Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Cheers for the heads up, Danoz.

CM also confirmed that Brett Greinke will train with the senior squad next year and will represent the Norths Devils in the ISC.

------

I've always been a bit more critical of Greinke than most but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a late bloomer. I really like the way he handles himself off the field and his work around marker really caught my eye. Again, I was surprised by his selection as captain of the NYC squad, but credit to Hodges and his coaching staff, they got that pick 100% correct.

Cheers for the heads up, Danoz.

I've always been a bit more critical of Greinke than most but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a late bloomer. I really like the way he handles himself off the field and his work around marker really caught my eye.

You mean like Brian Edwards has already predicted?

I like our chances next year not just because we should improve with the addition of Bennett & Milford, but because the other top sides are looking like they'd drop a notch or two. I wouldn't mind betting that there's a bit of a changing of the guard when it comes to the top 8. Penrith, the Broncos, and some other smokeys might be the new ladder leaders.

SOUTHS: I've maintained all along that Sam was their key. The team as a whole will no longer have the drive now that they've shot their 40-odd year wad, but even the remaining Burgii will not have their heart in it as much now that Sam's gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them out of the top 4, maybe even the 8.

ROOSTERS: I hated SBW and the media for pandering to him, but he was one of their best players. Losing him will hurt them. I still think they'll make the top 4 but after this year, when the cap bites, they'll decline quickly.

MANLY: What a glorious crumbling of their team. Will be lucky to make the 8 next year. Awesome halves & backs but most will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. And of course the loss of Watmough, their pack leader, will be too much.

STORM: Still not writing them off, but they certainly look to be on the decline. You just can't have that much money tied up on so few players, especially when they are on the downward slope of their careers.

I like our chances next year not just because we should improve with the addition of Bennett & Milford, but because the other top sides are looking like they'd drop a notch or two. I wouldn't mind betting that there's a bit of a changing of the guard when it comes to the top 8. Penrith, the Broncos, and some other smokeys might be the new ladder leaders.

SOUTHS: I've maintained all along that Sam was their key. The team as a whole will no longer have the drive now that they've shot their 40-odd year wad, but even the remaining Burgii will not have their heart in it as much now that Sam's gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them out of the top 4, maybe even the 8.

ROOSTERS: I hated SBW and the media for pandering to him, but he was one of their best players. Losing him will hurt them. I still think they'll make the top 4 but after this year, when the cap bites, they'll decline quickly.

MANLY: What a glorious crumbling of their team. Will be lucky to make the 8 next year. Awesome halves & backs but most will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. And of course the loss of Watmough, their pack leader, will be too much.

STORM: Still not writing them off, but they certainly look to be on the decline. You just can't have that much money tied up on so few players, especially when they are on the downward slope of their careers.

I agree and also like other recruits like Garbutt and Gavet, with them and a knew game plan our team should gel a lot better than previous years.

Beware the winning culture of those clubs..

After the Storm were pinged and I thought they'd be a walkover and never trouble us again..

Yep.

It's why I refuse to write off any Hasler team or Manly for that matter. When I was more naive I remember thinking there was no way they'd be able to improve upon 06, especially after losing Kennedy. Sure enough they made a GF. Then I thought there was no way they could improve on that with Monaghan gone who was probably their form player at that time. 40-0. Then they lost Brett Stewart for the season...

after that I just kept my mouth shut.

While I was terrible at getting a read of Manly, I was pretty confident Melbourne would hit back. They had a lot of talent coming through from their glorious 2009 NYC premiership side and basically got to blood them while they fielded an illegal roster. It sped the process up and while the cap would eventually get to them, I could see them earning a premiership with the likes of Smith, Slater & Cronk.

I bet Brian Edwards did too FWIW.

I bet Brian Edwards did too FWIW

Hahaha, snap!!!

Your thoughts on Manly pretty much echo my own over the years Pete and I'll throw in Toovey as well. I thought they'd fall in a heap with Des gone and Tooves taking the reigns. Nailed that one didn't I.....

I said at the start of the season that Melbourne would start to come back to the pack and low and behold, they did. You can't disregard a team with that much talent, but I think the shine is starting to rub off.

Souths have lost some punch with SBurgess and Teo gone no doubt. I think we'll see a different style Souths next season. Whether it's as effective as the power game they played this year remains to be seen.

Roosters, I agree with Morkel. When that cap bites, they're in trouble. Unless they get "creative"

Agree completely, Dazza. The cynic in me thinks whenever Folau's name is trumpeted as a possible return I just put it down more often than not to shrewd business by his management to up his price for union. The guy is pretty much the public face of that code so much that I can't see him ever leaving it.

Folau represented the changing of the guard for me, the big talented athlete that competed and representated in 5 different sports at school and wants to achieve the highest honours in all of them as a professional.

I said to myself at the tiem that he would not be the last, and he hasnt...however, it certainly didnt turn into a avlanche of talent leaving the game for pastures new, like some were reporting it at the time when Folau and KH left..>?

Folau represented the changing of the guard for me, the big talented athlete that competed and representated in 5 different sports at school and wants to achieve the highest honours in all of them as a professional.

I said to myself at the tiem that he would not be the last, and he hasnt...however, it certainly didnt turn into a avlanche of talent leaving the game for pastures new, like some were reporting it at the time when Folau and KH left..>?
Probably because people waited to see the results which turned out to be a very short highlight reel over a number of years when if they had stayed they could have made a longer clip in one game of NRL.

Talk of Kennedy going. Bennett is famous for only paying a certain amount for props. My interpretation is that Bennett views Kennedy is being paid overs. I think Hannant to Gavet was good business on the same grounds . I would like another large body in the squad though. Do people think we need to sign a new player or is there a fringe player to step up?

Hannant and Kennedy going is a lot of kgs from the starting 17.

Talk of Kennedy going. Bennett is famous for only paying a certain amount for props. My interpretation is that Bennett views Kennedy is being paid overs. I think Hannant to Gavet was good business on the same grounds . I would like another large body in the squad though. Do people think we need to sign a new player or is there a fringe player to step up?

If Kennedy leaves it will give us some salary to play with for sure, Loyd Perret would not be a bad signing, not much in the market in terms of front rowers. However I have a feeling Bennet will just keep Corey Parker at 10:
8. Mcguire
10. Parker
14. Gavet/Ofahengaue
15. Garbut/Molo

Molo and Ofahengaue have a lot of potential and I wouldn't mind seeing them get a chance this year.

I'm not liking the depth of our pack with Kennedy gone for next year, as much i wanted Kennedy and Hannant gone for money reasons im abit worried we will get dominated up the middle again. Would love to see Ofa get a run though.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.