Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What Danoz said.

Even if he was, I'm not saying Bennett's an idiot for selecting these players. Clearly with Smith, TC and to a lesser extent Scott it was successful - I'm just pointing out where the perception comes from and making the point that he basically goes with who he feels is the best all-round and for the team.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Reed is selected in order to assist Milford in defense.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Sounds like nothing more than speculation that he was considered an option due to an injury crisis and experience.

It wasn't like he was banging down the door demanding to get selected there.

It'd be like saying Chris McQueen was considered for the wing heading into Game III.

But again, that's besides the point I was making.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Sounds like nothing more than speculation that he was considered an option due to an injury crisis and experience.

It wasn't like he was banging down the door demanding to get selected there.

It'd be like saying Chris McQueen was considered for the wing heading into Game III.

But again, that's besides the point I was making.

I wasn't arguing any of your points. I simply asked a question which was answered with a single word response that wasn't entirely correct.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
People like to forget facts ... Bennett has in the past played players like Scott, Stagg, Smith, Carroll, Costigan, Prior etc in the centers... all second rowers FTR... with the exception of maybe Smith, not one of them can genuinely be called an attacking center.

they have all been selected there on there defence alone.

and that wasn't necessarily wrong, but you also have to assume based on PAST EVENTS, that Reed is a good chance to play plenty of games as a starting center for us under Bennett's tenure, because he is a defence oriented center (not an attacking one).

I'm not saying he will definately be selected to start the year as center, but he is definately in with a very good chance, because he is exactly the type of center Bennett likes. the hard working, defensive type. Copley and Hodges are certain starters in our 2015 backline, but their positions are anyones guess.

But if you guys want to keep looking at Bennett through rose coloured glass, believing he can do no wrong, then be my guest.

one other fact you guys should remember, ever since Griffin became an NRL head coach, his winning record is superior to Bennetts.... i know i know, none of that was Bennetts fault. and before you start with me about loving Griffin (because i know its about to come) I wanted Griffin sacked and am glad he is no longer our coach.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Our best backline to start round 1 IMHO. (i'll leave the forward pack and bench alone as i don't know enough about our new signings)

1. Barba
2. Hoffman (if he stays, otherwise Vidot)
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Boyd (if he comes, otherwise Kahu)
6. Milford (I still would have played him at 1, but we know he will be 6, I can live with that either way)
7. Hunt

That back line would be more dangerous than most others in the comp. compile a pack of forwards that can consistently get us into good field position ... and were all set

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Bennett has played both good defenders and just as many terrible defenders but gifted attackers in the centres. I don't think he has shown a preference one way or the other.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
People like to forget facts ... Bennett has in the past played players like Scott, Stagg, Smith, Carroll, Costigan, Prior etc in the centers... all second rowers FTR... with the exception of maybe Smith, not one of them can genuinely be called an attacking center.

they have all been selected there on there defence alone.

and that wasn't necessarily wrong, but you also have to assume based on PAST EVENTS, that Reed is a good chance to play plenty of games as a starting center for us under Bennett's tenure, because he is a defence oriented center (not an attacking one).

I'm not saying he will definately be selected to start the year as center, but he is definately in with a very good chance, because he is exactly the type of center Bennett likes. the hard working, defensive type. Copley and Hodges are certain starters in our 2015 backline, but their positions are anyones guess.

But if you guys want to keep looking at Bennett through rose coloured glass, believing he can do no wrong, then be my guest.

one other fact you guys should remember, ever since Griffin became an NRL head coach, his winning record is superior to Bennetts.... i know i know, none of that was Bennetts fault. and before you start with me about loving Griffin (because i know its about to come) I wanted Griffin sacked and am glad he is no longer our coach.

Well I'm glad you remember the facts. Can't believe we forgot, especially after being told the same thing once a week for a few months. Difference being, and this has already been said to you a few times, that many of those players filled in at centre because of injuries or having nobody else to play there well enough.

That last part is ridiculous and that whole post was hardly worth replying to.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Our best backline to start round 1 IMHO. (i'll leave the forward pack and bench alone as i don't know enough about our new signings)

1. Barba
2. Hoffman (if he stays, otherwise Vidot)
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Boyd (if he comes, otherwise Kahu)
6. Milford (I still would have played him at 1, but we know he will be 6, I can live with that either way)
7. Hunt

That back line would be more dangerous than most others in the comp. compile a pack of forwards that can consistently get us into good field position ... and were all set

Pity the fullback can't catch though.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Pity the fullback can't catch though.

Hodges is terrible under the high ball, Boyd is terrible under the high ball, Barba is terrible under the high ball. Hoffman is safe under the high ball, but if i had have named Hoffman at full back, i would have been lynched

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Well I'm glad you remember the facts. Can't believe we forgot, especially after being told the same thing once a week for a few months. Difference being, and this has already been said to you a few times, that many of those players filled in at centre because of injuries or having nobody else to play there well enough.

That last part is ridiculous and that whole post was hardly worth replying to.

so you replied to it anyway ...

you can tell yourself it was because of injuries if it makes you feel better ... but that was not always the case.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Hodges is terrible under the high ball, Boyd is terrible under the high ball, Barba is terrible under the high ball. Hoffman is safe under the high ball, but if i had have named Hoffman at full back, i would have been lynched

And Barba was the worst of them all this year. I don't want another season of worrying every set of six because Barba hasn't caught a high bomb in a year.

so you replied to it anyway ...

you can tell yourself it was because of injuries if it makes you feel better ... but that was not always the case.

Most of the time it was though, but people like to forget facts, don't they?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
For a year before Gasnier came back to league

In an offer that was too good to pass up. It wasn't like Bennett did everything he could to attract Gasnier - he wanted to come home and was willing to do it for next to nothing in some pretty suspicious circumstances.

Keeping in mind too - Bennett would have had some say on Gasnier's initial departure and Josh Morris in 2008, so there is that too.

But this thread isn't really about Bennett - there's enough discussion about that elsewhere. If you want to continue this just quote this post over in the Bennett thread.

For those struggling with keeping this thread on topic, this is simply about the Broncos squad heading into 2015 and any prolonged tangents about Bennett, Boyd/Barba etc. won't be tolerated.

Last edited:
Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
This would be the team I would choose:

1. Boyd/Barba
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. Oates
16. Gavet
17. Garbutt

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
As a followup to the previous discussion, Hunt has been named in the four nations squad. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play at rep level, it's a shame the PNG game wasn't broadcast.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I am seeing Gillett a bit differently to some of you. I see him as a game breaker against tired forwards, coming off the bench but still getting good minutes.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Behold
  • davidp
  • TimWhatley
  • Financeguy
  • kman
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lozza
  • Gaz
  • mitch222
  • Harry Sack
  • Redfern_1980
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.