Broncos - 2015 Discussion

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

• 10am - 10.30am
  • Nine
  • Morning

Host Mitch Lewis joins Brisbane's favourite football team to celebrate Corey Parker's milestone 300th game, and we go behind the scenes at the Auckland Nines.

Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
JUSTIN Hodges will be Brisbane’s fullback after all as Wayne Bennett unveils a rotation policy for the Broncos.
Hodges will be fullback in attack, right centre in defence, with Jordan Kahu to play fullback in defence and right centre in attack.
The ploy allows Brisbane to get the best out of Hodges’ body which struggles to cope with the running required of a full-time custodian.
The rotation policy will be first tested against South Sydney on Thursday night in a Suncorp Stadium blockbuster that will attract around 45,000 people.

Dale Copley will also interchange between left centre and left wing this season, with Jack Reed expected to defend at centre and attack on the wing during games.
In Brisbane’s opposed session with Ipswich on Saturday morning, Hodges chimed into the backline once the Broncos entered the Jets’ half but it was Kahu fielding bombs out the back, while Dale Copley often defended on the wing but attacked at centre.
In 2006 Bennett struck gold when he moved Hodges to fullback and he dominated the finals series as Brisbane won their sixth premiership.
When Bennett was Newcastle coach last season he saw first-hand how brilliant Hodges can be as a sweeping attacker when the veteran starred in Brisbane’s thrashing of Newcastle in round 24.
Bennett said he watched “something special” after Hodges made three try-assists and three line-break assists in the Broncos 48-6 smashing of the Knights.
Following that performance, Bennett said Hodges reminded him of Greg Inglis who for years was denied playing in the No.1 position.
“If Greg is on they are on and he and Justin are very similar,” he said.
“He has been a great centre but I always felt he had something special at fullback.”

Corey Oates appears to be the most high-profile player to miss out on the Broncos round one team.
Oates is expected to start the season with the Central Capras in the Intrust Super Cup.
He is viewed as a winger at the Broncos as the 20-year-old doesn’t have the stamina to play long minutes as a forward.
Bennett will name his team on Tuesday afternoon and Kodi Nikorima is the preferred interchange utility.
Nikorima was sharp out of dummy-half in the Broncos’ World Club Series clash with Wigan when he replaced Andrew McCullough.
He played a similar role against Ipswich, and brings speed to the ruck that will suit the new play-the-ball interpretations.
If McCullough is viewed as an 80 minute player then rangy centre Aaron Whitchurch will likely be on the bench.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...entre-in-defence/story-fniabjcr-1227243799044

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I think this is our strongest possible side that in my opinion is what we will be seeing latest in the year:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Maguire
9. McCollough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt
17. Gillett / Offa

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If Bennett is going to use Hodges in attack at fullback, wouldn't it be better just to put Maranta at the back in defense and Kahu on the wing?

I have more faith in Maranta.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Well.. that's interesting..

I'm not a massive fan of this rotating between positions in attack and defence junk, but Wayne has probably figured out the best positions for everyone.

Hodges is a great Fullback but he's old and can't catch or defend, so having Kahu at the back in defense covers that.. Copley is a weapon in attack at Left Centre but a liability in defense, now Reed can cover that.. Let's hope this works, it's either going to be amazing or absolutely horrific.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think this is our strongest possible side that in my opinion is what we will be seeing latest in the year:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Vidot
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Maguire
9. McCollough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Gavet
16. Garbutt
17. Gillett / Offa

I would have Kahu on one of those wings.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Hope we don't get found out on a turnover(dropped ball) when Hodges and Kahu are trying to switch back

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Awesome move, Hunt/Milford/Hodges are going to be a nightmare for opposition teams. I can't wait.

Also if Waddell isn't named, surely a few Bennett critics have to give him credit for willing to name a rookie in the utility spot, even if knowing Bennett, he'll only get 10 minutes per game to warm him to first grade.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
even if knowing Bennett, he'll only get 10 minutes per game to warm him to first grade.

i am fine with that in the case of nikorima. macca is capable of the big minutes so he can pick and choose when to inject nikorima into the game and get him used to first grade. there may be the odd game where niko isnt really suited but thats much more ok than griffin sitting jarrod wallace on the bench for 80 mins.

Behold

Behold

BRL Player
Jun 13, 2012
I don't like the idea of Hodges and Kahu switching all game. I think if Bennett wants to use Hodges as a playmaker he would better off playing Hodges at 5/8th and moving Milford to fullback.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i think as danoz said it will mostly just be kahu at the back but when we are attacking hodges will chime in where he sees fit - like he did last year as well as in the WCC when he put maranta in teh corner.

to me it just opens up our scoring potential as well as gives the defense a bit more to think about if hodges is getting more involved.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don't like the idea of Hodges and Kahu switching all game. I think if Bennett wants to use Hodges as a playmaker he would better off playing Hodges at 5/8th and moving Milford to fullback.

Totally my first thought.

All this stuffing around with the lineup during the game seems crazy. We just bought the most exciting fullback in the game!!
if you really wanna move players around midgame, why not just let milford be the fb in defence and move him back to 6 in attack

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Footy players are dumb but not as dumb as some of you think. It's not that complicated for Kahu and Hidges to swap in defence/attack.

When the other team has the ball you stand there when we have the ball stand here. I don't know what the negatives are? Hodges and Kahu aren't going to bumping in to each other both trying to defuse bombs out of confusion.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Footy players are dumb but not as dumb as some of you think. It's not that complicated for Kahu and Hidges to swap in defence/attack.

When the other team has the ball you stand there when we have the ball stand here. I don't know what the negatives are? Hodges and Kahu aren't going to bumping in to each other both trying to defuse bombs out of confusion.

Yeah Kahu just has to take a few steps forward and Hodges has to take a few steps back. Reed and Copley just have to move sideways. Oh man, the idea is just confusing me so much!

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.