Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Happy to say I've believed in hunt since Wallace got the slip last year and he starred against the Knights and cowboys. I'm also glad he's being challenged by having no 5/8th. If we all remember what Hook said last year about his performance at 7, that he faded out through patches. With no senior play makers to fall behind, its forced him to step up and not just compensate for no real halves partner, but take control of an entire team for an entire season (so far). By knowing he is in charge, he is accountable for the losses, and is reaping the benefits of a win. ie, getting a genuine shot at origin. Respect to hook for setting the challenge, and hats off to Benny for answering it

I think you neglect that Barba's role coming forward behind and into the line to compensate for the lack of a real 5/8 was in my view, also part of Hook's plan, to change Barba's game from mainly running the ball to being also more a play maker.

Hunt's "fading out in patches" might also have something to do with the rather radical change of role and minutes played, and I still think that the pressure on Hunt to "take control of an entire team" is a 2 edged sword. It has its positives, but also places extra pressure on Barba and Hunt. Fortunately, both look they are stepping up to the challenge better than expected.

As well, I am unsure that Hunt is that much of an organizer (yet) that he actually takes control of the whole team. I think there's a role for Macca and setting up the forwards who also have stated to pass the ball a lot more, and, there is always the leadership role taken by Parker and Hodges.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I think you neglect that Barba's role coming forward behind and into the line to compensate for the lack of a real 5/8 was in my view, also part of Hook's plan, to change Barba's game from mainly running the ball to being also more a play maker.

Hunt's "fading out in patches" might also have something to do with the rather radical change of role and minutes played, and I still think that the pressure on Hunt to "take control of an entire team" is a 2 edged sword. It has its positives, but also places extra pressure on Barba and Hunt. Fortunately, both look they are stepping up to the challenge better than expected.

As well, I am unsure that Hunt is that much of an organizer (yet) that he actually takes control of the whole team. I think there's a role for Macca and setting up the forwards who also have stated to pass the ball a lot more, and, there is always the leadership role taken by Parker and Hodges.

Couldn't tell if you were responding negatively to my post haha

but I agree with everything you said. They're creating quite the spine. Hoffman is just a black and white drawing of what's yet to come when milford will color it in

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Hunt's been great this year but if DCE is willing you still want him to come. The two I feel would actually compliment each other well as DCE is better at playing the traditional halfback role whilst Hunt looks like he'd excel in the five eight role.

With the way Barba is playing you just let Milford play fullback and let Barba go. DCE > Barba.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hunt's been great this year but if DCE is willing you still want him to come. The two I feel would actually compliment each other well as DCE is better at playing the traditional halfback role whilst Hunt looks like he'd excel in the five eight role.

With the way Barba is playing you just let Milford play fullback and let Barba go. DCE > Barba.

That won't be how it happens though. Barba and DCE are very good mates and I'd imagine part of the lure for DCE would be to play with his mate. DCE is one of the best players in the game and I'll take him at the Broncos in a heart beat but I can see us losing a lot of our forward pack when trying to fit him in. The quality of our forward pack will be poor but we will have a quality 1, 6, 7 and 9. Maybe with Bellamy that set up would work.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I'm really looking forward to seeing what benefits Hunt's time in the Maroon Camp brings to his game. You have to think he's communicating with JT and Cherry Evans constantly, maybe even Cronk if he's hanging out with the team. Add in Locky and Langer on top of them (and maybe a hint of Wally here and there) and you've got a young halfbacks wet dream of experience and tutelage all within arms reach.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Couldn't tell if you were responding negatively to my post haha

but I agree with everything you said. They're creating quite the spine. Hoffman is just a black and white drawing of what's yet to come when milford will color it in

No, not at all negatively. Just wanted to add my thoughts on Barba's role as I see it.

And, going against the very strong flow, I still would prefer Milford at FB and Barba at 5/8. In terms of effectiveness, I think Milford is the better ball runner and Barba the better ball player, and they can both kick.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
That won't be how it happens though. Barba and DCE are very good mates and I'd imagine part of the lure for DCE would be to play with his mate. DCE is one of the best players in the game and I'll take him at the Broncos in a heart beat but I can see us losing a lot of our forward pack when trying to fit him in. The quality of our forward pack will be poor but we will have a quality 1, 6, 7 and 9. Maybe with Bellamy that set up would work.

TBH, it's working at Manly at the moment too.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm really looking forward to seeing what benefits Hunt's time in the Maroon Camp brings to his game. You have to think he's communicating with JT and Cherry Evans constantly, maybe even Cronk if he's hanging out with the team. Add in Locky and Langer on top of them (and maybe a hint of Wally here and there) and you've got a young halfbacks wet dream of experience and tutelage all within arms reach.

If he plays, and I hope he does, I also hope he doesn't get in Thurston's way, forgetting it's Thurston, not Hoffman with whom he's playing. He doesn't have to do it mostly on his own in this game.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If he plays, and I hope he does, I also hope he doesn't get in Thurston's way, forgetting it's Thurston, not Hoffman with whom he's playing. He doesn't have to do it mostly on his own in this game.

Haha, I can't see him keeping the ball away from Thurston.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

Hunt's job will be clearly defined. I imagine (and I have no pedigree as a rugby league coach btw) it would be something like - hold strong in defense, don't make mistakes and when you see something down the short side call for it.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

but if hunt see's an opportunity for a blind side attack, he needs to be encouraged to do so and not just shovel it on to thurston. his strengths got him into the origin side, those strengths need to be utilised at origin level too.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
im still of the belief that DCE is a certainty to play even if injured. althought i much rather ben hunt get the nod i think with the confidence he has and having thurston with him in the halves he could actually improve qlds chances of winning compared to a half fit DCE.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
im still of the belief that DCE is a certainty to play even if injured. althought i much rather ben hunt get the nod i think with the confidence he has and having thurston with him in the halves he could actually improve qlds chances of winning compared to a half fit DCE.

In this game, if anyone is less than 100% fit then the Maroons will get smashed, and a less than fit DCE is suicide.

Ben Hunt for mine

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Ben Hunt will have to be in the 17 regardless. If DCE plays, they have to have Hunt there as cover.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Ben Hunt will have to be in the 17 regardless. If DCE plays, they have to have Hunt there as cover.

You still can't win a game like this one with 16 fit players

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.