BHQ Countdown: Most Loved/Least Liked Players Reveal thread

Alfs come back made me feel the same feelings as the Cathy Freeman run. So much nerves before hand, everything to lose and absolutely no alternative but to win. Watching that game at my grandpas house is something I’ll never forget.

BHQ Loved

2. Shane Webcke

ySZA7RI.jpg

1995-2006
Position: Front Row
Games: 254
Tries: 18
2011 BHQ Greatest Rank: 3
Highest Vote: 1 (Culhwch)

BHQ Loathed

2. Jack Bird

hkG3EIk.png

2018-2020
Position: Centre, Halves
Games: 25
Tries: 8
Highest Vote: 1 (Porouian, Mustafar, Harry Sack)

Webcke - No one will complain about that result, a true gentleman off the field and an absolute beast on it. He just had this amazing ability to step up when the game was on the line despite, compared to other props, not actually being that big. He was all heart and I will always remember the grand final he won with a broken arm. At the time, I was too young to appreciate how brave that was. Subsequently I have realised how tough that really was. The man had no fear and bled maroon and yellow. Surprised it isn't Alfie though to be honest.

Bird - It looked bad from the day it was announced and just got worse. A completely overrated player, even at the time. He came to us broken, red flags and then proceeded to break in every way imaginable thereafter. Played almost no games and let the door hit him on the way out. You could forgive him for the injuries, hardly his fault but not the way he spoke about the club after leaving. He was a luxury signing that was yet again symptomatic of that era of blokes thinking they were all better than the club. Another of the waning Bennett second stint years that just left you shaking your head when it was announced and fuming once the dust settled. Wayne's second stint really wasn't all that good but that gets glossed over a lot because there were so many other issues with the club. But I digress and honestly, I too am seriously surprised Bird is number 2 and not number 1.

Webcke has to be one of the toughest bastards to play the game, that run he did in the 06 grand final I still think of to this day.

Him and Petero is and will be the goated prop one-two.

Bird was a disaster from the moment he was signed, came here injured requiring surgery that he didn't get done in the off season, then just had injury after injury, I can't blame him for those even though he was burning a huge hole in our cap but what really tipped it off is when he left and wanted to blame us for everything he went through.

**** deserves to rot in hell, stole a huge wage for years as well as coming here broken and thinks he has the right to say that, **** the dog.

If #1 Hated is who I think it is, it's no surprise he beat out Bird. He's not just hated by Broncos fans, he's hated by damn near everyone.

yeah the injuries didn't annoy me about Bird. Bad luck. But he at first treated it like a holiday, playing like shit for a while and enjoying those free burgers too much. But then he acts out and the media take his side to get out of his contract so we look like assholes, even though we still have to pay him to play for St George. **** him so much.

Love Webby forever. Every time I see him on the news I still say **** yeah Webby! 2006 GF is a dream the way he went out.

Can't believe I forgot to vote for Jack Bird. FML. Glad he's rated highly anyway.

As for Webcke, I won an autographed Shane Webcke photo book from the newspaper by saying my favourite all time footy hilight was his run in the GF. I plan on passing it down to my children, and my children's children. What a legend.

May as well go ahead and reveal the most loved and most hated right now, because I don't think anyone is under any illusions about who they are gonna be.

The thing about Webcke is that for all the skill and athleticism his opponents had, none of them had the same drive as Webby. Webcke just made everything so fiercely personal that you could sense the relief the opposition would feel whenever he'd come off the field.

He was tough too. Played through a grand final with a broken arm just because the Broncos needed him out there to set a tone. He'd suffer injuries that would keep players out for months and he'd return in a matter of weeks.

I really enjoyed how articulate he was as well. You could tell he wanted to be at his best both on and off the field and I always thought he represented the club in it's best light - a true clubmen in that sense.

The moment that stood out to me about Shane was his final stint. He was just running over players, running as hard as he ever had and even ripping into his own players to keep their minds on the job. I can't think of a more pleasing Rugby League visual than Locky and Webcke lifting the shield together - it appears I'm not alone either if the #1 is anything to go by.

The thing about Webcke is that for all the skill and athleticism his opponents had, none of them had the same drive as Webby. Webcke just made everything so fiercely personal that you could sense the relief the opposition would feel whenever he'd come off the field.

He was tough too. Played through a grand final with a broken arm just because the Broncos needed him out there to set a tone. He'd suffer injuries that would keep players out for months and he'd return in a matter of weeks.

I really enjoyed how articulate he was as well. You could tell he wanted to be at his best both on and off the field and I always thought he represented the club in it's best light - a true clubmen in that sense.

The moment that stood out to me about Shane was his final stint. He was just running over players, running as hard as he ever had and even ripping into his own players to keep their minds on the job. I can't think of a more pleasing Rugby League visual than Locky and Webcke lifting the shield together - it appears I'm not alone either if the #1 is anything to go by.

I remember reading that Webby trained as hard as he played, his own teammates were scared of him.

One of my favourite Webcke quotes is him saying how he worked out if he was willing to work harder when others wouldnt he could win.

For me, the greatest prop of all time and the greatest Bronco of all time.

I couldn't go past Alfie at #1.

He was an overnight sensation when he signed with the club but he could have just as easily been a flash in the pan. Usually it's a death knell to take over from a living legend but Langer handled it wonderfully and dominated the 90s.

Whenever the game was in the balance, it was usually Alfie who came up with the winning play. He just had that competitiveness in him, that courage to pull something out of the hat to get his team over the line. To find out years later how nervous Alfie was before games and how much doubt he had and how he hid it under a facade really goes to show you the type of character he was.

258 games as a player over 1000 as a trainer when I think of the Brisbane Broncos he's the player that always comes to mind.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.