Broncos NYC 2014

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Broncos NYC downed by Warriors

Sat 19th July, 06:54PM

The NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos NYC side have suffered back to back defeats going down to the New Zealand Warriors NYC 40-18 at Suncorp Stadium.

The Warriors out enthused the home in the first half and ended the game the strongest, scoring seven tries to three.

Broncos centre Jordan Drew had a solid game for the Broncos bagging a double in the defeat.

It was just four rounds ago when the teams met last where the young Broncos putting on a first half clinic to take it out 36-18 at Mount Smart Stadium.

This game proved vastly different and it was only the second time this year that the Broncos have lost consecutive defeats.

Going into this game the home side were in second place while the Warriors were just inside the top eight.

Brisbane Coach Craig Hodges made only the one change to their side which lost to the defending premiers Penrith last week, with Lindsay Collins making way for Francis Molo to return to the side.

With the Broncos down 16-6 at the break there was pressure on them to be the next to score, this was made difficult when the Warriors went on the attack following a penalty.

The Warriors scored their fourth try of the game in the 45[SUP]th[/SUP] minute when fullback Brad Abbey sliced his way over.

Solomone Kata nailed his simple conversion and the Warriors led 22-6 five minutes into the second half.

By the 50 minute mark the score line was getting ugly for the home side but Paul Byrnes was able to deny the Warriors more points as he rose highest to catch the cross field bomb, then he won a penalty for his side.

In the 56[SUP]th[/SUP] minute the Broncos where back on the board as centre Jordan Drew finished off a nice backline move.

Jayden Nikorima had a tough chance for his conversion and just snuck his kick home.

The Broncos won a penalty just 20 metres out and almost added another try from the back of that but Ajuma Adams hands let him down close to the line.

After 67 minutes the Warriors extended their lead as fullback Brad Abbey cut through the line and passed inside for interchange player Nathaniel Roache to score under the posts.

Kata added the extras and the visitors led by 18 points with 11 minutes left on the clock.

With six minutes remaining in the game Warriors second-rower Michael Ki scored for his side as he showed real strength to barge his way over from dummy half.

Kata was successful with his conversion ten metres in from touch.

Jordan Drew scored his second try of the game after a similar move to his first but it was very much a consolation try as the game was out of reach.

Jayden Nikorima was successful with his conversion but with just eigth minutes to go it mattered little.

Fullback Abbey capped off a memorable night for himself scoring his second try of the game to blow their score out to 40 points.

Kata continued his form with the boot adding the extras for his side.

Earlier on the Warriors started the opening stanza in quality fashion earning a penalty to start their attacking set on the 40m line.

Their strong field position did not help them however, as the pass from five-eighth Semisi Tyrell drifting forward.

The Warriors received their second penalty of the night and but the home side repelled another full set on their line.

Francis Molo came up with a forceful charge to earn his side a penalty however the kick for touch failed to go out and the Warriors went on the attack again.

Again the Broncos got out of trouble as fullback Kodi Nikorima gathered up the loose ball and made it out to the 10 m line.

At the 20 minute mark the Broncos won a penalty on the 20m line and finally broke the deadlock with Francis Molo of all people picking up a grubber from halfback Ashley Taylor to score.

Five-eighth Jayden Nikorima had an easy conversion first up and made no mistake with it.

Taylor came up with the goods on the last tackle with his grubber into the in-goal winning a repeat set for his side.

Brisbane ran the ball on the third tackle on the set but the last pass from Nikorima was poor and it sailed into touch.

In the 29[SUP]th[/SUP] minute the Warriors hit back with a try of their own as interchange forward Toafofoa Sipley barged his way over from close range.

Centre Solomone Kata levelled up the scores at six all.

Two minutes later the visitors were in again with their winger Metia Lisate latching onto a bomb to score.

Kata hit the post with his attempt at goal.

Following the Warriors try the Broncos came up with a big defensive play to jolt the ball lose and win a scrum on the 20 m line.

Taylor kick to the corner was ruled to come off a Brisbane player so the Warriors begun their set 20 metres out.

The Broncos had a scrum on their 40m line but the Warriors attempted a push and managed to steal the ball and went on the attack.

The Warriors were able to capitalise on that as second-rower Alex Tuimavave-Gerrard ran onto a short ball to score with a minute left in play.

Kata added the extras for a ten point lead at halftime.

The Warriors put on three tries to one in the first half and they led 16-6 at the break.

Next round the Broncos NYC team host the Melbourne Storm at Suncorp Stadium in Friday night football.

BRISBANE BRONCOS NYC 18 (J Drew 2, F Molo, tries; J Nikorima 3 goals)

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS NYC 40 (B Abbey 2, T Sipley, M Lisate, A Tuimavave-Gerrard, N Roache, M Ki tries; S Kata 6 goals)

At Suncorp Stadium.

Last edited:
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Berrell To Start Against Storm

Berrell To Start Against Storm

Tue 22nd July, 03:48PM A A

1406008212807.jpg
Photo by Colin Whelan copyright © nrlphotos.com : NYC Holden Cup, Round 7 Newcastle Knights v Brisbane Broncos at Newcastle, Good Friday, April 18th 2014.

VIBRANT hooker Jayden Berrell will return to his starting position this Friday night as the Broncos' under 20s try to snap a two-match losing streak.

The defeat at the hands of the Warriors last week was the first time the young Broncos have lost back to back this season.

They still are well in contention for the minor premiership, three points behind leaders Newcastle in fourth spot.

Berrell made his return from a hamstring injury off the bench last week, coming on for starter Brandon Lee.

However this week he will start the match as he did before the hamstring tear took him out of football for a month.

Lee reverts to the bench, with Alex Barr keeping the starting spot he took from Aaron Rockley last week.

Jack Tuttle stays in the centres, with Tom Opacic out with a broken hand.

Kick off will be at 5.20pm.

BRONCOS NYC TEAM
1 Kodi Nikorima
2 Paul Byrnes
3 Jordan Drew
4 Jack Tuttle
5 Elijah Alick
6 Jayden Nikorima
7 Ashley Taylor
8 Frank Molo
9 Jayden Berrell
10 Joe Ofahengaue
11 Alex Barr
12 Brett Greinke
13 Jai Arrow
Interchange
14 Brandon Lee
15 Aaron Rockley
16 Ajuma Adams
17 Brendon McBryde
Coach Craig Hodges

Last edited by a moderator:
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I was at training on Friday and the 20s looked slick but went to the game day and they were quite flat. Only time we ever looked dangerous was down the warriors right edge defence which we were making huge metres every time we went there. Spoke to George Fais dad at training to, he said he is still 2-3 weeks away and is going to sign a new deal soon to keep him at the club for a lot longer which is good news.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Forgot to mention.

They staged the Australian Second Schools tournament to decide the Schoolboys touring side a few weeks back.

Only one Bronco made it, prop Keegan Hipgrave who was also recognised as the Queensland player of the tournament.

B

Brad Miers

NYC Player
Feb 22, 2013
Very dangerous game for the 20's as Melbourne have recovered from the slump over the past 2 months. They also have Cameron Munster penciled in to play but I wouldn't be srprise to see him play NRL this week. He has been killing it in Q Cup past weeks.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Melbourne 16
Brisbane 14

I arrived in the shadows before half-time and watched the Broncos absolutely butcher an opportunity when Taylor nailed a great 40/20 only for the dummy half to throw one of the worst passes I've seen at this level and hand it straight back to Melbourne.

That was sort of the story of the game right there.

Brisbane had their opportunities to begin the second half, but it was a bit like the first grade side where they shift the ball as slow and predictibly as one of those animatronic creatures you'd see on a theme park ride and Brisbane just paid the price.

Storm on the other hand, scored off their spread to the right (although they had a 3 on 1 to the left if they went there) and then scored back to back through some soft defence in the middle of the ruck that allowed their #8 to make a HUGE line-break through the middle before a Munster run drew defenders into the middle and allow an easy shift to their right to score.

Brisbane did well to work their way back in. They played some pretty cautious footy before Kodi made a good kick-return and they played off the back of that before I think it was Jayden who burst through and summed up the situation to put Byrnes in under the posts.

Second try followed not long after from a good run from McBryde through the fringes, ball went right to I think Taylor who swung it back in and the Broncos made another big break and in a piece of good fortune the ball ricochet from an attempted intercept and Byrnes was on the spot to score the try. Jayden's conversion just struck the up-right and remained in to keep it at 14-10 and it just left the door open for the Storm.

Which they took advantage of. Brisbane made a bad error inside their own half, compounded that with a penalty and I think it was Munster who once again dragged the defence in, allowing the Storm to score on the fringes. He kicked the conversion and despite a last ditch effort right at the end, the Storm took it.

Disappointing but a pretty solid game of footy, especially compared to some other games I've seen on Fox. Liked what I saw from Taylor, he tended to play what was in-front of him instead of to a script and looked the most likely to score or set something up.

Liked what I saw from Arrow and Byrnes too. Ofahengaue did some good things, but that big break I think was cause of him and how lazy he was getting back to the defensive line.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Melbourne 16
Brisbane 14

I arrived in the shadows before half-time and watched the Broncos absolutely butcher an opportunity when Taylor nailed a great 40/20 only for the dummy half to throw one of the worst passes I've seen at this level and hand it straight back to Melbourne.

That was sort of the story of the game right there.

Brisbane had their opportunities to begin the second half, but it was a bit like the first grade side where they shift the ball as slow and predictibly as one of those animatronic creatures you'd see on a theme park ride and Brisbane just paid the price.

Storm on the other hand, scored off their spread to the right (although they had a 3 on 1 to the left if they went there) and then scored back to back through some soft defence in the middle of the ruck that allowed their #8 to make a HUGE line-break through the middle before a Munster run drew defenders into the middle and allow an easy shift to their right to score.

Brisbane did well to work their way back in. They played some pretty cautious footy before Kodi made a good kick-return and they played off the back of that before I think it was Jayden who burst through and summed up the situation to put Byrnes in under the posts.

Second try followed not long after from a good run from McBryde through the fringes, ball went right to I think Taylor who swung it back in and the Broncos made another big break and in a piece of good fortune the ball ricochet from an attempted intercept and Byrnes was on the spot to score the try. Jayden's conversion just struck the up-right and remained in to keep it at 14-10 and it just left the door open for the Storm.

Which they took advantage of. Brisbane made a bad error inside their own half, compounded that with a penalty and I think it was Munster who once again dragged the defence in, allowing the Storm to score on the fringes. He kicked the conversion and despite a last ditch effort right at the end, the Storm took it.

Disappointing but a pretty solid game of footy, especially compared to some other games I've seen on Fox. Liked what I saw from Taylor, he tended to play what was in-front of him instead of to a script and looked the most likely to score or set something up.

Liked what I saw from Arrow and Byrnes too. Ofahengaue did some good things, but that big break I think was cause of him and how lazy he was getting back to the defensive line.
How big was the 12 for Storm Pete

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Would hate to be marking up on Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

Stands in at 198cm and 112kg.

Storm fans have a huge wrap on him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Any Broncos stand out to you Splinter?

Because outside of the odd moment, it seemed like Taylor was the only consistent player on the field. Am I forgetting anything?

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
The thing that stood out to me is that I cannot remember Molo on the field from the time before halftime.
Byrnes does support well. He came in off the wing to score that try though the middle

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The energy that has been lacking for two weeks seemed to be back at half time last night. But they were quite poor in the second half. Defence was a lot stronger, 90 points last two games was worrying.

Arrow's defence was strong, he forces handovers. Ofahengaue was good, his best game in a month. He's making meters and taking strong hit ups.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
the 20's seem a real shambles at the moment.... Rumblings around suggest a fair bit of disconnect between the players and the coaching staff..

I just had a look at the stats, the back row looks to be a real problem at the moment. Barr had 8 carries in 80 minutes for a lousy 70 metres, and greinke was even worst with 7 carries for a poor 56 metres in 80 minutes... The depth of the back row is really ordinary at the moment. The stats suggest adams played one of his better games of the year. Ash taylor is still a long way off in defense, he missed 5 tackles and only made 16 so he will need to get this sorted before he progresses to the next level.

Also, the Bulldogs have identified Corey Oates as a priority signing so this will stretch the clubs back row depth even further when negotiations start to heat up.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
the 20's seem a real shambles at the moment.... Rumblings around suggest a fair bit of disconnect between the players and the coaching staff..

I just had a look at the stats, the back row looks to be a real problem at the moment. Barr had 8 carries in 80 minutes for a lousy 70 metres, and greinke was even worst with 7 carries for a poor 56 metres in 80 minutes... The depth of the back row is really ordinary at the moment. The stats suggest adams played one of his better games of the year. Ash taylor is still a long way off in defense, he missed 5 tackles and only made 16 so he will need to get this sorted before he progresses to the next level.

Also, the Bulldogs have identified Corey Oates as a priority signing so this will stretch the clubs back row depth even further when negotiations start to heat up.

Source?

S

Spiros Slimbecko

Aug 5, 2013
Once Bennet gets here he will put the cleaners through the place get rid of Hodges and co
and probably most of all the other puppets on the coaching staff and they can go back to
coaching primary school footy where they belong the place will start moving forward again.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • KickHaas
  • Johnny92
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • eazy-duzzit
  • broncotville
  • broncsgoat
  • Howie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Volvo Driver
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Robboi_321
  • Broncos Maestro
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Nerd
  • Waynesaurus
... and 35 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.