of ruthlessly.

Hunt for mine, and if DCE, Inglis and Slater are not 100%, they won't last.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I don't think we need to worry too much. Receive from the kick off, Scott with the first hit up. Smith to Thurston to Inglis who breezes past Dugan then either fends off Hayne with a head-full-of steams or goes wide to Boyd or inside to Slater for the try. Repeat.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I don't think we need to worry too much. Receive from the kick off, Scott with the first hit up. Smith to Thurston to Inglis who breezes past Dugan then either fends off Hayne with a head-full-of steams or goes wide to Boyd or inside to Slater for the try. Repeat.

My version: I don't think we need to worry too much. Receive from the kick off, Scott with the first hit up. Smith to Hunt to Hodges who breezes past anyone and everyone then steps Hayne and sledges him as does so laughing his head off and scores himself. Repeat

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

I think Hunt can do that as well, if not better, than Cronk.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • easybreezy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.