NEWS Bennett: Broncos players will decide if they follow me to Souths

Because of what’s been said, obviously. He wanted to stay at the club for one more season, then he probably would have retired and not taken our players anywhere. Seibold likes to learn apparently, so why wouldn’t he accept a one year assistant job to learn from the greatest? We didn’t need to be in a rush to sack Wayne. He’s still one of the best coaches in the game and he put this team together. He deserved the right to see what they could do as adults. He made the season about him to take the attention away from the group of 18 year olds debuting and then the media ran with it and our idiot board didn’t help at all. You’ll remember that Bennett barely said anything to the media like usual

Let me get this straight.

HE wanted to stay for one more year, yet he clearly said on multiple occasions that HE wanted to continue coaching.
HE never once said that he’d like another year before retiring.

HEs still one of the best coaches in the comp, I agree, but so is Seibold and he’s not about to be wheeled out in a wheelchair.

HE deserved to stay? I disagree, you don’t deserve anything. He gets paid over a million dollars a year to coach the best club in the competition. It’s his job to mentor and guide all of our players to be better. He’s one of the best man mentors in the game. But the circus this year was all about Wayne. It had nothing to do with deflecting away from the team. Wayne wanted a new contract, Do you think he’d stay on if we asked him to take a 50% pay cut for 2020/21?

Wayne is a master media manipulator, his actions speak louder than words. As I said he’s been great for the club, but it’s time we move on.

Seibold has learnt from some of the best, and if I’m not mistaken took a burnt out team that finished 12th and 12th in 16/17 and that many predicted to finish outside the eight to 3rd. I’d say he’s on the right track.

Let me get this straight.

HE wanted to stay for one more year, yet he clearly said on multiple occasions that HE wanted to continue coaching.
HE never once said that he’d like another year before retiring.

HEs still one of the best coaches in the comp, I agree, but so is Seibold and he’s not about to be wheeled out in a wheelchair.

HE deserved to stay? I disagree, you don’t deserve anything. He gets paid over a million dollars a year to coach the best club in the competition. It’s his job to mentor and guide all of our players to be better. He’s one of the best man mentors in the game. But the circus this year was all about Wayne. It had nothing to do with deflecting away from the team. Wayne wanted a new contract, Do you think he’d stay on if we asked him to take a 50% pay cut for 2020/21?

Wayne is a master media manipulator, his actions speak louder than words. As I said he’s been great for the club, but it’s time we move on.

Seibold has learnt from some of the best, and if I’m not mistaken took a burnt out team that finished 12th and 12th in 16/17 and that many predicted to finish outside the eight to 3rd. I’d say he’s on the right track.

Wayne's 2019 stance is all about money. He isn't resigning so Broncos will have to pay him out. Only way it resolves is if South's and Broncos agree to settle. Like a player moving clubs Bennett will go and we top up the salary. Then we pay Seibold. We may end up paying the same total for both salaries as if Bennett stayed. Immediate swap had to happen. Bennett has already won the battle. If he stays in 2019 he wins the war.

This is probably something I never thought I would say, but Bennett has to go now. He has already started with the “I won’t be making anyone follow me but if the want to what can I do?” *wink* *wink* bullshit and it will just get worse.

As much as I love Bennett and I am not interested in a year of him setting up his future years at Souths and poisoning the well here.

Rip it off like a band aid and be done with it.

This is probably something I never thought I would say, but Bennett has to go now. He has already started with the “I won’t be making anyone follow me but if the want to what can I do?” *wink* *wink* bullshit and it will just get worse.

As much as I love Bennett and I am not interested in a year of him setting up his future years at Souths and poisoning the well here.

Making comments like this is adding weight to the wanting to be sacked comments.

This could have been dealt with so much better. Bennett is in a position of power where if he wanted to he could screw us, so why wasn’t there an effort to keep him happy? Paul White and the board have a lot to answer for
I thought wayne loved the broncos... why would he want to screw us.

Ideally the club waits for Oates, Lodge, and TPJ to re-sign due to Bennett staying on next year and then immediately flicks Bennett to Souths.

Ideally the club waits for Oates, Lodge, and TPJ to re-sign due to Bennett staying on next year and then immediately flicks Bennett to Souths.
They're not following Bennett. The whole situation is so overblown.

It's not your million to spend though. The Broncos didn't become a rich club by paying out massive contracts.
Broncos Limited has $10m sitting in the bank according to its H1 18 update. Better to spend the $1m as an insurance policy against losing players and having an underperforming business in the years to come than to hang onto it.

WB needs to go now. He’s saying all the right things because he wants a pay out, he is trying to put this all back on the club, and get the players behind him rather then them supporting the club they play for and at the end of the day pay them to do what they love.
The circus we saw this year is enough evidence to display that he cannot stick around in 2019.
I’ll back the board with their decision, and I’m more then positive that White wont want this dragging on for another 12 months.
Wayne can take TPJ in 2019 for mine, if it means we get our man leading us into the future from the 2019 season.
Oates will stay in Brisbane, along with lodge - I have no doubt
Let’s focus on the future a little, and get this squad ready for a premiership window

Get Oates and TPJ's signatures on a contract and show Wayne the door. He used to be one of my favourites, and I was previously in favour of keeping him until he wanted to call it quits on his terms, but he's slowly losing respect. For a man who prided himself on cutting a player's career short if he thought it was time it's amazing that he hasn't even considered that he might be past it, the hubris he's been displaying is sickening.

This is obviously a veiled threat, you're not as smart as you think you are, Wayne.

EDIT: In my opinion Wayne has looked at the age of the Souths big name players and decided that they have a season or two window to win the comp.

Last edited:
In my opinion Wayne has looked at the age of the Souths big name players and decided that they have a season or two window to win the comp.

That's more or less what was said by someone in the media the other day (Garry?), he said that Souths has a 2-3 year premiership window right now, the Broncos premiership window probably won't open for 2-3 years (Once guys like Milford, Lodge, TPJ, Su'A, Fifita, etc hit their prime years), so it makes more sense for Wayne to go to Souths, if his only prerogative is to win 1 more premiership.

That's 100% what I said the second the deal was announced for Bennett, we can't let him stay for the next 12 months and plant seeds. Who knows how many extra players or staff he may convince (Consciously or not, it's irrelevant) to follow him south. We need him gone by pre-season, ideally within the next week or two.

WB is a pretty savvy operator. You can say he didn't raid many of his previous clubs when he took a new path, but what talent was available at the time?

Players he was very fond of. And even the players that weren't off-contract, he could have easily talked them into leaving.

But he didn't talk them into leaving with him. He didn't sabotage the clubs. Some people are panicking a bit too much.

Young players, in particular our young players, in particular TPJ need to learn that the Broncos were around on this planet a long time before they were born.

They are not bigger and will never be bigger then the Club.

The Club will still be here long after they retire.

Long after they have gone.

We offer TPJ a three year contract and if we won't sign that then we won't sign him.

Last edited:
Players he was very fond of. And even the players that weren't off-contract, he could have easily talked them into leaving.

But he didn't talk them into leaving with him. He didn't sabotage the clubs. Some people are panicking a bit too much.

He's a wily old fox, and as much as I love and respect him, I wouldn't trust him now that he has another club's interests at heart.

Bennett is just trying to make people nervous, but at the same time what he is saying is absolutley right. So many of our players are here because of Wayne. Haas, Oates, TPJ, Lodge and Roberts just off the top of my head are players who have come out and said they are here or will stay here because of Bennett. The whole group are incredibly loyal to the bloke.

The only issue with him taking a few to Souths is they probably cant afford them, unless they move some players on to create space. IIRC they have quite a few off contract at the end of 2019

Tevita Pangai Jnr to South Sydney a question of when, not if
October 26, 2018 10:57am
Source: FOX SPORTS
Tevita Pangai could join Wayne Bennett at South Sydney in 2020.
WAYNE Bennett’s stunning deal to coach South Sydney from 2020 could have repercussions for Brisbane’s playing roster.
Rising NRL star Tevita Pangai Jnr is believed to have agreed to a one-year deal with the Broncos for 2019 and is hotly tipped to follow Bennett to Redfern.
Pangai Jnr has a close bond with Bennett that originates from his time in Newcastle when the star forward was a standout in the lower grades.
From there he played three years with the Raiders’ under-20s team before relocating to Brisbane to link up with Bennett.
Speaking on Fox Sports News, The Australian journalist Brent Read said he would be stunned if Pangai Jnr wasn’t at the Rabbitohs in 2020.
Earlier this season Bennett spoke of his special relationship with the 22-year-old Tonga representative, saying the reason he is at the Broncos is because of him.
“He came here because of me and that’s why he’s here at this club, for no other reason,” Bennett said.
“I am just pleased he is playing the football he is. We’ve got a pretty special relationship.
“I always knew what he could do and we just had to give him the time to be able to do that.”
Just last week Pangai Jnr confirmed to The Courier Mail that he was only interested in signing a one-year deal with the Broncos — not because he is waiting to see where Bennett goes, but to test his value on the market with another season under his belt.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jazza
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Turky Murky
  • Mustafur
  • mystico
  • Financeguy
  • HarryAllan7
  • HVbronco
  • lynx000
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.