Broncos - 2015 Discussion

I would like to think that Hodges would play this role regardless of who was at fullback and I like it because it creates an element of unpredictability that's necessary to score points.

The biggest problem with the Broncos is that they lacked the formation and the talent to put the defence in two minds. If the defence knows what's coming, it's really just a matter of commitment and the defence is always going to have the upper hand since they can anticipate passes and so on.

By doing something out of the ordinary, you can catch them off guard and have the best of both worlds.

The only issue is that if the Broncos make a mistake, the defence can catch the Broncos out with a quick spread to the right and create all sorts of problems. That's what happened against Wigan, where Hodges put through a grubber on the last and as he was making his way back to centre, the Warriors chose to spread it and caught him out. In order to fix that, the Broncos are going to have to be more selective and in a situation like that, trust one of their playmakers to come up with the play and focus on defence.

Footy players are dumb but not as dumb as some of you think. It's not that complicated for Kahu and Hidges to swap in defence/attack.

When the other team has the ball you stand there when we have the ball stand here. I don't know what the negatives are? Hodges and Kahu aren't going to bumping in to each other both trying to defuse bombs out of confusion.

Yeah thinking the same thing. While the attack vs defence is not as segregated as the NFL, where it's basically an entirely new team, in the NRL they are still entirely different components. You already change formation from attack to defence.

The only thing that worries me about the Copley-reed thing is that copley is going to be the one fielding the kicks. Unless reed defends in Centre then drops back when it's time for them to kick? but that's probably too much of a work load for 1 guy.

I would like to think that Hodges would play this role regardless of who was at fullback and I like it because it creates an element of unpredictability that's necessary to score points.

The biggest problem with the Broncos is that they lacked the formation and the talent to put the defence in two minds. If the defence knows what's coming, it's really just a matter of commitment and the defence is always going to have the upper hand since they can anticipate passes and so on.

By doing something out of the ordinary, you can catch them off guard and have the best of both worlds.

The only issue is that if the Broncos make a mistake, the defence can catch the Broncos out with a quick spread to the right and create all sorts of problems. That's what happened against Wigan, where Hodges put through a grubber on the last and as he was making his way back to centre, the Warriors chose to spread it and caught him out. In order to fix that, the Broncos are going to have to be more selective and in a situation like that, trust one of their playmakers to come up with the play and focus on defence.

Even in that case, Hodges had him covered, he just tried to shepherd him towards the sideline and was burnt by the winger's deceptive speed.

But you're right, it's the unpredictability. That ball that Hodges threw to Maranta to put him over was all class. And on the surface it appears that he can do it a lot easier than even the most seasoned playmakers, and while he is good, it's the fact that the defence isn't ready for it that makes it look so easy.

Even in that case, Hodges had him covered, he just tried to shepherd him towards the sideline and was burnt by the winger's deceptive speed.

He would have had a better shot if he didn't have to run from one side of the field to the other.

The Broncos weren't numbered up, which is why Vidot tried to shut it down.

IMO, Hodgo showed him the outside on purpose because we were shorter on the inside and he took it. If Hodgo jammed out and gave him the inside it would been defused.

Pity for Burgess it was 1-5 good v bad plays for the night.

For 2015, we've got to close games out better than that.

Doesn't matter that Hunt, Hodges and Milford might score 30 points a game for us. We've got to finish off, which we failed to do versus Wigan in a 2014-typical performance.

Doesn't matter that Hunt, Hodges and Milford might score 30 points a game for us. We've got to finish off, which we failed to do versus Wigan in a 2014-typical performance.

Yeah that was my main gripe with that game. But since it was a trial, they can rectify that and Bennet didn't care about the result in that game.

For 2015, we've got to close games out better than that.

I disagree with this.. we struggled to score points all game because our attack wasn't gelling. This is why we didn't win in regulation time. Wasn't like wigan defended well, we just didn't trouble them at all.

If we score 30 points, the defense we displayed would easily close out games, just we couldn't score points. Ben Hunt was quiet because he wanted to focus less on his regular attacking game, but focus on the areas in his game which he struggles with. And as we saw, he needs to keep working on it because his kicking game was shite.

Last edited:
I disagree with this.. we struggled to score points all game because our attack wasn't gelling. This is why we didn't win in regulation time. Wasn't like wigan defended well, we just didn't trouble them at all.

If we score 30 points, the defense we displayed would easily close out games, just we couldn't score points. Ben Hunt was quiet because he wanted to focus less on his regular attacking game, but focus on the areas in his game which he struggles with. And as we saw, he needs to keep working on it because his kicking game was shite.

Did you by chance notice the weather and field conditions?

Personally I'm actually glad we got a hard slog match against Wigan rather then a touch game and for the most part I was happy with our performance, more so as the match went on, it was disappointing that we let that last try in and some will compare that to us from 2014 not being able to put teams away but if your fair minded during the match our defence (particularly scramble) was probably the strongest thing we could take out of the match. I also thought the forwards did a good job, particularly in the conditions to hold their own. We probably should have scored more points but I would put that down more limited game time in the off season prior to the match, the absence of some strike power players, and combinations in our spine being built. To have any real feel of where we are at it will take 5 rounds minimum IMO.

As for Hunt he had a quiet pre-season in 2014 and it wasn't until after a few rounds into the competition did you really start to see him step up so I'm not concerned in that respect.

1 Justin hodges
2 Daniel vidot
3 Corey oates
4 dale copley
5 Jordan kahu

I think I'd like to see this back line until Boyd is back

And I think that's where the likes of Milford, McCullough and even Hodges have to come in, too much load on Hunt last season for last tackle options and general kick play, it gave the opposition too many opportunities to shut down or pressure Hunt in those situations, McCullough for needs to show more willingness to kick from dummy half and Milford needs to ask questions of the opposition defence too. We can't just have Hunt putting up bombs expecting something to happen.

1 Justin hodges
2 Daniel vidot
3 Corey oates
4 dale copley
5 Jordan kahu

I think I'd like to see this back line until Boyd is back

Personally I'm happy for Hodges to be at fullback in attack, but not keen defensively, his shown to be suspect under the high ball in recent years and I don't think he has as much metres in him these days in kick returns, by all means have him there in the opposition's half but getting out of our half, centre or even 5/8th for him. Vidot and Oates on the wing, perhaps even Reed if it keeps Maranta out.

I'm happy for Hodges to be given "free roaming" in attack on ad-hoc occasions, regardless of whom plays fullback, but I don't think it would be smart at all to give him the full time gig there.

Bennett has had months to decide on his gameplan since Boyd was injured. I would imagine that his methods are sophisticated enough to allow a handful of players to switch position every few minutes.

Looking at the Wigan game, he has decided to let Hodges roam and also has been practising with forwards off loading in the middle with Milford and Maranta trailing through to take the pass. Milford got one from McGuire and Blair with one of those occasions Maranta trailing Milford but Milford spilled as he was offloading. Interesting as this was Maranta's stand out feature when he played fullback in the U20s. Wonder if Kahu had gone to wing on that play???

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.