Bennett not to return - Signs with Knights

Twiztid said:
I'm gutted. I guess I will never see a Souths GF win for another 40 years. I am now interested to see who replaces Lang at Souths.

Michael Maguire. icon_thumbs_u

Kaz said:
Twiztid said:
I'm gutted. I guess I will never see a Souths GF win for another 40 years. I am now interested to see who replaces Lang at Souths.

I always worry about ESL coaches but who knows.

Stone and Henjak... [icon_shady

Twiztid said:
Kaz said:
Twiztid said:

I always worry about ESL coaches but who knows.

Stone and Henjak... [icon_shady

Maguire has a good pedigree though. He did understudy to Craig Bellamy at Storm, so he does know a thing or two, and has huge raps from Bellamy and Bennett.

Matt Elliott will probably be looking for work too...

Maybe Rusty can entice Phil Gould out of retirement with the promise of a new TV show and movie series?

OXY-351 said:
Just for future arguments, can we go through and list the current rep players in the knights team?
some of their players achievements:

Kurt Gidley: NSW rep and captain, Australian Rep, Bennett chose him personally for the all-stars team.
Adam MacDougall: NSW rep, Australian Rep. Hasnt been there for a while, but at his peak was one of the premier backs in the game.
Jarrod Mullen: NSW rep, NSW Country Rep, Australian Schoolboys, fighting for a NSW jersey again this year.
James McManus: NSW rep, NSW Country Rep.
Cory Paterson: Indigenous All-stars. probable rep player in the making.
Zeb Taia: NZ rep.
Matt Hilder: Knights player of the year 2010.
Chris Houston: 18th man for State of Origin 2009 (so hes already has his hat in the ring for rep duties)
Wes Naiqama: Fiji rep.
Junior Sa'u: NZ rep.
Akuila Uate: NRL All-Stars, Dally M Winger of the year 2010, will most likely play origin this year if not next (without bennetts help).
Evarn Tuimavave: NZ rep.
Antonio Kaufusi: Australian rep, QLD origin rep.
Neville Costigan: QLD Origin rep (and dont say thats thanks to bennett, it was when he WASNT being coached by Bennett that he improved his game)
Beau Henry: 2009 U20s player of the year

theyve got a good mix of good young players coming through that are looking the goods before Bennett has any input on their careers at all, and some good experienced players.

Anonymous person said:
Matt Hilder: Knights player of the year 2010.
Chris Houston: 18th man for State of Origin 2009 (so hes already has his hat in the ring for rep duties)

You're having a lend if you want to include them if/when the Knights win a premiership and say they were "already" a star team.

Taia and Tuimavave only have ONE NZ appearance each. Fiji? LOLZ. 18th man for Origin? LOLZ. Player of the year at the club? LOLZ. U20s player of the year? LOLZ. Indigenous all stars? LOLZ

Coxy said:
Anonymous person said:
Matt Hilder: Knights player of the year 2010.Chris Houston: 18th man for State of Origin 2009 (so hes already has his hat in the ring for rep duties)

You're having a lend if you want to include them if/when the Knights win a premiership and say they were "already" a star team.

Taia and Tuimavave only have ONE NZ appearance each. Fiji? LOLZ. 18th man for Origin? LOLZ. Player of the year at the club? LOLZ. U20s player of the year? LOLZ. Indigenous all stars? LOLZ
This is where I lolled loudest.

Because the Knights player of the year plays for the KNights

[icon_lol1.

i was merely pointing out that they have a fair few decent players there, so next year when theyve got 5-6 rep players people cant just say it was all because of bennett.

and im not saying theyve got a great team or anything - even with Bennett there i dont think theyre a hope in hell over the next few years unless they drop some of their older players and buy some good players. snowden was a step in the right direction, but now it looks like that wont be happening because of Bennett going there. but having bennett will help them with recruitment.

and look, you might want to pass off playing 1 test for NZ as nothing and not worth mentioning, but hey - its one more than youll ever play.

players like zeb taia/patterson/houston/etc are going to be good with or without bennett. if they win a premiership WITH THIS ROSTER under bennett then kudos to WB. they wont though. with St Georges roster BEFORE bennett got there it was a matter of WHEN they'll pull their $hit together and win a premiership, not IF. Newcastle? good luck there WB. at least youll have your $8mil to comfort you after this failure.

Coxy said:
Bear in mind that Bennett operates effectively as a company in his own right. He gets that salary, and he distributes it to his assistant coaches, conditioners etc. So he doesn't get all of it.

Is that right ? So all of the assistants et al all operate under that Bennett wage ?

By the time they all get their cut of the $2million / season that'd be a pretty fair chunk gone ?!

Bull_Shark said:
Coxy said:
Bear in mind that Bennett operates effectively as a company in his own right. He gets that salary, and he distributes it to his assistant coaches, conditioners etc. So he doesn't get all of it.

Is that right ? So all of the assistants et al all operate under that Bennett wage ?

By the time they all get their cut of the $2million / season that'd be a pretty fair chunk gone ?!

That's my understanding, yes.

Fair few decent players? Yet in that list you have the likes of Mullen. H'e useless, and only selected in the NSW squad because he's the top of the useless group.

Can someone pool room that post of AP's so we can trot it back out when Bennett wins a premiership at Newcastle. It's amusing how much AP's current rating of Gidley conflicts with all his previous.

I personally think Newcastle are the option more likely to win a premiership with Wayne.

A multitude of underpaid players locked into shorter term deals from the Brian Smith days will make this list easy to adjust. If Wayne can take Darius with him they'll have a cracking spine of Boyd, Gidley, Mullen and De Gois. I don't rate their forward pack at all - there are plenty better. Whilst I'd regard most of their outside backs (Uate aside) as purely serviceable.

WB and of late Bellamy, have shown that the remaining positions can be filled with body shapes, or types. IMO this would be the easier option for Bennett. By no means am i suggesting this would be a walk in the park, a lesser coach would struggle. But for a coach such as WB who wouldn't need to rely on the firepower players at Souths could provide, I think he'll be more confident in his brand of footy being played out on the field whilst he has that 1,6,7,9 at his disposal.

4 years is a long time in Newcastle, I guess he will need the 4 years to turn the club around.

I heard that it was the length of the contract that sealed it for Bennett, Broncos weren't going to offer him that long a contract.

[icon_lol1. AP one of your finest posts. Under your logic Smith was hardly that great a coach last year.

His tropps may be down a bit... Apparently Zeb Tai ( sp ) may be finished for good - his neck injury from last night is the same one that finished Joey Johns.
DeGois has torn a muscle off the bone last night as well and Ben Rogers has seriously serious shoulder troubles that requires a major reconstruction.

m1c said:
Can someone pool room that post of AP's so we can trot it back out when Bennett wins a premiership at Newcastle. It's amusing how much AP's current rating of Gidley conflicts with all his previous.
Put it there so I can quote it when Newcastle don't win a premiership with Bennett there. But of course that won't be his fault, will it? When his team wins he gets the credit, when they lose he gets none of the blame.

And what do you mean my previous rating of gidley conflicts with that one? If you take a look at my post I didn't say ANYTHING about how good or bad I think he is lol. He is the nsw captain, he has played for aus, and Bennett got to choose 2 players for the all stars team, and gidley was one of them. All fact, no opinion whatsoever lol.

IMO: If WB wanted to prove himself, he should have signed with Souths.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • simplythebest
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Behold
  • broncoscope
  • Tim K
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • broncotville
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.