BHQ Countdown: Most Loved/Least Liked Players Reveal thread

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Macca was good at some point but by the end it was a bit sour as he was stinking up the place.

Kinda like Maccas if you leave it without eating it.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I wasnt the only one who voted for macca was I?
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I meant to do this after the first ten, but fifteen is just as round a number I say...

LUVHĀT
50Israel FolauBrett Seymour
49Tyson GambleJames Segeyaro
48Alex GlennIsrael Folau
47Jake TurpinJordan Kahu
46Jordan RikiCorey Parker
45Payne HaasBrent Tate
44Denan KempJosh McGuire
43Kerrod WaltersAndrew Gee
42James RobertsGerard Beale
41Trevor GillmeisterDale Copley
40Greg EdenBen Hannant
39Paul HauffCraig Grauf
38Kotoni StaggsAaron Whitchurch
37Ian LaceyMitchell Dodds
36Andrew McCoullughKotoni Staggs

So far we've only had two players that featured on both sides, Israel Folau and Kotoni Staggs, and both were slightly more loathed than loved.

If I was a betting man, I'd say we'll see another handful of players already on the loved list feature higher on the loathed list - namely Glenn, Turpin, Riki (maybe?), Haas, and McCullough. I think at least two from the loathed list end up higher on the loved list - Tate and Parker.

Will we see any more Hauff-Grauf style rhyming couplets? Ben Te'o and John Te Reo maybe? And no, the Walkers, Walters, Berrigans, and Plowmen don't count...

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks mate.
I meant to do this after the first ten, but fifteen is just as round a number I say...

LUVHĀT
50Israel FolauBrett Seymour
49Tyson GambleJames Segeyaro
48Alex GlennIsrael Folau
47Jake TurpinJordan Kahu
46Jordan RikiCorey Parker
45Payne HaasBrent Tate
44Denan KempJosh McGuire
43Kerrod WaltersAndrew Gee
42James RobertsGerard Beale
41Trevor GillmeisterDale Copley
40Greg EdenBen Hannant
39Paul HauffCraig Grauf
38Kotoni StaggsAaron Whitchurch
37Ian LaceyMitchell Dodds
36Andrew McCoullughKotoni Staggs

So far we've only had two players that featured on both sides, Israel Folau and Kotoni Staggs, and both were slightly more loathed than loved.

If I was a betting man, I'd say we'll see another handful of players already on the loved list feature higher on the loathed list - namely Glenn, Turpin, Riki (maybe?), Haas, and McCullough. I think at least two from the loathed list end up higher on the loved list - Tate and Parker.

Will we see any more Hauff-Grauf style rhyming couplets? Ben Te'o and John Te Reo maybe? And no, the Walkers, Walters, Berrigans, and Plowmen don't count...

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Carlin Anderson, the Jets extremely skillful fullback. A lot of fans had him pencilled in on the wing before he suffered an injury in the pre-season and just never got a look in.

Caleb returned around the same time but once Brisbane secured Pangai Jr early that created a logjam so he found himself at the Reds. He actually had a break-out season there and was a fan favourite before he signed with an International club.

If Caleb could have reproduced his 2012 season, he would have been in the Broncos 17. However his form tapered off and he decided to go on his mission at the end of the season.
Was he extremely skillful or just very fast? I remember being on his bandwagon back in the day when I used to watch a whole heap of Brisbane QRL teams and only remember him as being fast, but it's been a while.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Was he extremely skillful or just very fast? I remember being on his bandwagon back in the day when I used to watch a whole heap of Brisbane QRL teams and only remember him as being fast, but it's been a while.
Granted, 'extremely skillful' may have been over-selling it but I don't think it was mutually exclusive either. Carlin had more to his game and wasn't afraid to play some footy and attempt a trick shot. I remember those plays stood out to me because I wondered whether they could translate in what was a really conservative period in the NRL.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
BHQ Loved

35. Terry Matterson

pJn8IQN.jpg

1988-1995
Position: Lock
Games: 156
Tries: 29
Highest Vote: 4 (GC Bronco)

BHQ Loathed

35. Greg Eden

BoTnGFc.jpg

Highest Vote: 3 (Ningnangnong)

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I imagine Joel Clinton won't be too liked after what happened with Civoniceva at the club.

Joel Clinton and Ashton Sims were the same era. I agree in isolation, especially as Clinton was paid close to what Petero was promised (making the whole situation a poinless clusterfuck), but I know where people retrospective votes are going.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Joel Clinton and Ashton Sims were the same era. I agree in isolation, especially as Clinton was paid close to what Petero was promised (making the whole situation a poinless clusterfuck), but I know where people retrospective votes are going.
Not just the finanical aspect but Joel Clinton's career at that stage, he was well and truly on the slide and was being outclassed by Nick Kenny who was as cooker cutter budget player as you could get and on the otherhand Civoniceva despite being on the later stage of his career was still well and truly performing.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Yeah I thought he was solid TBH. Not spectacular or anything, but he was fine.

Ian Lacey definitely more meh.
Lacey was 5'5 and tough as nails. I liked him because he was tiny but was able to make the step to first grade. He wasn't a regular with the Broncos but he had a couple big games coming off the bench. I am a big fan of the underdog.

Unfortunately, he got pissed one night at the Victory and got sucked into some goading from a fellow patron and then proceeded to kick the shit out of him.

That spelled the end of his tenure in Brisbane (he was so proud to be a Bronco). He kicked around the Titian's organisation for a couple years without making a NRL appearance for them. Definitely a career wasted due to stupidity.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
BHQ Loved

34. Dave Taylor

5kMdluq.png

2006-2009
Position: Front Row
Games: 49
Tries: 9
Highest Vote: 2 (Accept)

BHQ Loathed

34. Kaine Manihera

stikLby.jpg

Position: Wing
Games: 9
Tries: 2
Highest Vote: 2 (Sproj)

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
49 games for us hey? I guess the trend for us developing gun juniors and then them getting poached was already happening back then.

As for Manyerror, he was slow, had no agility and was just simply not even close to be good enough. A poor man’s Maranta and that says a lot.

Unread

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Thelmus
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Rambstien
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.