PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Neither. Just trying to get a win/win solution for everyone so we can move on from talking about Billy, who I must admit, played his best 15mins of footy last night. A solid 4/10 performance.

This way Dad’s Special Little Guy can’t hold up a spot or stop someone more deserving playing. But… Billy, if you’re reading this, PROVE 85% of the fans here wrong once and for all. Force all of us armchair coaches to make a Billy Walters appreciation thread 🙏🏻

I think by adding Walsh now with Mam and Reno, all we need is Billy and Paix to just do their jobs, we can mimic Manly, they have 3/4 spine players as stars ( Turbo, DCE and had Foran, now Schuster) and Croker ( dont rate him as a big hooker but with the other spine players all he does is he job), likewise we have the spine (just BW and Paix need to do their jobs- the special stuff can come from Walsh, mam abd Reno

Hope it make sense

I think by adding Walsh now with Mam and Reno, all we need is Billy and Paix to just do their jobs, we can mimic Manly, they have 3/4 spine players as stars ( Turbo, DCE and had Foran, now Schuster) and Croker ( dont rate him as a big hooker but with the other spine players all he does is he job), likewise we have the spine (just BW and Paix need to do their jobs- the special stuff can come from Walsh, mam abd Reno

Hope it make sense
Exactly what I’ve been saying. Completely agree. Billy just needs to pick his moments better and the Paix/Walters combo is fine short term.

I couldn't believe after a win against probably our biggest rival that there would be people who wanted to get stuck into Billy, at that point it's not really about Billy or the team. It's about those individuals inflating their ego.
Maybe because we were getting thrashed until he got replaced. Or weren't you watching?

Now do Kotoni.

Maybe because we were getting thrashed until he got replaced. Or weren't you watching?

Now do Kotoni.
Correlation does not imply causation.

The initial 20 minutes is more difficult than the time Paix comes on for. Plus we were defending most of the time.

Walters was part of the reason we were making it down field when we were stuck in our own quarter. He picked his runs well for the most part. You guys are just remembering the one time a player got in his way and not the runs that helped us get off our tryline.

That’s why this conversation sucks. It’s not based in honesty. It’s an attempt to imply that he’s only there because he’s the coaches son so you can all go back to the comments you made last year and Pat yourselves on the back.

Correlation does not imply causation.

The initial 20 minutes is more difficult than the time Paix comes on for. Plus we were defending most of the time.

Walters was part of the reason we were making it down field when we were stuck in our own quarter. He picked his runs well for the most part. You guys are just remembering the one time a player got in his way and not the runs that helped us get off our tryline.

That’s why this conversation sucks. It’s not based in honesty. It’s an attempt to imply that he’s only there because he’s the coaches son so you can all go back to the comments you made last year and Pat yourselves on the back.
When I get time I’ll rewatch the game and do my best to provide honest accounts for each contribution Billy makes with the time so others can fact check.

It’ll be a bit of a pain in the ass but it may give me a new found appreciation for Bill if what you’re saying is true.

I do aim to be as objective as possible so it will be good to know if I am falling victim to confirmation bias.

Am I the only person that's sick to death of this argument..
fmd, everyone agrees they're both bog average but while we're winning they're both going to get picked.
It's only if we start losing that things will likely change..

Hope it make sense
I think we easily have them beat in the Outside backs and Forwards though.

I’ll post the whole detailed breakdown later but I’m 12 mins in so far and Walters has been pretty good. Mostly just basic passing and tackling required of a hooker. Have to give him credit for a fairly great tackle on Dearden 1m out though the team let him down as the cows scored the next play anyway. Has been busy in defence with a couple back to back efforts in group tackles.

Had a good scoot when the markers were caught out and then offloaded to Haas from his knees. Wasn’t the most graceful scoot but stole some decent metres.

Around the 10 minute mark he is starting to show signs of visible fatigue. Taking moments to walk and being less involved in defence - not necessarily a knock as it may be smart fatigue management.

I’ve stopped watching 12 minutes in because I’m going to go do something more meaningful with my day but I’ll finish this off later. Interested to see how the rest of this first stint goes as the last attacking set I watched saw his dummy half passing becoming a little laboured, less crisp and accurate. Might just be a one off.

So far I have to say the first 12 minutes is probably 6 or even 7 out of 10 (for an honest toiler, not a superstar 10).

Now do Kotoni.

First set of the game Payne Haas gives away a penalty (might have even been the first tackle of the game), not trying to start something about Payne either but that's just what happened, it took us a long time to get momentum back after that.

There's all types of fans. Who are you to decide who qualifies as a Broncos fan. There are yes men fans who support the team no matter what, other fans that want the team to improve by highlighting/critiquing the team's weakness and inefficiencies. If we have all yes men fans, the team will never progress and will only invite mediocrity.

A fan supports the team, the coach, all of that.

You don't get to harass the shit out of member's of the team on a fan forum and call yourself a fan. It's not highlighting/critiquing. This thread has probably been the most active thread on this forum since it's inception and that's not because of Billy's ability as a footballer, it's because the coach is his dad. If he plays like shit, that just gives them a bit more ammo to work with.

I would like to also point out, whatever is said on here doesn't change a thing. I guarantee you our views mean next to nothing in the eyes of Kevvie or anyone else in charge of picking the team/assembling the roster.

I’ll post the whole detailed breakdown later but I’m 12 mins in so far and Walters has been pretty good. Mostly just basic passing
What I notice most in a dummy half is how fast we look in attack, how much they drive momentum. I get antsy when every tackle feels like a mini break for everyone to catch their breath. And even more ropable when every pass finds a flat footed stationary receiver, giving away metres of heard earned advantage.

A few things to watch in a dummy half:

1. Does he keep the momentum rolling. Is the opposition constantly on the back foot trying to get onside. Are we getting more 6-agains than the opposition? Or does every set involve some minor break waiting for everyone to get ready?

2. Does he tend to pass to flat footed stationary players? Do they sometimes have to jump? Or does he pass in front of runners already at full tilt?

3. Does it feel like the attacking line is continually rolling forward or does every tackle feel like a fresh restart?

4. How often does he scoot to the ball, scoop it up one handed, run past the marker and catch the opposition unaware?

5. How many times a match does he (almost) score from dummy half right on the line?

6. How often does he get lost and pass directly behind himself to a stationary player?

7. When he runs from dummy half, does it look like he's trying to set up another player or is he just meandering aimlessly?

What I notice most in a dummy half is how fast we look in attack, how much they drive momentum. I get antsy when every tackle feels like a mini break for everyone to catch their breath. And even more ropable when every pass finds a flat footed stationary receiver, giving away metres of heard earned advantage.

A few things to watch in a dummy half:

1. Does he keep the momentum rolling. Is the opposition constantly on the back foot trying to get onside. Are we getting more 6-agains than the opposition? Or does every set involve some minor break waiting for everyone to get ready?

2. Does he tend to pass to flat footed stationary players? Do they sometimes have to jump? Or does he pass in front of runners already at full tilt?

3. Does it feel like the attacking line is continually rolling forward or does every tackle feel like a fresh restart?

4. How often does he scoot to the ball, scoop it up one handed, run past the marker and catch the opposition unaware?

5. How many times a match does he (almost) score from dummy half right on the line?

6. How often does he get lost and pass directly behind himself to a stationary player?

7. When he runs from dummy half, does it look like he's trying to set up another player or is he just meandering aimlessly?
I’ve been considering all those things and I would say that doing the above (or not doing in the case of negative things) makes a good hooker. Not doing them but not making negative plays aka the bare minimum makes you average.

I’ve just finished watching the first stint. It was all fairly okay. His best moment was by far the tackle on Dearden I mentioned above. One or two well timed runs, and fairly busy and effective defensive work.

He had that one wobbly set around 12 mins in I mentioned above but his service was fairly good after that. Never looked dangerous or overly creative but went about his work.

I would’ve rated it a 5/10 effort if not for the following:

- the pass that lead to the intercept was never on and was at an integral moment in the game. We really needed to just get through the set and didn’t need anything cute.
- the very next play he ripped at the ball while 2 other defenders were in the tackle. No questions that this was stupid and was again, another attempt at a big play that wasn’t needed. Gifted the Cows a shot at goal from right in front and extended the cows lead to 8-0. That could’ve costed us dearly.

- the above was by far the worst offences but if we’re being critical there was also a missed attempt at a shirt grab tackle on Talungi on the cows 20m that resulted in a 25m line break (tackled in the 45m line). Patty was poor at marker here too. Has to share the blame.

In summary, the first stint had a great tackle, some good defensive work rate, a poor missed tackle, an avoidable intercept, and a brainsnap strip penalty immediately after under the posts.

3/10

A fan supports the team, the coach, all of that.

You don't get to harass the shit out of member's of the team on a fan forum and call yourself a fan. It's not highlighting/critiquing. This thread has probably been the most active thread on this forum since it's inception and that's not because of Billy's ability as a footballer, it's because the coach is his dad. If he plays like shit, that just gives them a bit more ammo to work with.

I would like to also point out, whatever is said on here doesn't change a thing. I guarantee you our views mean next to nothing in the eyes of Kevvie or anyone else in charge of picking the team/assembling the roster.
Sorry but you are flat out wrong. Real fans are the people who are willing to critique the club for it‘s faults because they want to see them get better. I have a right to say anything I want about the broncos, I sat through the Darius Boyd years.

Sorry but you are flat out wrong. Real fans are the people who are willing to critique the club for it‘s faults because they want to see them get better. I have a right to say anything I want about the broncos, I sat through the Darius Boyd years.

Has the team not got better?

Again, Tauamolo was floating at marker and therefore was not onside. Should have been our penalty. The strip was questionable. 3 out of 10 is a very poor, dishonest rating. No player in our team gets a 3/10 that night. What would you have given Paix?

Active Now

• bazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • Mustafur
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.