Broncos 2020 Squad

I would play TPJ like we used to play Tallis start him then give him a long break before bringing him back on
It's a nice thought, but Tallis played in an era where Interchanges were far more plentiful, and in some instances were even unlimited. It's hard to see a modern side with 8 Interchanges being able to afford 2 interchanges for a guy who is realistically a Backrower.

It's definitely not sustainable as a plan long term either given the Interchanges are likely to shrink even further at some stage.

Last edited:
Except against the Cows - he's gotta start and go after Lolo. Love that contest.
IYd start
It's a nice thought, but Tallis played in an era where Interchanges were far more plentiful, and in some instances were even unlimited. It's hard to see a modern side with 8 Interchanges being able to afford 2 interchanges for a guy who is realistically a Backrower.

It's definitely not sustainable as a plan long term either given the Interchanges are likely to shrink even further at some stage.
Fair point. That may not be possible. I guess it depends on how we use the interchange. And you are probably right in that it isn't practical. I just like TPJ starting. I like his aggression early and he is a sneaky chance for a first try near post.

So Bongo is leaning towards TPJ - who will be the Broncos first try scorer for 2020? (Round One).

Hard to go past Oates, but maybe Haas monstering his way over under the posts.

In today's Courier Mail, Paul Crawley singles out Coates as one to watch:

XAVIER COATES (Brisbane)

"He’s 194cm tall, weighs 100kg and flies through the air like a young Israel Folau. After his debut in that wonderful baby Broncos win over Cronulla, you would imagine Xavier Coates is giving Anthony Seibold pre-season nightmares. Not because the kid they call “Little Inglis” isn’t something very special. The issue is how Seibold can find a place for Coates and Darius Boyd in the same backline. Word out of Red Hill is Jamayne Isaako will play fullback, while Corey Oates is a certainty for one wing spot. However, Coates can’t be left waiting in the wings for too much longer."

Last edited:
So Bongo is leaning towards TPJ - who will be the Broncos first try scorer for 2020? (Round One).

Hard to go past Oates, but maybe Haas monstering his way over under the posts.
First Try scorer has looked like this over the last couple of years:

2019-
Opposition scored first try 15 Occasions Broncos on 10 occasions (Including the semi where we did not trouble the scorers)

Of the 10, Oates scored 3, Staggs and Milford 2, and 1 each for Gillett, Coates, Haas.

Oates scored the Broncos first try (Not first try of the game) on 3 other occasions, Gillett, Fifita and Staggs 2 times .

2018-
Opposition scored first try 11 Occasions Broncos on 14 occasions (Including the semi)

Of the 14, Oates scored 6, Isaako and TPJ 2, and 1 each for Roberts, Boyd, Nikorima, Fifita

Oates scored the Broncos first try (Not first try of the game) on 3 occasions, Macca 3 Occasions ( All late in games when we were being beaten comprehensively), Roberts 2 times and one each for TPJ Boyd and Sims

My Take-Aways

1. Broncos are not the best side in scoring the first try. Last year they were particularly bad.
2. Oates scores the most first tries but tends to score them at the start and end of the seasons and in runs.
3. TPJ when starts is a chance for an early try. Both his tries in 2018 were in the first 4 minutes. In 2019 he struggled to score them from the stands.
4. If Milford's running game improves (and with the addition of Croft) he is worth considering for first tries. Staggs is also a consideration and seems to be getting better and the same argument could be made for Fifita to a lesser extent.

My very un-expert advice would be to bet on Oates for first try early in the season.
Staggs, Milford and Fifita offer a bit of value, particularly in the middle of the season. Milford can take time to warm up/ get fit. Isaako from fullback also intrigues me a little

If TPJ starts he's not a bad longshot bet. If you bet on him when named on the bench he can be even better value if he ends up starting starting. Bennett swaped him in late a few times but Siebold not so much. I got on TPJ in 2018 when he was a late swap for Glenn. My theory was no tries would be scored between Broncos and Cronulla early in the game so he was worth the punt from the bench. In reality, he was swapped into the side and scored early. I was very, very lucky!!!

There are very little gambling stats for NRL. NRL stats are pretty ordinary in general. Only the Supercoach stats are any good but they don't translate that well for general gambling.You kinda have to put them together yourself.

In any case, first try bets are a lottery at best. When Folau was here you could pretty much bet on him every week and do okay but that was a long time ago.

I have got on Boyd Cordner for first try a few times and won. Rep games in particular. However, it sometimes means betting against Queensland, which I don't mind doing but others may be more morally opposed. It does reduce the enjoyment of getting it right.

Last edited:
First Try scorer has looked like this over the last couple of years:

2019-
Opposition scored first try 15 Occasions Broncos on 10 occasions (Including the semi where we did not trouble the scorers)

Of the 10, Oates scored 3, Staggs and Milford 2, and 1 each for Gillett, Coates, Haas.

Oates scored the Broncos first try (Not first try of the game) on 3 other occasions, Gillett, Fifita and Staggs 2 times .

2018-
Opposition scored first try 11 Occasions Broncos on 14 occasions (Including the semi)

Of the 14, Oates scored 6, Isaako and TPJ 2, and 1 each for Roberts, Boyd, Nikorima, Fifita

Oates scored the Broncos first try (Not first try of the game) on 3 occasions, Macca 3 Occasions ( All late in games when we were being beaten comprehensively), Roberts 2 times and one each for TPJ Boyd and Sims

My Take-Aways

1. Broncos are not the best side in scoring the first try. Last year they were particularly bad.
2. Oates scores the most first tries but tends to score them at the start and end of the seasons and in runs.
3. TPJ when starts is a chance for an early try. Both his tries in 2018 were in the first 4 minutes. In 2019 he struggled to score them from the stands.
4. If Milford's running game improves (and with the addition of Croft) he is worth considering for first tries. Staggs is also a consideration and seems to be getting better and the same argument could be made for Fifita to a lesser extent.

My very un-expert advice would be to bet on Oates for first try early in the season.
Staggs, Milford and Fifita offer a bit of value, particularly in the middle of the season. Milford can take time to warm up/ get fit. Isaako from fullback also intrigues me a little

If TPJ starts he's not a bad longshot bet. If you bet on him when named on the bench he can be even better value if he ends up starting starting. Bennett swaped him in late a few times but Siebold not so much. I got on TPJ in 2018 when he was a late swap for Glenn. My theory was no tries would be scored between Broncos and Cronulla early in the game so he was worth the punt from the bench. In reality, he was swapped into the side and scored early. I was very, very lucky!!!

There are very little gambling stats for NRL. NRL stats are pretty ordinary in general. Only the Supercoach stats are any good but they don't translate that well for general gambling.You kinda have to put them together yourself.

In any case, first try bets are a lottery at best. When Folau was here you could pretty much bet on him every week and do okay but that was a long time ago.

I have got on Boyd Cordner for first try a few times and won. Rep games in particular. However, it sometimes means betting against Queensland, which I don't mind doing but others may be more morally opposed. It does reduce the enjoyment of getting it right.

Here is something you don't need stats for, Oates excels the first 10 rounds of the year, gets picked for origin, bludges for the next 10 rounds and sometimes comes good at the back end of the season for try scoring.

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Boyd
4 Bird
5 Coates

14 Staggs

[emoji52]

I'm not sure when the last time the team/squad was updated on the Broncos website, but Alex Glenn isn't listed at all. 😕

If Staggs gets snubbed for Boyd, he should walk away from the club and I would not blame him.

Milf for first try scorer then Isaako. We gonna pile em on this year so everyone's gonna get a piece.

Fifi running an angle out wide after a clever outside - inside pass from Milf

Last edited:
I’m tired of dreaming tbh. Time for Milf to step up or ship out.

Not much else to do in the off season .. other than whetting the appetite

LOL nice gee up.
Not a gee up....

I can actually seriously see this happening now.

Boyd can't play wing. He'd have to play centre. Left centre is where he has been training..

Boyd has that pass to Oates on his left as a play to use.

Oates will stay on the left.

Bird prefers left centre. Will get the best out of his price tag on the left.

Coates is having a good off season and the way he scored that try and almost try last year (on the right wing) - with new rule change - Coates is front runner

Katoni. Yes he was a revelation last year at centre. . He's also shown he has utility value playing halfback in an international and I believe he's played Fullback too.

Staggs has the energy and just in your face hard scrap for everything mentality that he could make a decent stick of it off the bench in a roving / interchange role similar to the way we all thought Bird might be able to.

But IMO this is a win win for all the headaches.

Give Boyd the chance to prove himself whether that be to deserve a spot or prove he's a busted arse truly.. then make the switch if need be.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
  • westy316
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Matheos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.