Ben Hunt vs Ash Taylor

until a better option becomes available ... and right now as of 6:47pm on 15th August 2016 ... Ashley Taylor is not the better option.

that will likely change in the future... but not for several years IMO

Right. So we agree that Ash Taylor is a better option than Hunt.

Let's chase him.

Right. So we agree that Ash Taylor is a better option than Hunt.

Let's chase him.

obviously you can't read because i said "[FONT=&quot]Ashley Taylor is not the better option"[/FONT]

But if we chase him now, in a few years when he comes off contract, and his the better option, we will have a chance to snatch him. I'm sure by 2018 you'll be sick of Hunt too, so it will be happy days.

And I can't read. But I am learning.

Last edited:
But if we chase him now, in a few years when he comes off contract, and his the better option, we will have a chance to snatch him. I'm sure by 2018 you'll be sick of Hunt too, so it will be happy days.

and how many years do we sacrifice a shot at the title in the hopes that Taylor turns potential into consistent performance.

I recall most people on here were at least ok, if not happy with Bennett releasing Taylor a year early. and you know the biggest thing that has changed between this year and last (when every one was singing Hunt's praises)? our pack has been beaten most weeks in our slump. mainly because of inexperience due to rep duties, injuries and suspension.

however when we do get into attacking positions Hunt and Milford are able to convert their fair share.

[MENTION=8300]FaithinHook[/MENTION] has hacked Nashy's account. BHQ in lockdown.

and how many years do we sacrifice a shot at the title in the hopes that Taylor turns potential into consistent performance.

I recall most people on here were at least ok, if not happy with Bennett releasing Taylor a year early. and you know the biggest thing that has changed between this year and last (when every one was singing Hunt's praises)? our pack has been beaten most weeks in our slump. mainly because of inexperience due to rep duties, injuries and suspension.

however when we do get into attacking positions Hunt and Milford are able to convert their fair share.

I know I'm not very good at it. But I read that the last time you wrote it. I just don't believe having good forwards means Hunt magically becomes a good kicker. I sang his praises last year, along with the majority of the team, they did something no one expected them to do. However, I was merely prepared to give him a shot. Shane Perry is a good example of how a team going great guns, doesn't necessarily mean you're a good half back.

I know I'm not very good at it. But I read that the last time you wrote it. I just don't believe having good forwards means Hunt magically becomes a good kicker. I sang his praises last year, along with the majority of the team, they did something no one expected them to do. However, I was merely prepared to give him a shot. Shane Perry is a good example of how a team going great guns, doesn't necessarily mean you're a good half back.

and kicking is the only thing that Taylor does better than Hunt.

besides it is much easier to execute your kicks when you don't have the defence in your face, like Hunt does most of the time... and this is where his team mates let him down. Hunt kicks 90% of the time, the opposition know he is likely to kick so are able to put the pressure on him.

Macca and Milf need to take on more of the kicking to keep the opposition guessing... we have seen that Macca actually has a good long kicking game, so he should be kicking more when we are stuck in our own half.

and of course there is the kick chase ... a good kick chase can improve the effectiveness of kicks. our kick chase hasn't been as good this year and that is down to attitude and confidence.

there was one kick from Hunt, early in Friday's that really annoyed me ... Hunt kicked the ball and there was absolutely no chase on it. the ball took an eternity to cross the dead ball line. if we had a good chase on that occasion and put some pressure on the Eels defense, then what was an avaerage kick, would have turned into a great kick.

To be fair to Hunt in this comparison, Taylor is rarely the primary kicker for the Gold Coast Titans.

It's a lot easier to get a kick away when you're not being targeted by the defensive line all the time because they know who to rush up on come last play.

Meanwhile, not only has Hunt been the primary kicker, it's a stat he led comfortably in 2014-15 and ranks second in 2016.

Purely because I'm curious, what are you referring to here? I don't remember saying that much about him, only that he's extremely good at scoring tries, I think he's already proven that theory correct this year, despite Hunt being incapable of hitting him on the chest very often.

My mistake, it was someone else.

Speaking of that thread, you should go back and read it.

It's good for a laugh. It really shows how crazy things can get in the off-season.

I remember making some bold claims about Robbo when we signed him.

It was more generating positive vibes and supporting the side. If the Broncos were going to make waves in 2016, it was going to be Roberts speed that would make the difference.

While the board was almost unanimous supportive of his signing, I agreed with a few criticms [MENTION=8468]Cult3[/MENTION] had of him.

It's one thing to be a star in a mediocre side, another to do it in a top side.

I still think there's time, but I concede up to this stage he's been a bit of a flop.

You're trying to make your point based on Thurston's failure to achieve something once, that he has otherwise done many, many times.
You're brushing aside Hunt's glaring deficiencies by emphasising what he does well, ignoring the fact that one of, if not the most important job of an halfback, is doing what his weakness is.

Moving the forward pack around for field position is not so much the halfback's as the hooker's job, and Macca has been (justifiably) crucified for failing to do it here quite a few times, without people getting up in arms about it... at least not like Hunt.

It's not when we're going well or against weaker adversaries that Hunt's weakness comes to the fore, but when we need to apply pressure against a tough opponent, earning repeat sets, making them work hard to come out of their ingoal by kicking into the corners, varying our 5th tackle options to keep them guessing and get some holes opened in their defense, etc...
That is the job of a halfback, and as you said... his weakness. That wouldn't be so much of a problem if we had someone else in the team capable of doing is, but we don't.

The point I'm making is that unless your forwards are doing their job, the best in the world is facing an uphill battle to apply pressure.

So to try and summarise this thread. Both Hunt and Taylor are pretty good players but they have polar opposite strengths. The general consensus is that at the moment Hunt is the better player (and certainly statistics support this) but it seems likely that in the future Taylor will be the better player.

The spanner in the works is that some people perceive Hunts strengths to be in areas where the Broncos are already well served while Taylors are in an area where we are weak. Theoretically this is a valid point but in the real world it's irrelevant. Taylor isn't off contract until the end of next year.

A year ago Wayne decided that in the short term at least Hunt would contribute more to the team so he sacked Taylor. The genius of Wayne is that he did it in a way that left Taylor and all rugby league players thinking he had done him a favour. Not only did he enhance the Broncos reputation as a club that has the players best interest at heart to all the other talented young players out there but he parted company with Taylor on the best possible terms and left the door open for him to come back.

The point is though that he can't come back until 2018 at the earliest. It would be silly to even open discussions with him now because it will only undermine Hunt. For now they can only support Hunt and encourage him to develop and see what happens. At some point the Titans will wave a contract extension under Taylors nose and his manager will come to the Broncos to gauge their interest.

At that point the Broncos will have to assess both players form and put a value on their skill sets. The Titans signing Hayne might mean they can't outbid us for Taylor. Or it's possible Hunt, Milford and Macca might figure out how to execute a kicking game and last tackle options and make signing Taylor unnecessary. Either way the club seems to be in a good position to benefit whichever one of the two turns out to be the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
The point I'm making is that unless your forwards are doing their job, the best in the world is facing an uphill battle to apply pressure.
Yes, and even then, he still often manages to. Hunt generally doesn't, whether the forward pack is doing its job or not...

That's the funny part though, because both Hunt's biggest flaw as well as his greatest quality come to the fore when the forwards do their job, and we're well into attacking position. It's either his running game works, and he tears the opposition to shreds, or if they do defend him well, then he will rarely come up with a good alternative 5th tackle option.

You ignored my last paragraph, is that because you agree with it?

So to try and summarise this thread. Both Hunt and Taylor are pretty good players but they have polar opposite strengths. The general consensus is that at the moment Hunt is the better player (and certainly statistics support this) but it seems likely that in the future Taylor will be the better player.

The spanner in the works is that some people perceive Hunts strengths to be in areas where the Broncos are already well served while Taylors are in an area where we are weak. Theoretically this is a valid point but in the real world it's irrelevant. Taylor isn't off contract until the end of next year.

A year ago Wayne decided that in the short term at least Hunt would contribute more to the team so he sacked Taylor. The genius of Wayne is that he did it in a way that left Taylor and all rugby league players thinking he had done him a favour. Not only did he enhance the Broncos reputation as a club that has the players best interest at heart to all the other talented young players out there but he parted company with Taylor on the best possible terms and left the door open for him to come back.

The point is though that he can't come back until 2018 at the earliest. It would be silly to even open discussions with him now because it will only undermine Hunt. For now they can only support Hunt and encourage him to develop and see what happens. At some point the Titans will wave a contract extension under Taylors nose and his manager will come to the Broncos to gauge their interest.

At that point the Broncos will have to assess both players form and put a value on their skill sets. The Titans signing Hayne might mean they can't outbid us for Taylor. Or it's possible Hunt, Milford and Macca might figure out how to execute a kicking game and last tackle options and make signing Taylor unnecessary. Either way the club seems to be in a good position to benefit whichever one of the two turns out to be the best.
Well put, and I hope that's what eventuates.

P.S. Sorry to edit your original post, but it was a bit of a wall of text, and it deserves the attention.

Well put, and I hope that's what eventuates.

P.S. Sorry to edit your original post, but it was a bit of a wall of text, and it deserves the attention.
No worries. I really struggle writing on a phone. I'm still pretty much a pen and paper kind of person.

Hunt needs to watch this and practice, practice, practice.

That's what lets Hunt down, it's his technique and his body stance IMO. He can kick the ball.. He probably would have nailed one against the Cowboys last year from 40 out if it doesn't touch a Cowboys hand, but he fails in every other department.

Or perhaps he just can't control his emotions like Cronk says you should do.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the games I've seen, Hunt kicks better when the Broncos share the kicking with Milford and Macca.

Hunt needs to vary his kicks and at times his kick section lets him down imo.

As for field goals he definitely needs to practice them, I don't know why but he always seems to kick them at an angle rather than from straight in front. It's a much harder to get the angle right with the opposition running towards you.

I think Hunts the best option for the Broncos, he always gives his all. While he's been targeted more this year, his kicking game has improved

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Browny
  • sooticus
  • heartly87
  • whykickamoocow
  • Thelmus
  • lynx000
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.