Broncos NYC 2014

He's a big tall unit who is going to fill out into a Andrew Tessman lookalike

Caught a replay in the wee hours of the morning.

Good performance from the Broncos. Nothing overly flashy, just basic football executed well by a number of players and they tore the Warriors apart. Before anybody gets too ahead of themselves, the Warriors were basically playing without all their star players - David Fusitua, Tuimoala Lolohea, Ngataua Hukatai, Sam Lisone, Michael Ki etc. etc.

Brisbane were missing Oates, J. Nikorima and Byrnes themselves but if you were comparing rosters, it wasn't even close.

Still NZ is always a tough road trip so to see the boys put in one of their better performances was certainly pleasing.

Thought I'd run through the players for those who didn't catch the game.

Kodi Nikorima - Sort of played like I want Barba to play. Supported his forwards through the middle quite well, waiting off the likes of Molo and Arrow before accepting offloads and tearing the Warriors apart through the middle. Scored a nice try with some great foot-work but can't help but feel the Warriors insipid turnstile defence helped out and chimed in well to set up Tuttle. Aside from putting down one bomb (went backwards) was rarely tested at the back so difficult to see how he'd handle it. Last time I checked though, he was always good for one mistake which isn't what you want from a first grade fullback.

Junior Taefu - Kept swapping with Tuttle in the middle of the game. Was pretty ordinary, spilled a kick-off to extend the Warriors fight back and both he and Tuttle were ultimately responsible for those Tyrell tries albeit the Warriors had the numbers.

Jordan Drew - Reminds me of Steve Bell in so much that he likes to cut back on the inside and beat the defence with his strength and foot-work. Good player but unfortunately rolled his ankle part-way through the match and failed to return.

Jack Tuttle - Was OK from what I saw. Beaten a couple of times in defence but had a solid game all the same.

Tom Opacic - Is sort of like your James McManus type hard-working winger who will put his hand up for a nice run through the middle and will try to get a quick play the ball to get the set rolling. A very handy player.

Duncan Paia'Aua - Couple of nice touches but a fairly quiet game otherwise. Threw a couple of nice cut out passes to find space down the touchline, did well to set up Taefu, evading the tackle of the oncoming defence, drawing the cover in before placing a pin-point kick to the corner for Taefu to jot down and score but it seemed like he took a back-seat most of the afternoon. In fairness, it was just one of those games where the Broncos could afford to just play one off but it's becoming a bit of a habit.

Ash Taylor - I liked what I saw from Ash. Still raw in a few departments but has a nice balance to his game where he can be a threat on his feet, can throw a nice face pass and his kicking game has plenty of promise. Best play for me was late in the game, forwards were tiring and Ash just launches the biggest kick of the game for the corner and it finds touch just before the dead-ball line. That's a first grade play right there.

Francis Molo - Seemed to be on a mission to prove that he's ready for first grade and played quite well. Kept punching through the Warriors defence in the middle and his ability to produce the occasional offload was a key part in the Broncos win. What impressed me more than most was his cover defence on a few occasions. Just those little 1% plays which probably don't mean all that much at NYC level but become very apparent in first grade. As the game wore on, I think Molo got fatigued and started doing a couple of silly little things like spilling the ball out the back and hitting one of the Warriors (with the blonde streaks...#20?) with a stupid high tackle and I hope he didn't get himself suspended for it.

Jayden Berrell - Was one of the best players on the park and when he went off in the second half, the Broncos struggled to get the same roll on through the middle. He's taken his game to another level this season, his service has improved, defence is getting better and he picked his moments out of dummy half a lot better. Still a few areas that he needs to polish but I wouldn't complain if Hook handed him his debut on Friday. Only problem is he could be out of action.

Joe Ofahengaue - A big unit and he was very heavily involved and showed a lot of motor to get through the opening 50 or so minutes but think he's a bit too raw to consider for first grade. Seems like a quantity v quality player. Will produce the odd good run but will also get pushed back a bit which at first grade level will probably see him pushed back a lot. Needs to show a bit more leg drive I think but he's a player to look out for.

Ajuma Adams - A quiet achiever. Comes up with the odd good play but tends to just get through his work without too much fuss.

Brett Greinke - Has really improved with the captaincy. I singled him out a bit at the start of the off-season but he's really proved me wrong and is showing some real positive signs. Runs nice lines, isn't too shabby in defence, one to keep an eye on in the pre-season.

Jai Arrow - Is another player I wouldn't mind seeing in the first grade side. Ran nice and hard through the middle all afternoon and was able to produce the odd offload to put his support into space. Pretty handy defender too although noticed the Warriors made bit of a break when he turned his back on the dummy half which is bit of a cardinal sin. If Hodges can grill him on it, I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack first grade sooner than later.

Brandon Lee - I like Lee but this wasn't one of his better games. Service wasn't as good as Berrell's and produced a turn over at one point and his defence was a bit off too. Strikes me as a footy player and didn't embarrass himself or anything but just needs to improve his fundamentals if he wants to play at the top level.

Aaron Rockley - A good honest toiler who was handy in both attack and defence. Bit like Opacic really, just a valuable player to have in a team like this.

Alex Barr - Didn't get into the game until late and I'm pretty sure he and Greinke kept taking turns on Drew's left hand centre position. Made a couple of nice carries but didn't have much of a opportunity.

Lindsay Collins - Couple of nice hard runs but like Barr, didn't see a whole lot of game time. Is a prospect and will be very interested to see how he goes next year.

BRONCOS NYC TEAM
1 Kodi Nikorima
2 Paul Byrnes
3 Tom Opacic
4 Jack Tuttle
5 Elijah Alick
6 Duncan Paia’aua
7 Ashley Taylor
8 Aaron Rockley
9 Brandon Lee
10 Joe Ofahengaue
11 Ajuma Adams
12 Brett Greinke
13 Jai Arrow
Interchange
14 Jayden Nikorima
15 Lindsay Collins
16 Alex Barr
17 Brendon McBryde
Coach Craig Hodges

Berrell, Drew and Taefu are all injured.

Molo suspended.

Collins benched? Interesting. Opacic to the Centres seems like a positive move too. Any chance this game is being televised?

Collins benched? Interesting. Opacic to the Centres seems like a positive move too. Any chance this game is being televised?

No chance unfortunately

Collins is a youngster who has been coming off the bench when the team is at full strength. It won't be the first time Opacic plays in the centres, he has gone alright there in the past

Broncos NYC win comfortably over Cronulla

Matty Holdsworth
Fri 27th June, 06:56PM A A

1403859628225.jpg
Photo by Colin Whelan copyright © nrlphotos.com : NYC Holden Cup Rugby League, Round 16 Brisbane Broncos v Cronulla Sharks at Suncorp Stadium, Friday June 27th 2014.

The NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos NYC side are the sole competition leaders after beating the Cronulla Sharks NYC 32-10 at Suncorp Stadium.

The Broncos scored seven tries to two but their goal kicking let them down however, the result was never really in doubt as they coasted to victory.

Winger Elijah Alick and centre Tom Opacic both grabbed doubles as the young Broncos ran out comprehensive winners.

Heading into the clash Brisbane were the equal competition leaders alongside the Newcastle Knights while the Sharks were languished in 14[SUP]th[/SUP] place.

The Broncos welcomed the return of young star Jayden Nikorima to the bench who overcame an ankle injury.

Prop Francis Molo was out through suspension and outside backs Jordan Drew and Junior Taefu joined him on the sideline with minor injuries.

Following the half time break a mistake from the home side gave the Sharks a scrum on their 40 metre line.

The Broncos were let off the hook as a knock-on from Sharks forward Patrice Solo ended their opportunity.

The Sharks gained another penalty and went on the attack just 10 metres out from the Broncos line but again their hands let them down with Anthony Moraitis the culprit this occasion.

Cronulla’s representative fullback Valentine Holmes was enjoying a fine game as he broke through the Broncos line and found support out wide but the Sharks knocked on.

Following the Sharks error the Broncos won a line dropout as Nikorima’s kick into the in-goal was forced dead by Holmes.

The repeat set helped the young Broncos score their fifth try of the game as centre Tom Opacic scored his second try of the night after a shift down the left hand side.

Jayden Nikorima narrowly missed out on added the extras with his tough attempt from the sideline on the 50 minute mark.

The Broncos led by 16 points but a mistake from the kick-off invited the Sharks back into the contest.

Brisbane five-eighth Duncan Paia’aua saved the Broncos from a line dropout as he plucked a hard kick out of the air and headed down field.

A penalty to the Broncos gave them valuable field position but prop Aaron Rockley came up with an error in his effort to ground the ball over the line.

In the 59[SUP]th[/SUP] minute Cronulla back-rower Anthony Moraitis came up with a smart chip kick which was regathered by his side and on the next play Moraitis himself barged over for a much needed four pointer.

Fullback Valentine Holmes failed to close the gap with his conversion attempt.

Fatigue was becoming a factor after 60 minutes as both sides were guilty of poor ball security.

Jayden Nikorima provided great impact from the interchange bench diving onto a clever grubber from Paia’aua to score the likely winning try for the hosts.

Nikorima was successful with his conversion and the Broncos led by 18 points with just 12 minutes to go.

With just ten minutes left on the clock Broncos winger Paul Byrnes burst through the defensive line and looked like scoring but the Cronulla defence denied him.

The pressure applied by the home side payed off after winger Elijah Alick dove over in the corner after a set play from his team worked a treat.

There was only five minutes left in play when Taylor attempted his conversion from the sideline but he pushed it just wide.

The Sharks had a chance to score a consolation try with just seconds left on the clock but the Broncos defence remained strong.

At the start of the game and just four minutes in Brisbane’s interchange half Jayden Nikorima came on for five-eighth Paia’aua who was forced from the field due to a head-knock.

In the seventh minute of the game Cronulla won a scrum on the Broncos 30m line and their set play payed off as winger Joshua Addo-Carr crossed untouched in the corner.

Sharks’ fullback Holmes just snuck his conversion attempt through for an early lead.

The Broncos were invited straight back into the contest as their restart bounced dead and on the fifth tackle Kodi Nikorima won the ball back with a smart kick .

The sustained pressure helped the Broncos open their account in the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] minute as centre Jack Tuttle stepped inside the defence for a try out wide.

Halfback Taylor was unsuccessful with his attempt to even up the scores.

The Cronulla side was on the attack in the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] minute of play but their grubber kick into the in-goal area was scooped up by Kodi Nikorima and the Broncos were out of trouble.

In the 24[SUP]th[/SUP] minute the Broncos were on the attack and hooker Jayden Berrell had a dart at the line but was deemed to be held up by referee Sharpe.

The very next play Kodi Nikorima stepped around some loose defence before offloading to his winger Alick who used some sharp footwork of his own to score for the hosts.

Taylor again sprayed his kick wide and the home side only led by two points.

A forward pass by Cronulla prop Jake Goodwin handed the Brisbane side a strong chance to post more points and they did just that when prop Joe Ofahengaue charged onto a short ball from Paia’aua who had returned to the field and forced the ball over the line.

Taylor had a much simpler task straight in front of the posts and made no mistake and the Broncos led by eight after 33 minutes.

Just two minutes from the halftime break the Broncos scored a great try down the left hand side of the field through centre Opacic.

Interchange forward Lindsay Collins ran onto a well-timed pass from Taylor before coming up a miracle pass of his own straight into the hands of his centre to dive over.

Taylor’s torrid night with the boot continued as he sprayed his attempt again.

A solid half of football saw the home side lead 18-6 and well on track for another win.

Next round the Broncos will receive a well-earned rest as they are on a bye and the next time they will be in action will be round 18 away to the Penrith Panthers on Monday night football.

BRISBANE BRONCOS NYC 32 (T Opacic 2, E Alick 2, J Tuttle, J Ofahengaue, J Nikorima tries; A Taylor 1, J Nikorima 1 goal)
Defeated the
CRONULLA SHARKS NYC 10 (J Addo-Carr, A Moraitis tries; V Holmes 1 goal)
At Suncorp Stadium
Referee: Clayton Sharpe

Anyone know if you can purchase the broncos Holden cup team jersey? Home or away? Cant seem to find it anywhere.

I heard third hand that the 20's ran an opposed session against the Qld Police team yesterday and one of the halves did his knee (ACL?).
Hope this is just rumour - can anyone confirm?

I heard third hand that the 20's ran an opposed session against the Qld Police team yesterday and one of the halves did his knee (ACL?).
Hope this is just rumour - can anyone confirm?

Not 100% confirmed as yet, but looks as though duncan may have done it. I know he has had a full reco in the past, but I don't know if it is the same knee or not.

Young Broncos Handed Lesson

Mon 14th July, 06:55PM A A

1405328217436.jpg
Digital Image by Robb Cox ©nrlphotos.com: :NYC Rugby League - Round 4; St George Illawarra Dragons Vs Brisbane Broncos at WIN Stadium, Friday the 28th of March 2014 .

The NRMA Insurance Broncos under 20s have been brought back to earth with a thud after reigning premiers Penrith gave them a 50-18 lesson tonight.

THe Broncos knew a win would hand them the competition lead, but a second-half blitz from the Panthers destroyed those hopes.

The Panthers showed they were serious in the first 10 minutes of the second half, running in two tries to jump a 10-point lead.

Fullback Dallen Watene-Zelezniak and back rower Chris Smith found the line to give the Panthers control of the match.

And they went on a scoring spree from there.

Further tries to Josh Jay, Corey Harawira-Naera, and then Smith and Watene-Zelezniak had the Panthers running away with it.

The young Broncos did stem the bleeding a bit with a try to Jai Arrow, but Watene-Zelezniak completed his hat-trick to finish a big win for the Panthers.

Earlier, the Broncos opened the scoring when an Ash Taylor kick was gathered by Paul Byrnes.

However the Panthers countered soon after when winger Eddie Aiono hit back to cut the Broncos' lead to 6-4.

The Panthers went ahead when lock Brendan Atwood pirouetted his way over to make it 10-6.

But a mistake from a scrum would hand the Broncos a chance just before the break.

Kodi Nikorima made the home side pay too, stepping his way over to score three minutes before halftime, his conversion edging the Broncos ahead 12-10.

Terrible night, nothing positive to see here. Big learning curve for the guys, go to cold Penrith and play football when you don't really want to.

Brynes was strong, time in ISC has improved his game.

Molo played ISC this week too.

Why didn't they really want to play football? If that's the case, have they all been sacked?

BRONCOS NYC TEAM
1 Kodi Nikorima
2 Paul Byrnes
3 Jordan Drew
4 Tom Opacic
5 Elijah Alick
6 Jayden Nikorima
7 Ashley Taylor
8 Aaron Rockley
9 Brandon Lee
10 Joe Ofahengaue
11 Ajuma Adams
12 Brett Greinke
13 Jai Arrow
Interchange
14 Sam Gee
15 Alex Barr
16 Brendon McBryde
17 Jayden Berrell
Coach Craig Hodges

I made the trek early tonight to catch the 20's in action. I wish I didnt...... the boys were simply outplayed and out muscled. One thing really stood out tonight, molo was a sole hand and held the middle together while he was on however when he was off the warriors cut them to shreds. From what looked like a lot of forward depth at the start of the year now suddenly looks really thin. Arrow and offahengaue try hard but lacked teal punch and conviction akd got rolled over to easily tonight. Adams looks heavy in the legs and is a shadow of his former self. The rest of the pack dont deserve a mention.

Active Now

• john1420
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • heartly87
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Griffo
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Pablo
  • Smokin' Joe
  • Broncosgirl
  • Gaz
  • Tim K
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.