NEWS Bennett: Broncos players will decide if they follow me to Souths

Agree that I think TPJ is gone, we should try and include him in the 2019 swap with Bennett and get Cam Murray back. Both players are only signed for 2019 at their respective clubs, so logistically it'd be plausible.

Last edited:
Tevita Pangai Jnr to South Sydney a question of when, not if
October 26, 2018 10:57am
Source: FOX SPORTS
Tevita Pangai could join Wayne Bennett at South Sydney in 2020.
WAYNE Bennett’s stunning deal to coach South Sydney from 2020 could have repercussions for Brisbane’s playing roster.
Rising NRL star Tevita Pangai Jnr is believed to have agreed to a one-year deal with the Broncos for 2019 and is hotly tipped to follow Bennett to Redfern.
Pangai Jnr has a close bond with Bennett that originates from his time in Newcastle when the star forward was a standout in the lower grades.
From there he played three years with the Raiders’ under-20s team before relocating to Brisbane to link up with Bennett.
Speaking on Fox Sports News, The Australian journalist Brent Read said he would be stunned if Pangai Jnr wasn’t at the Rabbitohs in 2020.
Earlier this season Bennett spoke of his special relationship with the 22-year-old Tonga representative, saying the reason he is at the Broncos is because of him.
“He came here because of me and that’s why he’s here at this club, for no other reason,” Bennett said.
“I am just pleased he is playing the football he is. We’ve got a pretty special relationship.
“I always knew what he could do and we just had to give him the time to be able to do that.”
Just last week Pangai Jnr confirmed to The Courier Mail that he was only interested in signing a one-year deal with the Broncos — not because he is waiting to see where Bennett goes, but to test his value on the market with another season under his belt.
They had such a special relationship that he left the knights at a crucial time in his career to join the raiders. Ok ,Brent what ever you reckon.

I'd be staggered if the swap isnt done in the next few weeks.
Its been obvious since we didnt get Bellamy that it would probably wnd up this way.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think he’s destroyed his long standing reverence as a QLD and Broncos fan. As a bronco fan and someone who once idolised Bennett I think he will white ant the broncos in 2019, would prefer he wasn’t coach next year.

He's a wily old fox, and as much as I love and respect him, I wouldn't trust him now that he has another club's interests at heart.

And yet the bloke has been trying to lock down our best talent and secure our future despite knowing for quite some time that he won't be coach of the Broncos in 2020 and has known for some time that he wants to keep coaching beyond 2019.

He was professional in the past and I don't see any reason why he won't be now.. Why not just tell Oates, TPJ and Lodge not to re-sign?

Players he was very fond of. And even the players that weren't off-contract, he could have easily talked them into leaving.

But he didn't talk them into leaving with him. He didn't sabotage the clubs. Some people are panicking a bit too much.
This is just selective memory. Those of us without rose-coloured glasses will never forget our premiership window for 2009 and beyond slamming closed when Bennett exerted his serpentine influence over Nick Emmett to rip him from our grasp.

Next Tuesday Seibold will announced.

Next Wednesday or Thursday they will be released mutually early.

Next Friday TPJ will sign with Souths and Carrigan will announce a new three year deal with Brisbane.

Wayne Bennett did not make Tevita Pangai Junior promise to South Sydney, says CEO

Of course he didn't.

Written By SPORTING NEWS
@sportingnewsau
The promise he could deliver Tevita Pangai Junior and any other of his disciples to South Sydney was not part of the deal to bring Wayne Bennett to Redfern, insists Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson.
That’s despite the fact the hulking Broncos back-rower just happened to tell The Courier Mail he will sign a 12-month deal with Brisbane less than 24 hours before Bennett was confirmed as the Bunnies’ coach for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
It is widely accepted the in-demand Pangai Junior will follow Bennett to the Rabbitohs, with one NRL insider declaring the future move ‘a given’.
But Richardson is adamant neither Pangai Junior, or any other Brisbane players, were spoken about during negotiations with Bennett.
“We haven’t discussed one player except Sam Burgess and Greg (Inglis),” Richardson told Channel 9 .
Richardson also played down strong speculation Bennett will coach the Bunnies in 2019 in a swap deal with current Rabbitohs boss Anthony Seibold , who is expected to sign a multi-year deal with Brisbane from 2020 next Tuesday.
“Seibs has got a contract in place and I haven’t fallen out with Seibs, and Seibs hasn’t fallen out with me – it’s just unfortunate the way it’s happened,” he said.
“We can work together quite easily in ’19, we’ll just wait to see how it all unfolds.”
Pressed on whether Bennett beginning his tenure in 2019 would be the Rabbitohs’ preferred scenario, Richardson replied: “Not necessarily, to be fair Anthony Seibold’s done a great job ad he’s got a great rapport with me and the players.”
The veteran administrator admits he was surprised by Seibold’s decision to turn down a contract extension with the Bunnies and revealed he only started negotiations with Bennett just over a week ago.
“Truthfully, when I had the phone call in Fiji … seven or eight days ago,” he said of the timing of the club’s bold move to sign the 68-year-old super coach.
“… The bottom line is it was really a conversation from a mutual friend of ours.”

The one important detail they are overlooking and what everyone else in the media is overlooking is the fact that TPJ has said all along he only wanted a 12 month deal and this was before all the shit with Bennett started.

But it makes for a better story to make it sound like he wanted a 12 month deal so he can follow Bennett so they twist it a bit to suit their own opinions.

There's literally almost zero need for us to worry.
  • Souffs have little cap space, they could squeeze TJP but not likely. Possibly TJP in 20 to replace JS.
  • Bennet only has 2-3 years until retirement - this is no guarantee that a player following him will benefit longer than this.
  • The Souffs squad is good, but the Broncos squad has far better potential - escpecially considering the age of the group.
  • As much as players might love Bennet - stability via a coach is something huge to their career. Wasting 2-3 years jumping clubs soaks up a lot of career time, its nearly not worth it for a modern player unless they are a walking into mega dollars, Seibold brings that stability.
  • IF such drama does exist that players want to follow Bennet, let them go. If we fight for that, we pay overs, and we've only purchased their mindset for a short term until a better offer comes along.

Even as a huge Wayne fan over the years, is it just me or is it hard to see Wayne better what Seibold done with Souths this year, considering his age and how this will most likely be his last deal before he pulls the pin?

The media can twist it any way they want but the simple facts are this... they really wanted to keep Seibold long term and only went after Wayne when it was clear Seibold saw an opportunity at Brisbane. They sure as shit didn’t brush Seibold for Wayne because they though Wayne was an upgrade.

Souths have a decent side but like any team, one injury to one of their main players could see them struggle and I wonder if Wayne misses the finals in his first year at Souths whether the knives will be out straight away?

At the end of the day for all he achieved and even though we had some absolute magical moments, 2018 at the end of the day was a disaster. Defensively we were atrocious for much of the season and Wayne was the man looking after our defense whilst JD was looking after the attack. We were also carrying many a passenger for large periods of the season and that is on Wayne’s head. Darius really should have been put back to QCup to rediscover some confidence when he his hamstring was clearly on his mind. Thaiday should never have been guaranteed a position all season and that to me is sentiment taking over. Also felt Kahu should have been dropped either earlier or for a larger period as we had better options. Our last 3 games of the regular season papered over huge cracks which have been discussed regularly on here. Would love to see him get a respectful send off but wouldn’t worry me if they coach swap happened pre season because I think it would be better for our club to get the transition started as of now.

Even as a huge Wayne fan over the years, is it just me or is it hard to see Wayne better what Seibold done with Souths this year, considering his age and how this will most likely be his last deal before he pulls the pin?

The media can twist it any way they want but the simple facts are this... they really wanted to keep Seibold long term and only went after Wayne when it was clear Seibold saw an opportunity at Brisbane. They sure as shit didn’t brush Seibold for Wayne because they though Wayne was an upgrade.

Souths have a decent side but like any team, one injury to one of their main players could see them struggle and I wonder if Wayne misses the finals in his first year at Souths whether the knives will be out straight away?

At the end of the day for all he achieved and even though we had some absolute magical moments, 2018 at the end of the day was a disaster. Defensively we were atrocious for much of the season and Wayne was the man looking after our defense whilst JD was looking after the attack. We were also carrying many a passenger for large periods of the season and that is on Wayne’s head. Darius really should have been put back to QCup to rediscover some confidence when he his hamstring was clearly on his mind. Thaiday should never have been guaranteed a position all season and that to me is sentiment taking over. Also felt Kahu should have been dropped either earlier or for a larger period as we had better options. Our last 3 games of the regular season papered over huge cracks which have been discussed regularly on here. Would love to see him get a respectful send off but wouldn’t worry me if they coach swap happened pre season because I think it would be better for our club to get the transition started as of now.
Well said I totally agree with everyone of your points.

Wayne's leaving because the Broncos don't want him after 2019. Wayne wanted to finish his career in Brisbane. Those are the facts. Some don't like it that Wayne's leaving, most are in favor of change, but I seriously just hope we don't go backwards once Wayne is gone. We cannot handle another Henjak and Griffin type era.

Wayne's leaving because the Broncos don't want him after 2019. Wayne wanted to finish his career in Brisbane. Those are the facts. Some don't like it that Wayne's leaving, most are in favor of change, but I seriously just hope we don't go backwards once Wayne is gone. We cannot handle another Henjak and Griffin type era.
It all depends on the sort of respect that Seibold demands from his players, the sort of respect that Hook and Henjak were unable to obtain hence a playing group who were not 100% committed. Personally, I don't think Seibold is anything special but he is welcome to prove me wrong. He has a big job in a city that will be demanding results ASAP and he is really laying his ass on the line here. Let's hope he can do the job required but I have very grave doubts about his ability. Only time will tell.

It all depends on the sort of respect that Seibold demands from his players, the sort of respect that Hook and Henjak were unable to obtain hence a playing group who were not 100% committed. Personally, I don't think Seibold is anything special but he is welcome to prove me wrong. He has a big job in a city that will be demanding results ASAP and he is really laying his ass on the line here. Let's hope he can do the job required but I have very grave doubts about his ability. Only time will tell.
Not looking for an argument; but given the circumstances where the board made it clear Bennett would not be coach post 2019, and seeing you’re not advocating Seibold, who would you prefer?

Personally, I like the fact the board has shown some balls and started looking to the future, because let’s be honest, Bennett is nearing the end of his coaching career.

Is Seibold the man? Not sure. But I have to put my trust in the board and get behind him. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Not looking for an argument; but given the circumstances where the board made it clear Bennett would not be coach post 2019, and seeing you’re not advocating Seibold, who would you prefer?

Personally, I like the fact the board has shown some balls and started looking to the future, because let’s be honest, Bennett is nearing the end of his coaching career.

Is Seibold the man? Not sure. But I have to put my trust in the board and get behind him. Fingers crossed!
I was banking on Bennett coaching forever but obviously that was never going to happen. I was hoping Kevie would get the nod. He has Bronco blood flowing through his veins and he would have done a good job. His Origin and ESL records are irrelevant when it comes to his qualifications. He is a winner and winners produce other winners. He may still get his chance if Seibold stinks it up.

I was banking on Bennett coaching forever but obviously that was never going to happen. I was hoping Kevie would get the nod. He has Bronco blood flowing through his veins and he would have done a good job. His Origin and ESL records are irrelevant when it comes to his qualifications. He is a winner and winners produce other winners. He may still get his chance if Seibold stinks it up.

I'm sorry, all his coaching records are irrelevant? You are aware he would be Head Coach right? or did you think he was applying to play for us again?

This is bizarre.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.