Broncos 2020 Squad

NRL Player
I will get murdered for this....... However this dawned on me. Boyd is only on 400 next year (reported). If he can have a decent year on the wing and not stink it up while helping to bring the young boys into experience with knowledge and a rotating roster....it could benefit us long term. He would certainly be able to teach them something football wise from experience before he retires.

Even if he plays SOME ISC or sits out a week or two here and there to bring on the young guys - i can live with this and see benefits to getting value out of our 700k. Have to turn it into gold somehow.

Last edited:

Thelmus

NRL Player
Not sure the rest of the board realizes all these guys were raving sexual deviants.
[/QUO
a bench of Flegler, Glenn and Ofahengaue offers little to no impact ... none of them are explosive players like TPJ.

and if we need someone to come on and either lift the intensity or maintain our current momentum, then TPJ is much better at doing that than Glenn is...

besides, IMO, it is better having TPJ come on against tired players, rather than have his impact blunted by starting.

start TPJ and all of our explosive/impact players are in the starting side, with not much of that on the bench ... that is unbalanced.

people need to get out of the mindset of thinking it is a 13 man game ... it is a 17 man game and having the bench right is vitally important to a teams success ...

even if TPJ starts from the bench, there is no rule saying we can't still play him for 50-60 mins
This. There is also the fact that TPJ can be found wanting in defence and this is negated partly if he is coming on fresh against tired players.
Also looking at squads people are playing staggs off the bench. Would this means he slots into the centre and gives bird/oates a go at 2nd row? Im pretty certain we need to rest fifita during the game. I'd be interested which of those two would be preferred to play it.
Im quite keen to see how bird would go amongst the forwards personally as he could really be dangerous coming into the role late match, with his game presence, offloads etc. On the other hand Oates will eventually end up there anyway and can keep momentum going with quick play-the-balls.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
I dont think people who are picking Perese on the right wing have seen him play much. He is very much a player who likes the left side. The right wing is a straight shoot out between Boyd, Farnworth and Kahu imo, and maybe Issako if he stinks it up at fullback. Possibly Arthars as well.

As it stands, i think the team Seibs will pick for round one ( not the team i'd pick ) is going to be. I dont think its going to matter too much on how they go in the trials, which i think is a worry.

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Bird
4 Staggs
5 Boyd
6 Milf
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 Glenn
12 Fifita
13 TPJ

14 Macca
15 Flegler
16 Joffa
17 Carrigan
out of interet, what team would you pick ...

for me the only change to that side that i would make would be to swap Carrigan and TPJ

Morepudding

NRL Player
Broncos posted a story on socials and it shows at appears to be Xavier Coates still having absolutely no idea how to defend. Don't think we will see much of him in 2020.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
out of interet, what team would you pick ...

for me the only change to that side that i would make would be to swap Carrigan and TPJ
1 Bird
2 Oates
3 Perese/Boyd/Arthars
4 Staggs
5 Farnworth
6 Milford
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 TPJ
12 Fifita
13 Carrigan

14 Macca
15 Joffa
16 Flegler
17 Glenn

I think we have a real weakness at left center tbh, so despite the team I picked, I'd probably have to play Bird there and Issako fullback.

Bronco bob

NYC Player
Broncos posted a story on socials and it shows at appears to be Xavier Coates still having absolutely no idea how to defend. Don't think we will see much of him in 2020.
I agree that it didn't look great but in his defense, it was 2 on one and in that case, the defending winger will always take the attacking centre. Not too much else he could do with his inside defender stuck on the passer.

Morepudding

NRL Player
I agree that it didn't look great but in his defense, it was 2 on one and in that case, the defending winger will always take the attacking centre. Not too much else he could do with his inside defender stuck on the passer.
I dunno, he was in no mans land, ran in and wasn't in a position to tackle anyone. Bloke is the worst defender I think I have seen play NRL. Boyd might miss all his tackles and take a knee, but he is at least in the right spot where he should have made the tackle.
Post automatically merged:

He was running with his back towards the attacking team and did a little balarina twirl lol.

Last edited:

ostin86

QCup Player
1 Bird
2 Oates
3 Perese/Boyd/Arthars
4 Staggs
5 Farnworth
6 Milford
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 TPJ
12 Fifita
13 Carrigan

14 Macca
15 Joffa
16 Flegler
17 Glenn

I think we have a real weakness at left center tbh, so despite the team I picked, I'd probably have to play Bird there and Issako fullback.
No room for Jamayne Wolfie Wolfie?

Last edited:

john1420

NRL Player
I dont think people who are picking Perese on the right wing have seen him play much. He is very much a player who likes the left side. The right wing is a straight shoot out between Boyd, Farnworth and Kahu imo, and maybe Issako if he stinks it up at fullback. Possibly Arthars as well.

As it stands, i think the team Seibs will pick for round one ( not the team i'd pick ) is going to be. I dont think its going to matter too much on how they go in the trials, which i think is a worry.

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Bird
4 Staggs
5 Boyd
6 Milf
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 Glenn
12 Fifita
13 TPJ

14 Macca
15 Flegler
16 Joffa
17 Carrigan
TBF thought Wolfie Wolfie that's not a bad line up.

Yes, there is a question mark hanging over the 5 and 14 but overall this team should compete.

McHunt

NRL Captain
Sunshine Coast
1 Bird
2 Oates
3 Perese/Boyd/Arthars
4 Staggs
5 Farnworth
6 Milford
7 Croft
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 TPJ
12 Fifita
13 Carrigan

14 Macca
15 Joffa
16 Flegler
17 Glenn

So an injury in the halves and we're back to Macca at 9 and Turpin at 7. God help us.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
No room for Jamayne Wolfie Wolfie?
I honestly think once he got used to playing there, Bird would be a better option than Issako. I've never thought Issako will ever be a really good fullback, more just a solid, functional option which actually could be all we need right now. Dont personally think Issako has the tools to be a really good player at fullback, hopefully, he will have kicked on a bit though and added more to his game. I think he will play fullback with Bird at center because it will probably make our team stronger overall.

I think we could actually do with just a solid center there for the next year or two to see how Perese or Coates kick on so we can move Bird somewhere he can get on the ball more.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
So an injury in the halves and we're back to Macca at 9 and Turpin at 7. God help us.
Not really. Dearden, and eventually SoS or even Paix at 7 should be our options this year. They can all cover 6 as well.

Macca at hooker doesnt really worry me if he is our backup hooker unless its a long term injury to Turpin. As a stop gap he will go a solid enough job. I'm not as convinced yet Turpin will be our long term hooker either tbh. He rightly has received a lot of praise for what he does mainly because he is all effort and he is a fantastic competitor. He need to take the next step and play hooker probably for 50-60 mins a game consistently this year. If he cant do that i'm not sure what we do.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
I know lots of us are over the preseason puff pieces in the media but there’s a pretty good story about Carrigan on nrl.com. Unfortunately I don’t know how to post them.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I know lots of us are over the preseason puff pieces in the media but there’s a pretty good story about Carrigan on nrl.com. Unfortunately I don’t know how to post them.
Just copy and paste the link.

If it's from NRL.com then the full article can't be posted just yet but you can copy and paste the link.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
I know Kahu's unexpected return partially contributed to this but our depth this year looks decidedly heavy on the backline players and light on forwards. If a forward goes down we only have Kennedy and Hopoate to bring in (Palasia won't be available for the bulk of this year). Meanwhile, if someone from 1-5 goes down we can draw on Kahu, Coates, Farnworth, Arthars, Perese, Kennar and Vudogo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nerd

Twitter