NEWS Broncos flyer Corey Oates says he wants to stay in Brisbane

After watching Radley yesterday, I'd love to have a tough ball playing lock like that. But I think TPJ could easily do that too, if he works on his passing a bit more. In fact I'd be surprised if Bird could even come anywhere close to TPJ if he did that.

Last edited:
I'm still pretty positive we bought Bird in to play lock, so we did have a position in mind for him

As said a position he has never played, had a good lock in arrow who would have surely required a fraction of the coin. Besides an expensive ball playing lock is a luxury when at the time we were struggling for front row power and dependent on lock muscling as another prop something Bird can’t do (hell was dependant on Oates from the wing for this). With 2 big boppers and a good power second rower Bird could work as lock but unproven and we don’t have a real power second rower (fit and seasoned yet at least) to offset lack of go forward from Bird at lock. And is WB going to go Walker boys and just throw the pill around all day with what at the time was a smallish pack with Bird at lock?

Things are different now obviously. If keep TPJ and young blokes don’t get second year syndrome have a relatively big pack with no real space for Bird in the forwards. Leaves 9,6,4, bench or parramatta....

After watching Radley yesterday, I'd love to have a tough ball playing lock like that. But I think TPJ could easily do that too, if he works on his passing a bit more. In fact I'd be surprised if Bird could even come anywhere close to TPJ if he did that.

TPJ already has a great offload and he can pass so he only needs to play his own game really and not be controlled like I believe WB is doing to him now.

As said a position he has never played, had a good lock in arrow who would have surely required a fraction of the coin. Besides an expensive ball playing lock is a luxury when at the time we were struggling for front row power and dependent on lock muscling as another prop something Bird can’t do (hell was dependant on Oates from the wing for this). With 2 big boppers and a good power second rower Bird could work as lock but unproven and we don’t have a real power second rower (fit and seasoned yet at least) to offset lack of go forward from Bird at lock. And is WB going to go Walker boys and just throw the pill around all day with what at the time was a smallish pack with Bird at lock?

Things are different now obviously. If keep TPJ and young blokes don’t get second year syndrome have a relatively big pack with no real space for Bird in the forwards. Leaves 9,6,4, bench or parramatta....

He's played lock, not sure if he has in the NRL though. A lot will depend if Wayne still fancies him in that position.

I don’t see the need for a ball playing lock at all. We’ve got halves and a fullback to do that sort of shit.

I don’t see the need for a ball playing lock at all. We’ve got halves and a fullback to do that sort of shit.

You don't need one but it's going to be very smart to have within the next couple of years.

The game is becoming faster and there is more emphasis on open play. Reducing the interchange to 6 will achieve that even more. That's where a ball playing forward will come in handy.

You don't need one but it's going to be very smart to have within the next couple of years.

The game is becoming faster and there is more emphasis on open play. Reducing the interchange to 6 will achieve that even more. That's where a ball playing forward will come in handy.

I thought it was all about the wrestle and slowing down the ruck . You know , modern football ...

I'm still pretty positive we bought Bird in to play lock, so we did have a position in mind for him

I can confirm this

I have no secret inside knowledge

But what I do know is, that no club (let alone the Broncos) has ever said "Yeah let's get this bloke up here on massive dollars and figure out where to play him later

Seriously, anybody that thinks that happened, likely also believes Elvis is still alive

We, the fans, might not know what position we bought Bird for, but that doesn't mean the club doesn't know

I can confirm this

I have no secret inside knowledge

But what I do know is, that no club (let alone the Broncos) has ever said "Yeah let's get this bloke up here on massive dollars and figure out where to play him later

Seriously, anybody that thinks that happened, likely also believes Elvis is still alive

We, the fans, might not know what position we bought Bird for, but that doesn't mean the club doesn't know

Pretty sure smokin joe eluded to it.

We can rules out Parramatta for Oates, they have locked up their backs as of this week. Positive step for us! Wouldn't leave many clubs except for the average ones with dollars left for Oates. I hope he has no interest in Cronulla.

We can rules out Parramatta for Oates, they have locked up their backs as of this week. Positive step for us! Wouldn't leave many clubs except for the average ones with dollars left for Oates. I hope he has no interest in Cronulla.

if he leaves, it is likely to be for a spot in the backrow anyway ...

Active Now

• Bish
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Morkel
  • HarryAllan7
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.