Broncos - 2015 Discussion

He says that he needs to get his defence right to get the spot. Otherwise he won't get it.

I did see that, hope he does because if we must have a utility on the bench then his speed and his ability to play anywhere in the spine will be a great asset

Nikorima isn't causing as much strain on our salary cap either.

Still want to see more of Parcell... Kodi doesn't strike me as a player with the work rate to perform well in the ruck.

Still want to see more of Parcell... Kodi doesn't strike me as a player with the work rate to perform well in the ruck.

I'm also a fan of Parcell but I think he's also a victim of the salary cap where Nikorima would be in the top 25 so they'd prefer to utilise their money

Barba seems slimer, quicker and more agile now than he was when he was with us.

Milford seems bulkier, a bit less quick and a bit less agile now he is with us than at the Raiders ...

hmmm, maybe the bulking program wasn't entirely Hooks (although he would have had to approve it) doing.

Barba seems slimer, quicker and more agile now than he was when he was with us.

Milford seems bulkier, a bit less quick and a bit less agile now he is with us than at the Raiders ...

hmmm, maybe the bulking program wasn't entirely Hooks (although he would have had to approve it) doing.

And Barba still did nothing but get driven back and carried the whole night.

Hodges is looking the goods at the moment. He looks ready to explode

This. Exactly this.

There is a reason that Milford is having some bulk added, because you need it if you are playing in the halves.

Stuff like this also highlights the reason that Bennett has 7 premierships and his legacy will be one of the greatest coaches the game has seen; while Shane Flanagans legacy will be peptides

He looked exactly the way he finished last season, fitter admittingly but still lacklustre, the issue is more then just weight.

He looked exactly the way he finished last season, fitter admittingly but still lacklustre, the issue is more then just weight.

And this is the issue with Barba. What he has produced for the last 2 years and what it seems like he will keep producing (I could be wrong) is fine, if he was gwtting paid $150k... but he's not

FTR, I was just using Barba and Milford as examples ...

Many people (admittedly myself included to some degree) were slamming Hook for his "bulking program", but it appears that club is still operating that program, and from memory, it has barely been mentioned because hook is no longer the coach.

my comment wasn't meant as a dig at Bennett, just an observation that this type of training isn't limited to hook.

I have also been of the opinion (and i think i mentioned it on here) that Milf was always going to be bulked up because he is now playing in the front line.

Many people (admittedly myself included to some degree) were slamming Hook for his "bulking program", but it appears that club is still operating that program, and from memory, it has barely been mentioned because hook is no longer the coach.

my comment wasn't meant as a dig at Bennett, just an observation that this type of training isn't limited to hook.

I have also been of the opinion (and i think i mentioned it on here) that Milf was always going to be bulked up because he is now playing in the front line.

That's where my problem lies with the criticism of the bulking program, admittingly it wasn't optimal for Barba but if the long term plan was for him to play 5/8th under Griffin he would have needed to, it's hard to say cause he started at fullback but was eventually moved to 5/8th, I felt that move was too little too late confidence wise. At times I felt it was used as too easily a convenient excuse to hide aspects of his game that he was clearly struggling with that you couldn't excuse or link to the weight program. I think his problems run deeper then just fitness.

I didn't think of it as a dig at Bennett at all foordy its definitely apart of the clubs system, but fullbacks who make the move to 5/8th generally(not always) have to bulk up, Lockyer did. Some can make the adjustment others can't, its far far too early to tell what effect it will have on him, but where he is at with hindsight comparing to where Barba has been at in the past two seasons both on and off the field, I'd back Milford to do better.

Barba can still find that 2012 form, but it's going to take more then fitness to do so.

Last edited:

It doesn't work because you're using an isolated example. Time and time again under Griffin all stories came out and from what we saw, players were bulking. Under Bennett there has already been a fair bit of information about players losing weight now, Vidot as one example, and if I'm not mistaken, Vidot even hinted at one point that he wanted to lose weight but wasn't allowed.

That I do agree with broncospwn, Bennett does view fitness in general as a serious aspect to a team's success, right from the start of the Broncos he introduced and made changes to get players who were used to playing in the brisbane competition upto scratch to the nswrl level and improve the clubs performance overall, for example brought in Peter Jackson to show them how to train, the infamous canungra runs, bringing the feared trainer Kelvin Giles into the club etc

Griffin seemed to have a bias more towards bulking across the board, I know it's too early to tell but you look at players like Hodges and Gillett and they look the fittest in ages, it's encouraging signs but again early days. Still you can get players as fit as you want them, but if they aren't in the right frame of mind both on and off the field nor willing to put in the hard work to get to the top it won't do you much good.

Last edited:
I thought Barba was quite ordinary last night beside the tackle on Dave Taylor. He didn't do that much and didn't play much of a part in the result. To me it doesn't matter how good a player is when you sign them, if the player isn't mentally up to it, physically up to it or isn't used properly by the coach they won't perform.

I thought Barba was quite ordinary last night beside the tackle on Dave Taylor. He didn't do that much and didn't play much of a part in the result. To me it doesn't matter how good a player is when you sign them, if the player isn't mentally up to it, physically up to it or isn't used properly by the coach they won't perform.

I thought nearly everyone was pretty ordinary with the usual suspects being the few notable exceptions. Hodges was terrific as was Thurston and Inglis, and I was very impressed with Moylan. I think singling out Barba is a bit unfair.

I thought nearly everyone was pretty ordinary with the usual suspects being the few notable exceptions. Hodges was terrific as was Thurston and Inglis, and I was very impressed with Moylan. I think singling out Barba is a bit unfair.

Well it is a Broncos forum so we are more likely to be interested in talking about current and ex-broncos.

But if it makes you happy... Barba was the most highly paid member of the handful of players that played like shit

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Jedhead
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • johnny plath
  • phoenix
  • jd87
  • Aldo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Scdeac
  • Confidor
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.