NEWS Broncos flyer Corey Oates says he wants to stay in Brisbane

Not looking for a compliment, just looking for you not to be an ass an put others down who hold different views to you.

Re: your Strawman claim, you wrote it off as luck, others prefer to look deeper. That is why it is being discussed - at length, in this thread, for multiple posts. No strawman here, sorry, swing and a miss.

So we're clear here, we are two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league... we'll I guess we're both fucked.

Although, what you are actually reaching for here but not quite grasping, is "effective use of time" not "smart". Lots of smart people are ineffective at use of time and lots of dumb people are either intentionally or unintentionally effective with their use of time. Intelligence and effective use of time are not correlated. So lucky for us, there's a chance we aren't dumb then.

My point is, don't claim superiority based on your view point. Are WE clear?
So we're clear here, we are two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league... we'll I guess we're both fucked. That's your words. This is a strawman argument. We aren't arguing I think, rather we are discussing an issue. I've never said that discussing rugby league is a waste of time. That's why it's setting up something to knock it down. More enlightened people, perhaps you too simply don't waste their time on spilled milk, you cannot unfuck that woman so to speak. Intelligent people are much more likely to make better use of their time but that's an irrelevance anyway. I am not claiming superiority based on my point of view, it exists independently! :)

So we're clear here, we are two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league... we'll I guess we're both fucked. That's your words. This is a strawman argument. We aren't arguing I think, rather we are discussing an issue. I've never said that discussing rugby league is a waste of time. That's why it's setting up something to knock it down. More enlightened people, perhaps you too simply don't waste their time on spilled milk, you cannot unfuck that woman so to speak. Intelligent people are much more likely to make better use of their time but that's an irrelevance anyway. I am not claiming superiority based on my point of view, it exists independently! :)

I don't think you understand what a strawman is? I am using your argument and following it through to a conclusion that you don't like? That is not the definition of a strawman.

You stated: "What I think the smarter person does is not waste time on useless pursuits or musings."

To which I pointed out the flaw in your assessment: "So we're clear here, we are two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league... we'll I guess we're both fucked."

That is LITERALLY what you are playing at, you just are not seeing it through to the conclusion. That 'superiority' exists independently of reality too it seems.

I don't think you understand what a strawman is? I am using your argument and following it through to a conclusion that you don't like? That is not the definition of a strawman.

You stated: "What I think the smarter person does is not waste time on useless pursuits or musings."

To which I pointed out the flaw in your assessment: "So we're clear here, we are two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league... we'll I guess we're both fucked."

That is LITERALLY what you are playing at, you just are not seeing it through to the conclusion. That 'superiority' exists independently of reality too it seems.
Err, pretty sure I described what a strawman argument is, you know where you take a statement I didn't make, declare it to be my view and then knock it down. Think I got it champion. Smarter people usually don't waste time and because of that, you win. You are todays world wide winner of the Internet.

Err, pretty sure I described what a strawman argument is, you know where you take a statement I didn't make, declare it to be my view and then knock it down. Think I got it champion. Smarter people usually don't waste time and because of that, you win. You are todays world wide winner of the Internet.

So for you to be correct, is it your conjecture that two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league is NOT a waste time on useless pursuits or musings?

The only correct answer answer here for you would be that it is not. Else, it cannot be a strawman.

Goodluck with rationalising that one.

So for you to be correct, is it your conjecture that two people arguing on the internet, discussing rugby league is NOT a waste time on useless pursuits or musings?

The only correct answer answer here for you would be that it is not. Else, it cannot be a strawman.

Goodluck with rationalising that one.
Ok, one last try. Please just read the words and take them at face value. Discussing rugby league is not a waste of time for me as I find it pleasurable. Simple. A waste of time is discussing how much value we got from a player who was injured, didn't play or caring about something that you cannot change nor can you get back. If you derive pleasure or whatever, fine. Please enjoy.

Ok, one last try. Please just read the words and take them at face value. Discussing rugby league is not a waste of time for me as I find it pleasurable. Simple. A waste of time is discussing how much value we got from a player who was injured, didn't play or caring about something that you cannot change nor can you get back. If you derive pleasure or whatever, fine. Please enjoy.

Then simply avoid such discussions - taking a snipe at people doing so is what got us here.

Isn't he, like TPJ, holding off on signing due to a change of managers? I thought that was a major part of why he hadn't signed.
I think that wait is actually over for Oates and now I believe he's in the process of sorting out his side and waiting for the Broncos to put their bid in for his services. I'd imagine it's happening as we speak. I don't know when TPJ can start his process.

@Huge and @Skathen , now that we all learned the meaning of a strawman, can we move on to the actual topic? Thanks!
Late to the party again Porthoz. We had finished already. Thanks Dad.

Can we sign this guy to replace Oates?

Like Roberts around Mitchell. The porky cop he overtook stayed in the hunt but he was only keeping pace with the bad guy but supercop nailed him beautifully. One of those moments you wish someone got on film and **** me they did this time. He'll be showing it to his grandkids.

Fair dinkum, it won't be Bird preventing anything and why one player is being constantly singled out is beyond me. Sims is off next year and the money saved, 200-300 k can be put into an Oates upgrade. Why not say it's the money we are allegedly giving Sean O'Sullivan to sign on that's going to cost us Oates ? We are also saving Thaiday's money and possibly a few others. If you want to blame someone blame the bloke from England who gave us even less than Bird, nevermind that both blokes had no influence on the circumstances.

Bird is being singled out because he didn’t need to be bought as I’ve said before. Bought on presumably big coin for no specific positions when needed a halfback and maybe a hooker far more. Then showed up way over playing weight. (Sternum doesn’t make u put food in mouth or prevent u string on an exercise bike). Then played terribly. In retrospect we now know injury contributed to this but reality is regardless of fault it was a bad buy at the time that turned into a terrible buy in retrospect.

It’s not retrospect to say could have kept arrow and chased a half decent halfback with his coin this year or next.

Doubt the Englishman is on that much and was clearly bought with a purpose for playing in the backrow.

For me isn’t about blaming Bird but instead those that made the decision to recruit him. And not even against buying Bird if it was right price (can’t know) and with a good plan where there is some hope of getting money’s worth cause it won’t be as a centre and big risk if for a position he hasn’t played.

Bird is being singled out because he didn’t need to be bought as I’ve said before. Bought on presumably big coin for no specific positions when needed a halfback and maybe a hooker far more. Then showed up way over playing weight. (Sternum doesn’t make u put food in mouth or prevent u string on an exercise bike). Then played terribly. In retrospect we now know injury contributed to this but reality is regardless of fault it was a bad buy at the time that turned into a terrible buy in retrospect.

It’s not retrospect to say could have kept arrow and chased a half decent halfback with his coin this year or next.

Doubt the Englishman is on that much and was clearly bought with a purpose for playing in the backrow.

For me isn’t about blaming Bird but instead those that made the decision to recruit him. And not even against buying Bird if it was right price (can’t know) and with a good plan where there is some hope of getting money’s worth cause it won’t be as a centre and big risk if for a position he hasn’t played.

I'm still pretty positive we bought Bird in to play lock, so we did have a position in mind for him

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • jarro65
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rambstien
  • Big Del
  • Battler
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Jedhead
  • Financeguy
  • BroncsNBundy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.