NEWS Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is optimistic about Broncos’ future

I'm positive we've taken our first steps to where we need to be..This was always going to take time.
In what way? There's been a lot of statements on here about us heading in the right direction throughout this season but I've seen us go backwards every round. I'd like to hear how we look better or have taken any positive steps at all

He reminds me of a snake oil salesman that conned his way into a gullible rich family and is slowly reaping away all of their fortune and prestige.

Mate we haven't won a premiership since 2006, the prestige was already long gone. As for the fortunes, there is an absolute fortune being spent on players who aren't worth their contract value so I'm all for reaping away at those.

The Sharks and Rooster wins, the introduction of Dearden, the rise of Turpin (we were easily our best with him at 9) The gradual cultural power shift away from under performers to people like Carrigan etc. Hass and Fifita had their best years. The understanding of how below the fitness levels we were. We aren't out of the woods, yet, but we are on our way imo.

I'm surprisingly optimistic, i think Seibs will get it right next year ,but i still hold Seibs quite responsible for a lot of our failings. I have never bought into this rubbish that he had a poor roster because he didnt. I reckon a few tweaks from our 2018 roster and we would have finished top 6. We went overboard imo.

I'm surprisingly optimistic, i think Seibs will get it right next year ,but i still hold Seibs quite responsible for a lot of our failings. I have never bought into this rubbish that he had a poor roster because he didnt. I reckon a few tweaks from our 2018 roster and we would have finished top 6. We went overboard imo.
I think you are underselling some of the problems, but I don't necessarily disagree with the thrust of what you are saying. A lot of the issues were down to decisions or non-decisions of Seibold that I personally found quite baffling.

I think the main issues he could and should have dealt with, Boyd and Macca being the obvious ones. He had no real excuses in that regard. Other things like Roberts for example he dealt with fairly ruthlessly.

I think the main issues he could and should have dealt with, Boyd and Macca being the obvious ones. He had no real excuses in that regard. Other things like Roberts for example he dealt with fairly ruthlessly.
Yes mate, pretty much what I was talking about. Plus continuing to play Turpin at halfback and given our halves situation I had a real question mark about the decision to move Milford to fullback as well.

He set so many double standards.

Turps goes great and then one average performance, you are out.
Macca is average all year but stays at 9.
Boyd shouldn't have been in reserve grade but stays in the spine, I get he is captain but you could have shifted him to centre/wing if higher ups said he had to be in the side.
Shibasaki couldn't have gone worse, repeatedly but kept getting games.
Farnworth looked great, no opportunities.
Milford shifted from 6 to 1 and then forced to play 6 and 1, after punting KNik who would have been a very decent 6 or 1.
Saying he is responsible for losses and then proceeding to give a hundred reasons why it wasn't anything to do with him.

Last edited:

He can’t be held responsible for specific squad members not buying into his ways. Those players needed to be shifted on the the greater good.

As I said middle of the year. Short term pain for long term gain. Take the medicine and all buy in.

The Wayne days are well and truly done.

He can’t be held responsible for specific squad members not buying into his ways. Those players needed to be shifted on the the greater good.

As I said middle of the year. Short term pain for long term gain. Take the medicine and all buy in.

Joe, are you not concerned though about our halves situation, particularly the likelihood now that we can't/won't even land Croft because we are expecting Storm to pay a large chunk of his salary? The Kahu situation, more wasted money and a position in the top 30 squad. Boyd and Macca still hanging round like a bad smell.

I am not seeing much to be optimistic about for next season yet. All that talk and huffing and puffing from Seibold and the Board after that final game and yet it all still appears to be the status quo. The usual suspects still in the picture and us fans still seeing the same shit dished up in 2020 is what I fear.

Last edited:

I dont think there were many who didnt buy into his ways really. Roberts was the only one i know of, and he left. Our poor cap management isnt down to him as it wasnt on his watch, but he hasnt helped himself either.

He can be held responsible, and he should be held responsible for a bad game plan and not dropping under performers.

What players did buy in Joe? Certainly didn't look like anybody did.

I wonder if its more they bought into it, but couldnt grasp what he was trying to achieve. I spoke to a few of the guys and they all spoke fairly highly of him.

are you confident in the long term gain though or is that just a sporting cliche?

I wonder if its more they bought into it, but couldnt grasp what he was trying to achieve. I spoke to a few of the guys and they all spoke fairly highly of him.

was it a case of they couldn't grasp it or that Bennett's ways were so ingrained that under fatigue they went back to them due to muscle memory (for lack of a better term) we also had 4 years under hook which is a similar style to Bennett (who is an upgrade version, but still similar)

was it a case of they couldn't grasp it or that Bennett's ways were so ingrained that under fatigue they went back to them due to muscle memory (for lack of a better term) we also had 4 years under hook which is a similar style to Bennett (who is an upgrade version, but still similar)

I'm not sure. Footy is a pretty simple game at the end of the day. I really dont get what the issue was with them. A lot of our problems were basic errors like not holding the ball and not completing our sets. Thats kind of thing hurts every side in the comp.

There was a pretty clear split in the group to be fair. The older guys are all not particularly stoked with the changes implemented, and there has been push back and a large chunk of negativity from a nucleus. Some now gone, others still around.

The young guys all bought in. The senior group didn’t. Hence the implosion at the end.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.