Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah. . A broncos 2015 thread and we are talking about retired and ex players in a semi final from what, 6 years ago? ? Move on people! Gosh this place is so frustrating sometimes (most times)

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I reckon Whitchurch may be a smoky for a. Bench spot

Agreed. Whitchurch was very impressive on debut a few years ago. I thought he left the club. Seeing him in the Nines was a welcome surprise.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Yeah. . A broncos 2015 thread and we are talking about retired and ex players in a semi final from what, 6 years ago? ? Move on people! Gosh this place is so frustrating sometimes (most times)

That's lovely..

If the forum frustrates you so much, why don't you leave? It's simple.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Wayne Bennett challenges Alex Glenn to break career plateau at Brisbane Broncos

ONCE considered a future Brisbane captain, former Kiwi Test star Alex Glenn is now fighting for his future at Red Hill.

A long-time favourite under former coach Anthony Griffin, Glenn has been delivered an immediate wake-up call by new boss Wayne Bennett with Glenn told he must step it up in 2015 as he fights for a new contract.

Bennett told Glenn his performances had plateaued in recent years and wanted to see the 26-year-old “come out of his shell” by showing more on-field leadership and impact this season.

Glenn has not played for the Kiwi side since 2013, a notable absence given the Test coach is also his current Broncos assistant Stephen Kearney.

The motivational missive from Bennett comes at a crucial time for Glenn, he is off contract this season and yet to even begin negotiations with the club.

A veteran of 142 NRL games and one of just four Broncos not to miss a first grade game last season, Glenn now finds himself in an enormous battle for a starting spot at the club after Bennett’s forward recruitment drive.

The arrival of Adam Blair, Mitch Garbett and James Gavet to Red Hill has all but ensured Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday will be excused from any front row duties in 2015.

That means Glenn is battling Queensland Origin heroes Parker, Thaiday and Matt Gillett who must squeeze into three backrow positions for the club’s NRL opener against South Sydney on March 5.

Bennett will be keeping that decision a closely guarded secret too, with Gillett expected to miss the club’s last trial match, a trip to the UK, due to off-season shoulder surgery.

Glenn was the only senior forward taken on the trip to Auckland for the Nines last weekend and knows the importance of immediately showing Bennett that he is willing to meet the challenge thrown before him.

“There is a lot of competition in my spot so this is just going to be another challenge for me and I’m definitely keen to put both hands forward,” Glenn said.

How Bennett reshapes his forward pack in 2015 remains one of the key questions hovering over Red Hill.

With young forwards like Joe Ofahengaue and Corey Oates earmarked as stars of the future, it’s important for the likes of Glenn and Thaiday to open 2015 with a bang as they both fight for new contracts.

Oates, like Gillett, had surgery in the off-season and is more likely to start the season regaining match fitness in the Intrust Super Cup.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennett-challenges-alex-glenn-to-break-career-plateau-at-brisbane-broncos/story-fniabm4i-1227205426007

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
about time glenn had the rocket put up him. he has been going thru the motions with thaiday in the past couple of seasons.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
The biggest question still remains unanswered. Who is going to captain the side. You would think going into trials that Bennett would want to establish who the on field leader is. Personally I would go with either Andrew McCullough or Ben Hunt.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Dunno why we'd make Andrew McCullough captain when he's probably the weakest link in our starting 13 at the moment.

It'll be Hodges.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
excellent news re: glenn, he has been poor for close to three seasons now.

time to step up or gtfo

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Glenn has really plateaued and with the competition for spots in the forwards now, he will have to step up big time or he's gone.

This is great stuff really because either he becomes a great player or we free up considerable cap space

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I would like to see Glenn dropped to the bench and Gillett put on the left.

I think Gillett played his best footy on the left.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Glenn has really plateaued and with the competition for spots in the forwards now, he will have to step up big time or he's gone.

This is great stuff really because either he becomes a great player or we free up considerable cap space

Fair comment.

I think he needs to do more than that - I think he needs to evolve into something more than a CTW/2RF.

Could he fill the 13 role in the middle once Parker moves on?

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
...also you win premierships with "depth" players of the quality of Glenn, Reed and Oates.

Fair cop, the first two aren't in the same category as Oates but I wouldn't cut them or offloading them to have J'Offa or Whitchurch or Wallace in their place as depth.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Interesting article regarding Glenn. I like what Bennett's doing. I've often thought the coach isn't as instrumental in a team's success as people would believe (or as responsible for a team's failures). Forcing players to take ownership of their form can only be a good thing.

It also puts a dent in the "we have an awesome team - all we need is a good coach" theory from seasons past. If the quote about Bennett telling Glenn to “come out of his shell” by showing more on-field leadership and impact this season is true it also casts doubt on the "if only" excuse for some of our players.

Admittedly it gets used more for Jack Reed but I have seen it offered up as a cop-out for Glenn as well. Y'know the one - He's an awesome player if only he had a decent five-eighth, decent player outside him, decent coach, decent game plan yadda, yadda yadda...

I know it's a team sport and struggling players will inevitably have a ripple effect but these guys aren't hapless victims. Put in a strong run. Make a dominant tackle. Show some leadership by going looking for work rather than standing out on the edges like a stooge.

Ps like the suggestion by @Super Freak about starting him from the bench.

Last edited:
Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Haha I'm on my phone so I cant 'like' but that is so bloody true, bloke hates us

The guy sounds like he wants to take his game to another level in 2015, pretty sure he exploded in his pants during the final minutes of that Sharks game on Saturday...

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
WAYNE Bennett has banned mobile phones from the Broncos training facility, believing they are a threat to team bonding.

Coach Bennett has told his players they are banned from using phones in the club’s training and dressing rooms at Red Hill but are free to do so before or after leaving.

“Phones are the greatest distraction of all time,’’ Bennett said.

“When you are trying to build teams mobile phones have no part to play."

“One guy is trying to talk to another guy and he is looking at his data or his messages. It does not work.

“I have been doing (rule) this for a long time. It’s not something I have just decided on.’

Coaches across the sporting spectrum have been pondering for some years how to tackle the phone issue but Bennett’s stance is non-negotiable.

“This issue is not something I have a debate with myself about. There is no debate at all.’’

Though Bennett will send the occasional text message he has no interest in joining Facebook or Twitter.

“I am not on Facebook or Twitter so they can bag me as much as they like and I don’t even know its happening,’’ Bennett quipped.

“I don’t read it so I don’t care what they say. I have people come into my office and say “Twitter has gone crazy with what they are saying about us’’ and I say “well if you don’t read it how will it affect you?"

Bennett is confident the phone ban has enhanced team bonding.

“Of course it works. They communicate with each other. They have to. The soft option today is to pick up your mobile phone and not communicate.

“But when there are no distractions and you are sitting beside someone you might have to say g’day to them. Sometimes that is important.’’

Bennett said the players had no objection to his stance.

“They are wonderful. Young men need discipline and direction. When they don’t get it you get absolute chaos on the organisation.

“Most of them crave for it and feel you have let them down if you don’t give it to them. But they won’t do it themselves. That is not going to happen.

“I actually have a bigger problem when I don’t take action like this because the older players who have been around say ‘coach, why are you letting them get away with this?'

Bennett has made a series of sweeping changes to the Broncos since arriving from Newcastle, ranging from player signings to introducing small yet significant rules about players paying for lost gear.

Six years away has reinforced to him how well-resourced the Broncos playing staff are and, while he has no objection to that, he wants to try and keep the club lean and mean.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Culhwch
  • HarryAllan7
  • marw
  • Cavalo
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.