Ben Hunt vs Ash Taylor

Re: Areas That Need Fixing for 2017

Taylor is a bigger defensive liability than Hunt, and even if it's not the case, it's because Hunt is "much more involved", besides Milford is the bigger issue at the Broncos. It's true because [MENTION=8468]Cult3[/MENTION] says so!

Taylor's fans have repeatedly acknowledged his flaws, but apparently can't accept them, because they point Hunt's flaws.
The fact they never said that Taylor is a better player, but instead would be a better suit for the Broncos is irrelevant, because [MENTION=8468]Cult3[/MENTION] is right!

Infallible logic! :laugh:

We could have kept Taylor or Jnik, but it's not Bennett's Style to keep players from finding better opportunities or keeping people around who've made it clear they want to leave. That's what makes him such a respected coach.

Would you prefer he pull a Ricky and force players to stay?

If anything Taylor would have overthrown Milford, not Hunt. You guys are the first to claim stats don't show everything and the fact that Hunt has made a shit load more tackles than Taylor and their missed tackles are so close doesn't prove that Hunt is worse at all. Taylor fans absolutely do not acknowledge his flaws. It's rarely seen on here at least.

I look forward to hearing how keeping Jarrod Wallace would have been a better choice than McGuire who apparently doesn't bend the line in 2017 as well. Scapegoats everywhere

If anything Taylor would have overthrown Milford, not Hunt. You guys are the first to claim stats don't show everything and the fact that Hunt has made a shit load more tackles than Taylor and their missed tackles are so close doesn't prove that Hunt is worse at all. Taylor fans absolutely do not acknowledge his flaws. It's rarely seen on here at least.

I look forward to hearing how keeping Jarrod Wallace would have been a better choice than McGuire who apparently doesn't bend the line in 2017 as well. Scapegoats everywhere

You won't be hearing that from me!

Also, Taylor wouldn't have overthrown Milford because A) Milford was our best player for the first 10 rounds, was our best player last season, and he's only 22 & B) Taylor isn't a Five-Eighth, he's a Halfback

Hunt was horrific for the first few months, Milford was good for the first few months, it's pretty obvious who Taylor would've replaced if he was still around.

Last edited:

You won't be hearing that from me!

Also, Taylor wouldn't have overthrown Milford because A) Milford was our best player for the first 10 rounds, was our best player last season, and he's only 22 & B) Taylor isn't a Five-Eighth, he's a Halfback

Hunt was horrific for the first few months, Milford was good for the first few months, it's pretty obvious who Taylor would've replaced if he was still around.
Again I'm happy that you're not involved in the club. You would have replaced Hunt, our grand final halfback based on the first ten rounds. You'd be great for team moral. Start the season somewhat worse than you would expect and you cut him? Neither of our halves would have been replaced in the first ten rounds, it's just not how successful clubs work. Taylor would had to have been playing Qcup until late in the season at which point Milford was uninvolved, overweight, dropping every ball that came his way and taking 3 minutes to play the ball.

Yeah because halfbacks can't play five-eight. The Broncos certainly didn't play the halfback as first reciever and their five-eight as second receiver this year, did they?

Again I'm happy that you're not involved in the club. You would have replaced Hunt, our grand final halfback based on the first ten rounds. You'd be great for team moral. Start the season somewhat worse than you would expect and you cut him? Neither of our halves would have been replaced in the first ten rounds, it's just not how successful clubs work. Taylor would had to have been playing Qcup until late in the season at which point Milford was uninvolved, overweight, dropping every ball that came his way and taking 3 minutes to play the ball.

Yeah because halfbacks can't play five-eight. The Broncos certainly didn't play the halfback as first reciever and their five-eight as second receiver this year, did they?

Not sure why you're getting salty lol, I never said I would replace Hunt with Taylor based on the first 10 rounds, why are you making stuff up to improve your argument? You stated that "If anything Taylor would have overthrown Milford, not Hunt.", I simply countered that statement with facts about Milford that would decrease the likelihood of him being the one that Taylor would've replaced in your hypothetical scenario. Please think rationally sir.

We could have kept Taylor or Jnik, but it's not Bennett's Style to keep players from finding better opportunities or keeping people around who've made it clear they want to leave. That's what makes him such a respected coach.

Would you prefer he pull a Ricky and force players to stay?
If it's for the Broncos benefit, which is still WB's primary concern, absolutely! And FTR, he has done so many times in the past.

Regardless, outside of Parcell, which I am unsure of, it's not like Ash or JNik made clear they wanted to leave... on the contrary.
They were told they were no chance of competing for their respective spot, so they were better off looking elsewhere.
Make no mistake, it was a deliberate choice by Wayne.

Just stop. Hunt still misses more tackles per attempt than Taylor, which kinda disagrees with the above and this statement:

You could also make the argument that teams would score more tries against us therefore negating any repeat set that Taylor might get for us. Imagine having two defensive liabilities instead of just Milford.

Let me put down AGAIN, the pros and cons of Taylor vs. Hunt imo:

- Hunt has the better running game and experience. He's probably also better at taking advantage of broken play.
- Taylor is faster, has the better kicking game and 5th tackle management.

In other areas, such as defense and passing, they're probably not too far from each other.

Milford is the more talented player out of all three of them, and the question that remains, is which type of player do the Broncos need most between Hunt and Taylor?
I think you know the answer to that, but that would be admitting being wrong all this time...

What I would like to know is why does Hunt make so many more tackles than other halfbacks? He made more than double the amount Thurston did. You have to wonder how much less effective JT would be if his defensive workload doubled.

Maybe the team needs to be looking for ways to protect Hunt a bit more in defense.

What I would like to know is why does Hunt make so many more tackles than other halfbacks? He made more than double the amount Thurston did. You have to wonder how much less effective JT would be if his defensive workload doubled.

Maybe the team needs to be looking for ways to protect Hunt a bit more in defense.

We've already got Gillett next to making a good 35+ tackles per game, not sure what more we could do.. It's probably the fact that teams know that side of the field is our weakest defensively with Roberts & Hunt, so they all target it, forcing Gillett & Hunt to make a lot more tackles than ideal.

We've already got Gillett next to making a good 35+ tackles per game, not sure what more we could do.. It's probably the fact that teams know that side of the field is our weakest defensively with Roberts & Hunt, so they all target it, forcing Gillett & Hunt to make a lot more tackles than ideal.

Thurston plays wing for half of each game. Maybe Hunt could do the same Hmmm... not really a viable option unless Roberts improves his tackling.

Isn't there a Hunt V Taylor thread FFS?

Isn't there a Hunt V Taylor thread FFS?
The original discussion was about Bennett himself, which turned into:

- He's awesome because he knows to get rid of dead weight (Hoggman, Kennedy, etc...), and didn't stand in the way of other players leaving for better chances.
- He's not so awesome because he got rid of the best talent we had (Taylor, Parcell, JNik, Barba, etc...), and left us with no alternatives in the halves/hooker, besides the least talented of the lot: KNik.

Nek minnit, we're arguing Hunt vs Taylor via Parcell vs Macca... :noidea:

P.S. I'm moving this discussion into the Hunt v Taylor thread for the more sensitive souls amongst us... :thefinger:

The original discussion was about Bennett himself, which turned into:

- He's awesome because he knows to get rid of dead weight (Hoggman, Kennedy, etc...), and didn't stand in the way of other players leaving for better chances.
- He's not so awesome because he got rid of the best talent we had (Taylor, Parcell, JNik, Barba, etc...), and left us with no alternatives in the halves/hooker, besides the least talented of the lot: KNik.

Nek minnit, we're arguing Hunt vs Taylor via Parcell vs Macca... :noidea:

P.S. I'm moving this discussion into the Hunt v Taylor thread for the more sensitive souls amongst us... :thefinger:

Good to hear. FTR, I'm not sensitive about the issue at all. I think letting Taylor go was a **** up, but then again....hindsight. We went within a poor defensive read and, consequently a dropped ball, of winning a grand final. The majority of that team was always going to be retained, particularly the spine. As a club supporter, I'm annoyed that he was let go but as a supporter of the sport I have to applaud it.

On that, he was on the radio earlier today and Kent quizzed him on whether he'll be at the Titans for a while. He was silent for a bit and didn't seem to know what to say. When he did answer, he was extremely coy. He also let slip that the Broncos did in fact table him an offer.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure, based on the homemade BBQ sauce I'm eating, that Taylor will return to the Broncs. I reckon Hunt has been told that he has one (maybe two) more season(s) to become the complete package or he is gone.

Taylor back to the Broncos next year, to be announced next week. That's why the hunt/radradra swap is happening. You heard it here first.

Let's give hunt a giant mongrel forward pack to play off and see how he goes.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ParraMania
  • BroncosAlways
  • The Boss
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.