Broncos - 2015 Discussion

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Looks like Vidot has been doing some work ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 84
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I just hope he's declaring all of these social-media endorsements to the Salary Cap Auditor.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Am loving these recent articles in the press. Whenever I hear of a new rule Bennett has brought in it makes me wonder what it was like under the old regime. I know what's done is done and we need to look to the future etc but I can't help it.

One of my biggest criticisms of the side was that we don't seem to play like a team. More like groups of 3-4 committed individuals who are trying their best. There's no cohesion at all and it's not solely down to a poor game plan.

Look at sides like the Storm. That's a team and they play like one.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Am loving these recent articles in the press. Whenever I hear of a new rule Bennett has brought in it makes me wonder what it was like under the old regime. I know what's done is done and we need to look to the future etc but I can't help it.

One of my biggest criticisms of the side was that we don't seem to play like a team. More like groups of 3-4 committed individuals who are trying their best. There's no cohesion at all and it's not solely down to a poor game plan.

Look at sides like the Storm. That's a team and they play like one.

Look at any champion team:

Starting with the coach, and the on-field leader:

1. Everyone knows their role and is 100% committed to it;
2. Everything is built around, and begins and ends with the spine;
3. The right person is in the right place at the right time;
4. A few x-factors;

Hopefully Bennett will make it happen, for as you say, it hasn't at the Broncos for a long time.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...g-an-origin-spot/story-fnp0lyn6-1227209532975

JOSH McGuire will play through the pain barrier this season in his hopes of clinching a Queensland Origin jumper with the Broncos prop waging an ongoing battle with osteitis pubis.

Brisbane’s best prop last season, McGuire will launch his 2015 campaign on Saturday night when he partners new recruit Adam Blair up front in a trial against the Cowboys in Mackay.
But just a fortnight after inking an upgraded two-year contract, McGuire told The Courier-Mail he is battling the type of groin injury that once sidelined Maroons superstar Billy Slater.

The ailment, formally known as osteitis pubis, is an overuse injury that leads to inflammation and pain in the pelvic-groin region.

Underlining his toughness, for the past six months McGuire has secretly carried the injury, which can become so debilitating that performing a simple exercise like a sit-up is painful.
While Slater ultimately required surgery for the problem in 2005, McGuire is hopeful he can avoid an operation in his quest to break into the Origin arena this season.
McGuire was slated to appear in a charity fight night last week headlined by Sonny Bill Williams, but put his boxing dalliance on ice to safeguard an injury that could plague his 2015 season.
“At the moment, I’m trying to avoid surgery,” said McGuire, who made his boxing debut with the blessing of Broncos coach Wayne Bennett in December.

“I’m going to take things slowly, monitor the injury and hopefully it comes good.
“I was keen to fight the other day, but I have my training load at the Broncos and the osteitis pubis to think about.”
With diligent management, the condition generally heals within three months. McGuire is adamant he will be fit to face Souths in the season opener on March 5 and is wary of competition for front-row berths following Bennett’s recruitment of Blair, Mitch Garbutt and James Gavet.
“It’s a bit sore,” he said of the injury.
“It’s been affecting me since last season.
“I had a hernia operation two years ago and I thought it was another hernia but it was diagnosed as osteitis pubis. It’s pretty common in rugby league so as long as I look after it, I will be fine.
“It’s been a wear-and-tear issue from running.

“I’m modifying things a bit. I’m trying to recover from it with good rehab, I’m not doing as much turning at training, just more straight-line running.
“It tends to flare up a bit if I run too much, so hopefully it doesn’t affect me playing games.”
McGuire carried the Broncos’ engine room last season and is relishing the prospect of teaming with Kiwi Test prop Blair.
“Adam brings a different aspect to our game,” he said. “Every season is new and you have to start again and earn your spot
“His resume speaks for itself, he’s a very experienced first grader and has a lot of flair to his game. His ball skills will be a good asset to our forward pack so I’m excited about packing down with ‘Blairy’.”

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Same thing that's hampered Thaiday, not good.

U

Unbiased Nostalgia

NYC Player
Jan 23, 2015
That sucks about McGuire, I'd rather he'd have surgery instead so that he'll come back 100%. There's far more at stake here than an Origin jersey.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Just saw Sam down at the Gasworks in a singlet and shorts. He looked in pretty good shape. He is never going to be a player with rock hard abs and a chiseled body

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Thaiday won't be taking part in any trials by the sounds of it.

Mild calf strain.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
As harsh as it may sound, I'm genuinely hoping this is Sam's last season.. The constant leg injuries, the extra weight, the 35 minutes of laziness followed by 5 minutes of brilliance.. it's just not worth it any more.

It's time to retire and take up a full time role on the Footy Show I think, we need to find a way to get Oates into the rotation for 2016, can't risk losing him imo.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
As harsh as it may sound, I'm genuinely hoping this is Sam's last season.. The constant leg injuries, the extra weight, the 35 minutes of laziness followed by 5 minutes of brilliance.. it's just not worth it any more.

It's time to retire and take up a full time role on the Footy Show I think, we need to find a way to get Oates into the rotation for 2016, can't risk losing him imo.

I want Thaiday on the bench for ten minute bursts at the end of each half. Think he could pull that off well.

U

Unbiased Nostalgia

NYC Player
Jan 23, 2015
I don't know about that, unbreakable. I reckon he'll be around for plenty more years. Not disagreeing with you that he's been playing poorly as of late.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Sorta on topic.. Tallis is the new face of the Titans.

As long as Bennett's here he wont have anything to do with us :laugh:

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

I don't think Bennett will put up with his laziness.

He'll end up on the bench if he doesn't put in.

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
Going by media reports and the trial sides Bennett seems to be looking for a utility for the bench (Waddell, Parcel or Nikorima). Which means Oates will probably be in the Queensland cup because Glenn, Thaiday and Gillett won't be dropped. I'm just speculating though, who knows what Wayne is planning with him.

And it will be interesting to see if Copley plays in the centres. I think Bennett will go with Reed as he seems to like having a defensive centre. I wouldn't be against that because Milford, Gillett and Copley defending together is a bit of a worry.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
That sucks about McGuire, I'd rather he'd have surgery instead so that he'll come back 100%. There's far more at stake here than an Origin jersey.

I tend to agree but surgery should always be a last resort for any condition. The article says it should heal with proper management. Hopefully he can be close to 100%.

Unread

Active Now

• thenry
  • Jedhead
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • Scdeac
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.