NEWS Ben Ikin appointed Head of Football

In other Football Department changes, Dave Ballard will step into the Head Of Performance role in an interim capacity until the end of the season.

Alex Corvo, who has been overseeing athletic performance in the club’s Academy programs, will step across into the NRL program to provide further support.

CORVOOOOOO

While I don't particularly like him as a former player or a commentator, I wish Ikin all the best with cleaning up this mess, cause he's sure as hell gonna need it.

I really don’t know much about Ikin’s role as an independent director so maybe someone more in the know can help me out.

He’s been in that role since 2017 and I’ve not seen anything to suggest Queensland Rugby League has improved. There’s an unprecedented lack of Queensland players having successful NRL careers in that period of time, and Paul Green has since been selected as origin coach - leading QLD to a historic series loss.

I don’t know what his role is at the QRL exactly but I don’t see anything to be excited by coming out of that organisation.

Just in the last twelve months- They had a profit for the year, didn't sack anyone during Covid, BHP comp started, female participation increasing every year, won both men and women's Origin, got 224 comps back up and running in Qld and 56,000 juniors playing last season- took on the cost of insurance so clubs could play some football last year and not have to worry about money.

I am of the opinion that if you trust DD and think his appointment as CEO was a good move, then you should probably trust he knows what he is doing when hiring blokes.
I think if Ikin wasn't qualified or capable of the job, Dave would not have signed him up.

I am of the opinion that if you trust DD and think his appointment as CEO was a good move, then you should probably trust he knows what he is doing when hiring blokes.
I think if Ikin wasn't qualified or capable of the job, Dave would not have signed him up.

Dave D has never hired a football manager though? Frank Ponissi pre-dated him as FM at the Storm?

Just in the last twelve months- They had a profit for the year, didn't sack anyone during Covid, BHP comp started, female participation increasing every year, won both men and women's Origin, got 224 comps back up and running in Qld and 56,000 juniors playing last season- took on the cost of insurance so clubs could play some football last year and not have to worry about money.
Was there when they made a mess of the Mulitalo situation presumabley.

I don't think you can put that on the QRL, this is something the NRL or whatever pseudo-international body they effectively run should handle. If the QRL or NSWRL put forward a player that is borderline on criteria, it is up to the ruling body to sort it out, not the states. This should have been handled already, not on game day (and in fact it still hasn't been). If he was permitted to play 18s and 20s, you would think that the powers that be have approved it.

I can't see how a board member can have any say on that, it's clearly stuffed up somewhere but your board isn't sitting there checking the status of each NRL player.

They're running the game in Queensland not asking to see Sharks' contracts. When Qld picked him for Under 18's it should have been checked then and found by the NRL.

I can't see how a board member can have any say on that, it's clearly stuffed up somewhere but your board isn't sitting there checking the status of each NRL player.

They're running the game in Queensland not asking to see Sharks' contracts. When Qld picked him for Under 18's it should have been checked then and found by the NRL.
Right, but you can't just credit all the good things and flat out ignore the bad things.

I highly doubt his is Ikin's fault specifcially, but I also highly doubt all the good things are exclusively his fault either.

Right, but you can't just credit all the good things and flat out ignore the bad things.

I highly doubt his is Ikin's fault specifcially, but I also highly doubt all the good things are exclusively his fault either.

Those things I listed are all the board's doing, I don't think Origin eligibility is anything to do with the board.

Yeah cause you need to point that finger of yours at someone 🙄

Giphy

They took on the cost of insurance and still saw a profit? That’s pretty great.

Much of the rest is hard to comment on without more context. Many administrations over saw profit during Covid, the issue was it was a significantly decreased profit. Wayne pulled off the upset of the millennium - almost despite the current state of QLD rugby league depth. All comps had to start back up eventually - how did they compare to NSW comps or other sporting comps for example? Is female participation increasing country wide or is QRL doing something in particular that’s causing this?

Im not trying to downplay things at all, just wanting more info. I hope Ben’s a machine.

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • kman
  • Wild Horse
  • achievedrap
  • Rookie Alan
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • broncs30
  • Morkel
  • bb_gun
  • Spoon
  • sooticus
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.