BHQ Countdown: Most Loved/Least Liked Players Reveal thread

If there are two better role models for decency, work ethic and selflessnes than Webcke and Civoniceva, I’ve not come across them. And that’s not just in Rugby League circles. Thorny is certainly up there with them, but just a sliver behind.

One of my favourite Webcke quotes is him saying how he worked out if he was willing to work harder when others wouldnt he could win.

For me, the greatest prop of all time and the greatest Bronco of all time.
Went out on the off season when everyone else was drinking and did 10km gap nearly every day, do a little bit more than everyone else and you will win.

Wayne went out to watch Steve Price play and ended up signing Shane Webcke.

I did a gig once commentating the hand cane cutting championships in Home Hill where Webcke was the special guest for the day and joined me on the mic at various points throughout the day.
I was nervous as heck before meeting him but thought I’d break the ice when I was introduced to him by saying, Hi Shaun, nice to meet you.
He stared through me for a second and then I broke the tension with a laugh and told him I was fucking around and a huge fan.
He was an absolute gem of a bloke to play around with and as the day went on we built up a nice little connection of ribbing each other.
They say never to meet your heroes, but you’d have to ask him whether it was worth it…

The real question is where does billy Walters fit in on the loathed list? 3,2 or 1? No other spots left.
Do we have the trifecta of hookers coming in the top 3. Turpin Macca and Walters 🫠
Has anyone actually "hated" any of these three personally? I haven't seen it. I've only seen criticism of their abilities, never their characters.

sounds a bit overly sentimental but as a kid in the late 90s early 2000s with next to no positive male role models, I idolised (at least the public personas of) Wayne, Webcke, Petero, and Locky.

In my young mind they were what men were meant to be.

I haven’t thought about it in years because I went away from league for a while and came back as an adult who obviously doesn’t idolise players in the same way but looking back on it, I really can’t understate how much those guys shaped my personality.

sounds a bit overly sentimental but as a kid in the late 90s early 2000s with next to no positive male role models, I idolised (at least the public personas of) Wayne, Webcke, Petero, and Locky.

In my young mind they were what men were meant to be.

I haven’t thought about it in years because I went away from league for a while and came back as an adult who obviously doesn’t idolise players in the same way but looking back on it, I really can’t understate how much those guys shaped my personality.
You chose wisely.

Waiting Patiently GIF by General Hospital

Gamble does the same thing but when he did it I didn't really mind lol.

Ennis had a very snakey vibe about him when he played though, with Gamble you knew he just wanted to start shit for fun.
To add on this which Highlights the point, sorry if it's ate asf lol but this video highlights why Ennis is a dickhead NSW scum:

Some people compare him to Gamble but he would never hide behind a player ever, this is scummy NSW behaviour.

on a side note I would die a happy man if Gamble plays a game for QLD.

on a side note I would die a happy man if Gamble plays a game for QLD.
It might be a heavy injury toll for the Maroons if he’s lining up in the 6, but god help us #metoo

I didn’t like Gamble at the start, but by the end of the season he was one of my favourite players. Im happy to see he’s playing well at the Knights. Good on him. What a bloke.

Has anyone actually "hated" any of these three personally? I haven't seen it. I've only seen criticism of their abilities, never their characters.
I know a couple of people who disliked them. It probably wasn't hatred, but dislike.
But it doesn't matter. After a short conversation, I managed to change things a bit :)

BHQ Loved

1. Darren Lockyer

image.png

1995-2011
Position: Halves, Fullback
Games: 355
Tries: 122
2011 BHQ Greatest Rank: 1
Highest Vote: 1 (GCBRONCO, Sproj, mrslong, Something, Ningnangnong, Foordy, Santa, Tommy, Ozzball, I Bleed Maroon, Harry Sack, Mr Fourex, Mustafar, ZTop)

BHQ Loathed

1. Anthony Mundine

https3A2F2Fprod.png

Position: Centre
Games: 18
Tries: 3
Highest Vote: 1 (McHunt, Morkel, ZTop, Culhwch, GCBRONCO, Foordy)

Lockyer - What needs to be said? The guy was a legend, should be an immortal yesterday and he will be eventually. He changed the way fullback was played and then went to five-eighth and became a legend there too. Won premierships regularly and if not for Beale's knee, quite likely would have gone out with one to finish his career too. The Qld spine of Slater-Lockyer-Thurston-Smith was the stuff dreams were made of. He succeeded in everything he did and even when he didn't like his international debut, he went away and worked on everything and came back even better. Captained Australia, Queensland and Brisbane as many times as everyone and if a bloke named Cameron Smith didn't exist, he would be considered the best player of all time or at least in the final discussion. Greatest player we have produced and we've produced some amazing ones.

Mundine - Look I'm going to be honest here, I am actually disappointed he is at 1. While playing for us, he was fine. Yes he has gone on to prove himself to be an absolute moron in his post-career but in my opinion, he doesn't even make top 5 and maybe not even top 10 in my view. Our number one most hated should be Bird and number 2, Kennedy. Kennedy was a waste of space on the field and as history has gone on to see, a waste of space off it too. Mundine, for all his many and many flaws, never disgraced the Broncs jersey to my knowledge. Anywho, just my view and clearly in opposition to the majority.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.