Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Going by media reports and the trial sides Bennett seems to be looking for a utility for the bench (Waddell, Parcel or Nikorima). Which means Oates will probably be in the Queensland cup because Glenn, Thaiday and Gillett won't be dropped. I'm just speculating though, who knows what Wayne is planning with him.

And it will be interesting to see if Copley plays in the centres. I think Bennett will go with Reed as he seems to like having a defensive centre. I wouldn't be against that because Milford, Gillett and Copley defending together is a bit of a worry.

This is the side that the CM is predicting will run out in round one:

Jordan Kahu
Dale Copley
Jack Reed
Justin Hodges
Daniel Vidot
Anthony Milford
Ben Hunt
Josh McGuire
Andrew McCullough
Adam Blair
Sam Thaiday
Matt Gillett
Corey Parker.

Interchange: James Gavet, Alex Glenn, Corey Oates, Kodi Nikorima

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-round-one-predicted-teams-dragons-to-blood-three-debutants/story-fniablul-1227216357037

personally i think that bench is too small. but if the side does line up like that in round one, then i expect either Parker or Thaiday to spend some time during the match at prop, especially as we would only have one prop on the bench

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Pretty similar team to what I'd have, except Copley at left centre, Maranta left wing, Reed out of the team, and Dodds/Garbutt on the bench instead of Oates.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Pretty similar team to what I'd have, except Copley at left centre, Maranta left wing, Reed out of the team, and Dodds/Garbutt on the bench instead of Oates.

I think Reed deserves another shot, he played well towards the end of last year and with Milford chiming into that left hand side I think we could see a different Reed. Plus he is a solid defender and Copley goes good on the wing....I just can't stand Maranta being named...

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Copley was pretty ordinary on the wing tbh, he only played good in the centres, when he was playing centre he was the leading try scorer in the NRL.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Copley has bad defense though. . As another poster pointed out - copley, milford and gillett all paying together would be a disaster. Glenn milford and reed on the other hand is much stronger. Gillett should be used as an impact player. But I don't see a bench with just the one prop... so we are stuck with Oates not getting game time til origin unless he plays prop :/ or parker going to prop for oates to play lock when he comes on

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I actually think our issue is we have too many back rowers. . Which is why griffin played parker as a prop so the others could have a run, and why he tried to play thaiday as a prop before that. .

For a more balanced side, I can only see us needing to lose gillett or oatoates. Pending parkeparker's retirement though. . When do we think he'll stop playing to give oates a chance?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Defence is the only reason to play Reed infront of Copley. I don't think Dale is bad in that department but Reed is certainly a safer option and given some of the choices Bennett is making, it may compliment the team better.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Dale Copley is not a winger. But then again, neither is Lachlan Maranta and I'd go as far to say Lachlan Maranta isn't first grade standard. I think the only person who thought so was Anthony Griffin which is why he decided to back him so much in 2013 despite it being glaringly obvious that he wasn't up to it.

That isn't to knock the guy, he's certainly somebody who can come in and do a job but if you're expecting him to do a job week in week out then you're going to have problems.

Copley isn't an ideal choice but then the Broncos backline depth is very poor right now. Copley gets the nod because he at least knows how to finish a try and can be handy getting the ball out of trouble.

As for the bench, to me it's so obvious that the best line-up would see Mitchell Dodds/Mitchell Garbutt come in for Kodi Nikorima that it hurts.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Defence is the only reason to play Reed infront of Copley. I don't think Dale is bad in that department but Reed is certainly a safer option and given some of the choices Bennett is making, it may compliment the team better.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Dale Copley is not a winger. But then again, neither is Lachlan Maranta and I'd go as far to say Lachlan Maranta isn't first grade standard. I think the only person who thought so was Anthony Griffin which is why he decided to back him so much in 2013 despite it being glaringly obvious that he wasn't up to it.

That isn't to knock the guy, he's certainly somebody who can come in and do a job but if you're expecting him to do a job week in week out then you're going to have problems.

Copley isn't an ideal choice but then the Broncos backline depth is very poor right now. Copley gets the nod because he at least knows how to finish a try and can be handy getting the ball out of trouble.

As for the bench, to me it's so obvious that the best line-up would see Mitchell Dodds/Mitchell Garbutt come in for Kodi Nikorima that it hurts.
I would like to see Dodds get a go. From what was written a few weeks ago Oates will start the season in ISC so Dodds may replace him in the line up and Nikorima play

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Has Bennett said anything about a bench utility? I just can't see Oates missing out. That, or I don't want to see Oates miss out. He was the only back rower doing anything last year. And I'd like to think he's ahead of Maranta for a wing spot.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
from broncos site today:

"He (Bennett) just said there is a spot there if I want it - but I have to prove to him that I want it," said Nikorima.

"I have to work hard and get my attack and my defence right."

i'd love to see him earn the #14 jersey. would be great to get some x factor off the bench. looking forward to see him go around against wigan.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I'm concerned about Kodi being utility. It has nothing to do with him, though.

My concern is do we get rid of a second rower or a prop? If it's a prop, then that would surely mean that either Parker or Thaiday will be playing prop at some point and didn't we sign more props so they wouldn't have to play at prop? Unless Bennett plans on using McGuire or Blair for 80 minutes which doesn't strike me as a good idea.

If it's a backrower, then that would surely mean that one of them will be playing 80.. And that will more than likely be Thaiday.

I think if there is any benefit, it's a very small one. But I don't see any benefit.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Gillett, Thaiday and Parker (if playing lock) are all capable of long minutes, leaving room for a couple of props on the bench to rotate the front row, a second rower to give the starting second rowers a breather, and a utility (like Kodi) to inject some speed and versatility of the bench.

What worries me is Kodi's defense, especially if he comes in for Macca, and plays in the ruck...

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I'm concerned about Kodi being utility. It has nothing to do with him, though.

My concern is do we get rid of a second rower or a prop? If it's a prop, then that would surely mean that either Parker or Thaiday will be playing prop at some point and didn't we sign more props so they wouldn't have to play at prop? Unless Bennett plans on using McGuire or Blair for 80 minutes which doesn't strike me as a good idea.

If it's a backrower, then that would surely mean that one of them will be playing 80.. And that will more than likely be Thaiday.

I think if there is any benefit, it's a very small one. But I don't see any benefit.

Option C is Macca plays 80, and we have a bench of Utility, 2nd Rower, Prop, Prop.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Utility, 2nd Rower, Prop, Prop.

always thought this was the best way to set up a bench.

see no reason for having two "traditional" backrowers on teh bench.

your left and right edge forwards should be playing big minutes eg 60+.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
What worries me is Kodi's defense, especially if he comes in for Macca, and plays in the ruck...

that is obviously the biggest concern with kodi.

souths have done it with keary quite a bit, have they not?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Souths have, but then Keary is a different type of player who can afford to get his hands dirty.

Nikorima is all about what he can do with the ball in his hands.

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
Wasn't Barba let go because he couldn't even get a bench spot for the reason that he couldn't tackle? I like nikorima but how on earth is he going to be a better defender than Barba

I'm not saying I disagree with letting Barba go or that I argue with Bennett's tactics I just find it odd

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
He says that he needs to get his defence right to get the spot. Otherwise he won't get it.

Unread

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.