Ben Hunt vs Ash Taylor

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Re: Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016

**** may have HELPED get us to a GF, but he also LOST it for us with not one, but TWO bonehead plays. And he hasn't done a whole lot to make up for it this year. The whole team hasn't played well. But Hunt makes it that much harder with his shit kicking game.

If he can't find some quality form and LEAD the team for the rest of the year like a Number Seven should, he can **** off and we'll find someone who can.

I'll admit a lot of Broncos fans are harsh on hunt, but some of you blokes would take a load for him I swear.

If Thurston kicks the goal after the bell you are blaming Oates, right?. Why the need to blame someone? . Why not blame the ref for not calling Feldts first punch out a knock on.? Why not blame the tactics of trying to defend from so far out.? So many things happened in that game, any one of which could have changed the result

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

If we are going to start blaming people for losing the GF, then IMO we should be blaming either Reed or Oates ... if one of them make the tackle on the siren, then the game never goes to golden point in the first place.
It is true that Oates fucked up on that final play, no question. However, for whatever reason, it didn't result in them winning the game.

Ben Hunt dropping the ball from the kick off, in golden point extra time, cost us the grand final. You can dispute it as much as you want, but reality says differently.

Ok so, with that out of the way, the argument that people have is that oh but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have got to the grand final ... ? yeah but we didn't win. does anyone really give a shit about being runners up? do they count it as an accolade? no. so it is an irrelevant argument when you consider that based on how we and he are playing, we will not make the final this year, and it is difficult to see us making another grand final without him dramatically improving his obvious weaknesses.

so then, if it is difficult to see how the aforementioned would occur, then you need to start thinking about how you can change it. you have two halves that cannot kick, but are good runners of the ball. 1 of them is 21 and is on close to a million dollars, and can actually be excused for not being brilliant at everything on an account of him being 21. The other is a 26yo halfback that doesn't know how to kick or control a game.

gee, which one would I choose? the one with the upside and age on his side or the one that hasn't made any improvement in glaring weaknesses in 2 years?

Last edited:
A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014

People click on this thread to read about Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016, hence the title. You should create a new thread If you want to share your oh so knowledgeable opinion on why you think hunt has contributed to what ever it is you think he has or hasnt done. I'm sure a lot people would like to join in on your circlejerk so please create a new thread and that way there will be one central location for you all to come onto... and share the same idea over and over again.

Cheers.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

yeah astro that's great and all but what's your opinion on hunt lol

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

If Thurston kicks the goal after the bell you are blaming Oates, right?. Why the need to blame someone? . Why not blame the ref for not calling Feldts first punch out a knock on.? Why not blame the tactics of trying to defend from so far out.? So many things happened in that game, any one of which could have changed the result

Everyone ignoring everthing but the first line of my post, it seems. Like I said, Hunt fucked up TWICE, two very vital moments - one literally cost us the game...others contributed to it. No need for what ifs. Not to mention the shit kicking in the second half of the GF that seemed to have set up his shit kicking this year.

Hunt hasn't stepped up like he needed to. He has everything to be a great player, but having it and actually using it are two different things. If he can step up in the next few weeks, even if we don't make the GF as most of us conclude we won't, I'll back him. If not, I'd be happy to look elsewhere.

If he doesn't finish the year strong, reserve grade next year.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
What was the other thing that contributed to the loss?

I hope you're not referring to the tackle.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It is true that Oates fucked up on that final play, no question. However, for whatever reason, it didn't result in them winning the game.

Ben Hunt dropping the ball from the kick off, in golden point extra time, cost us the grand final. You can dispute it as much as you want, but reality says differently.

Ok so, with that out of the way, the argument that people have is that oh but if it wasn't for him he wouldn't have got us to the grand final ... ? yeah but we didn't win. does anyone really give a shit about being runners up? do they count it as an accolade? no. so it is an irrelevant argument when you consider that based on how we and he are playing, we will not make the final this year, and it is difficult to see us making another grand final without him dramatically improving his obvious weaknesses.

so then, if it is difficult to see how the aforementioned would occur, then you need to start thinking about how you can change it. you have two halves that cannot kick, but are good runners of the ball. 1 of them is 21 and is on close to a million dollars, and can actually be excused for not being brilliant at everything on an account of him being 21. The other is a 26yo halfback that doesn't know how to kick or control a game.

gee, which one would I choose? the one with the upside and age on his side or the one that hasn't made any improvement in glaring weaknesses in 2 years?

If it makes you feel better to blame Hunt for the GF defeat ... go right ahead ... but there are several other key moments that contributed to the loss well before golden point started.

FTR, while he may have won the Clive Churchill medal ... his opposite number didn't have his greatest game either.

Now, If you are implying that we should replace Hunt with Taylor, then there is no way i can even remotely agree with that.

I make no secret of the fact that I am a big fan of young Taylor and think his ceiling is far higher than Hunts is, but right now in 2016 Hunt is the superior player ... probably will be for 2017 as well,

now lets have a look at how bad Hunt is really going this year:

Try Assists: 19... that puts him in 1st place (1 ahead of Thurston and 2 ahead of Cronk; while Taylor has 10 putting him in 24th place)
Line Breaks: 9 which puts hime miles ahead of Cronk who has 5 JT who has 4 and Taylor who has 4
Line Break Assists: 11 (which does put him a bit behind JT who has 18, and just behind Cronk who has 14, but ahead of Taylor who has 9
Tries 5 (half as many as Cronk, but equal with Taylor and ahead of JT who has 2)

and remember Thurston and Cronk are on double Hunt's salary, but he is more than matching it with them.

If our forward pack can regain some form and stop being dominated every week, then Hunt can once again lead us to the GF. but he can't do it behind a beaten pack.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Macca cost us the GF truth be told. Everyone seems to gloss over that dummy when all he had to do was pass to Parker to walk over under the posts.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
If it makes you feel better to blame Hunt for the GF defeat ... go right ahead ... but there are several other key moments that contributed to the loss well before golden point started.

FTR, while he may have won the Clive Churchill medal ... his opposite number didn't have his greatest game either.

Now, If you are implying that we should replace Hunt with Taylor, then there is no way i can even remotely agree with that.

I make no secret of the fact that I am a big fan of young Taylor and think his ceiling is far higher than Hunts is, but right now in 2016 Hunt is the superior player ... probably will be for 2017 as well,

now lets have a look at how bad Hunt is really going this year:

Try Assists: 19... that puts him in 1st place (1 ahead of Thurston and 2 ahead of Cronk; while Taylor has 10 putting him in 24th place)
Line Breaks: 9 which puts hime miles ahead of Cronk who has 5 JT who has 4 and Taylor who has 4
Line Break Assists: 11 (which does put him a bit behind JT who has 18, and just behind Cronk who has 14, but ahead of Taylor who has 9
Tries 5 (half as many as Cronk, but equal with Taylor and ahead of JT who has 2)

and remember Thurston and Cronk are on double Hunt's salary, but he is more than matching it with them.

If our forward pack can regain some form and stop being dominated every week, then Hunt can once again lead us to the GF. but he can't do it behind a beaten pack.
In my opinion, it is not about how well or bad Hunt is going, and his ability as a running half should not be put into question either.
Hunt is not the problem, however being paired with another running half in Milford is where things go a bit pear shaped, because we really have no one in the team capable of systematically organise, control and build pressure, especially with a good kicking game.

One of the halves needs to be able to do that as a second nature, and neither of ours can. That is why Ash Taylor, even if not at Hunt's level yet (which he isn't, let's not kid ourselves), would be a better fit for us.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to lose Hunt, because he deserves loyalty and is without a doubt a quality player, so how do we do that...

I still believe Milf could be an incredible fullback for us, even if we lose Boyd's defensive guidance by possibly placing him at centre. Hunt could then partner with a guy complementing his qualities (Ash Taylor) in the halves, and we would have a better team as whole imo.

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
Even though there is nothing to substantiate it I hope it's true. I feel for Ben having limited exposure to NRL during his formative years under Griffin but we can't carry him for the next 7 years out of guilt. Ash Taylor and Nathan Cleary will be the 2 next leading halfbacks Of the new generation, we need him back.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Macca cost us the GF truth be told. Everyone seems to gloss over that dummy when all he had to do was pass to Parker to walk over under the posts.

I'm still dirty with him over this...

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Even though there is nothing to substantiate it I hope it's true. I feel for Ben having limited exposure to NRL during his formative years under Griffin but we can't carry him for the next 7 years out of guilt. Ash Taylor and Nathan Cleary will be the 2 next leading halfbacks Of the new generation, we need him back.

I don't think anyone is saying we should carry him for the next 7 years.

I think people just want us to give Hunt another year or two. At least until the end of his contract.

If he shows no improvement by the end of his contract, we would need to explore other options.

This could all be simple if we just sign a good halves coach.

One of the Johns brothers would be my preference.

Last edited:
LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Macca also missed a tackle on Thurston before he passed it wide with 5 seconds on the clock. So did Blair. Then Oates came in. If none of those happened, Hunt would be a premiership-winning halfback and deservedly so. But, those things did happen. So did the dropped ball, and the history books showed we lost. It doesn't matter anymore.

People also forget the faith Hunt showed in the club. Signing repeatedly as a bench hooker to stay with the club despite offers from elsewhere. We *do* owe him somewhat.

As far as this year, I'm with [MENTION=2221]Porthoz[/MENTION] - we have two instinctive running halves without natural organisational skills. That's where we're going wrong. I would cream my pants for a spine of Milf-Hunt-Taylor-Macca - but I'm also conscious of Boyd's impact, he's the Australian FB and rightly so at this point. I don't have an answer, but I would not support punting Hunt. He has his flaws, but he also has his strengths. He's no Thurston or Cronk, but I'd take him over most of the other halves in the comp.

I am a huge fan of Taylor, but I also want to see how he handles his second year of NRL.

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
Macca also missed a tackle on Thurston before he passed it wide with 5 seconds on the clock. So did Blair. Then Oates came in. If none of those happened, Hunt would be a premiership-winning halfback and deservedly so. But, those things did happen. So did the dropped ball, and the history books showed we lost. It doesn't matter anymore.

People also forget the faith Hunt showed in the club. Signing repeatedly as a bench hooker to stay with the club despite offers from elsewhere. We *do* owe him somewhat.

As far as this year, I'm with [MENTION=2221]Porthoz[/MENTION] - we have two instinctive running halves without natural organisational skills. That's where we're going wrong. I would cream my pants for a spine of Milf-Hunt-Taylor-Macca - but I'm also conscious of Boyd's impact, he's the Australian FB and rightly so at this point. I don't have an answer, but I would not support punting Hunt. He has his flaws, but he also has his strengths. He's no Thurston or Cronk, but I'd take him over most of the other halves in the comp.

I am a huge fan of Taylor, but I also want to see how he handles his second year of NRL.

That feeling that we owe Ben his spot is bad business. Don't get me wrong I'm not laying the clubs problems this year at ben's feet but I think we need to look to the future and we need someone with a different skill set. Another club would scoop him up anyway and to that I say salut because he has something to offer, just not to us.

Last edited:
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Funny that we are having this conversation after the game Taylor put forward this weekend. I guess throwing passes to the opposition just means he's emulating the great 9 game wonder, Jarryd Hayne or something. How many of the oppositions points scored are related directly to Ben Hunt? Far less than Taylor that is for sure.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That feeling that we owe Ben his spot is bad business. Don't get me wrong I'm not laying the clubs problems this year at ben's feet but I think we need to look to the future and we need someone with a different skill set. Another club would scoop him up anyway and to that I say salut because he has something to offer, just not to us.

Yeah but that's just your opinion, fortunately it isn't shared by there people that matter.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I was just typing that when you posted.

Game set match if Macca doesn't throw that dummy.

I still can't believe he didn't pass that ball

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Rookie Alan
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.