Broncos NYC 2014

And that's all she wrote.

Eels 32 defeat the Broncos 26.

I reckon this is the one that got away from the Broncos. The Eels didn't play all that well but the Broncos just couldn't capitilise and they seemed to lack options close to the line to put the Eels away.

Parramatta didn't play that well but they have enough quality players in the likes of Matterson, Davis, Lavaka, Folau, Pritchard & Tanginoa to where if you keep turning it over they're going to find you out somewhere and they certainly did here.

Personally, I thought the Eels received the rub of the green on a lot of 50/50 calls. In particular a captain's challenge that lead straight to a try and then a pass that looked forward but was given the all clear by the referees and that too eventually lead to points. I think the Broncos will rue those calls but it should remind them that they should have won this contest and are still a fair chance in this finals series if they're willing to make the appropriate changes and play with more patience and discipline.

Unsure where it's to next for the Broncos. I'm pretty sure they play the Tigers in Sydney on Friday but I'm not too sure what changes they'll make and whether or not who will be fit. Jordan Drew came off in the second half, so I'm unsure if he'll be right and I don't know if Jayden Nikorima is due back next week or the week after but he'll be a nice inclusion if he's given a shot since the Broncos need a bit more of a spark.

Thoughts on each player...

Kodi Nikorima - A bit more subdued than I'm used to but that's not a bad thing. I thought he did his job quite well, did well to put Opacic into space for one of our tries, earned us a repeat set and his half-break late gave us one last opportunity which we shouldn't have had. I'm not sure where the future is for Nikorima but I can definitely see him being an option at fullback during the Origin period.

Paul Byrnes - I'm a big fan of Byrnes but I thought he was pretty ordinary here coming up with a couple of really poor plays at crucial times and over-running plays that would have resulted in points. He's somebody who's capable of much more and I was quite disappointed in his overall performance

Tom Opacic - I like Tom because he isn't an athlete or anything special, he's just a footy player who likes to get the footy in his hands as often as he can and isn't afraid to do the hard stuff but I thought he over-played his hand at times and didn't read the play as well as what he should have.

Jordan Drew - First game back after a stint on the sideline and had a mixed evening. Bagged a double included the opener thanks to some sweet foot-work but was made to look like an absolute fool by Folau later on. I'll put it down to his injuries and hopefully he's alright because we missed him in the 2nd half and he's a big weapon at this level.

Jack Tuttle - I thought he was OK but probably didn't offer enough when the team needed cheap metres nor did he ever really pose much of a threat. Ball didn't really go out his way and he wasn't given enough time in the air where he's usually pretty good.

Duncan Paia'Aua - Was at his best when he had two hands on the ball, running it to the line and asking questions of the Eels defence. Made a few line-breaks that way but just couldn't connect with his support. Thought other elements of his game was quite poor and needed to take more control, especially early on.

Ash Taylor - Is probably the Broncos most highly anticipated prospect and I thought he had a very mixed game. A lot of loose passes, took some poor options and his kicking game wasn't all that strong. It was his defence that allowed the Eels to score a bunch of their points and I reckon the coach will be having a few words with him.

Aaron Rockley - He was ok, but clearly outplayed by a lot of props tonight.

Jayden Berrell - I was a little bit disappointed in Jayden to tell you the truth. When he played direct and timed his runs, he looked like the player I was calling to play first grade but he got bumped off a few times in defence by the bigger Parra players, gave away some dumb penalties and got the Broncos playing side to side too often.

Joe Ofahengaue - I thought he was one of the best on the park and was one of the few Broncos players continuously making metres including a nice big break through the middle. He's got a nice motor on him but he does seem too much of a workhorse and lacks that little bit of polish that he needs to crack first grade. He's somebody I'm really keeping an eye on since I believe he has potential but he needs to develop a good offload, a passing game and learn how to run certain lines and run them well. At this stage, he's a little bit too one dimensional.

Brett Greinke - I like Brett, I think he shows plenty of enthusiasm and is quite solid all-round but he's an edge runner that lacks foot-work, power & acceleration and isn't quite the stand-out the Broncos need. I can definitely see him becoming a late-bloomer sort of player who'll need time in the ISC to really hone his craft but he's just one of those players who you put next to some of the other backrows in the competition and he just doesn't compare unfortunately.

Braydon McBryde - Started poorly but he worked his way into it and was solid. We still need more out of him as we struggle up-front.

Jai Arrow - I'm a fan and think he's right up there as one of the best players in the team but he's somebody who really needs a strong pre-season or something before he really goes to the next level.

Alex Barr - They brought him onto replace Drew to play the arge and barge centre role and he had a mixed go of it.

George Fai - Came on late and made a couple of solid charges through the middle. I like what I've seen from him but he's still very raw.

Ajuma Adams - Mixed evening from him. Thought he really gave the Broncos some zest just before HT but in the second half he was guilty of a few costly dropped balls that hurt and went into his shell a bit. There's a good player there, somewhere but he gets a bit too fancy and needs to roll the sleeves up more and make sure he takes those passes.

Kalolo Saitaua - Came on as a replacement hooker for Berrell and he was OK if not a little bit lost at times. Thought it was odd he was brought in for his first game of the season during the final...wonder if Lee was injured or what the go was?

Ahhh that sucks mate.

Where did you hear that?

Official Team vs Tigers
1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Paul Byrnes
3. Tom Opacic
4. Jordan Drew
5. Jack Tuttle
6. Duncan Paia'aua
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Aaron Rockley
9. Jayden Berrell
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Brett Greinke
12. Brendon McBryde
13. Jai Arrow

14. Jayden Nikorima
15. George Fai
16. Ajuma Adams
17. Alex Barr

18. Kalolo Saitaua

Injured.

Suffered a serious shoulder injury awhile back and it ended his season.

Game is on this arvo at 5pm on Fox 1 - Channel 501.

You guys think the Regatta or the R.E will show this game?

If they have Foxtel hooked up then i can't see why not ??

Already beering up in anticipation :beerglass:

Same. Haven't had a beer all week. 6 pack of Corona's on hand. Family sized packet of Bacon Double Cheeseburger MAXX chips, then onto meatballs for dinner after the game. OH YEAH.

Same. Haven't had a beer all week. 6 pack of Corona's on hand. Family sized packet of Bacon Double Cheeseburger MAXX chips, then onto meatballs for dinner after the game. OH YEAH.

Cool !

What could possibly go wrong ?

Oh wait ....

Don't have pay TV. Anyone know if it's possible to listen to tigers game online or on radio?

Sloppy second half of the first half by the Broncos.

Commentators just said that Oates could have played? Do they have to play a certain number of games for the u20s to be eligible? Or just anyone at the right age can play?

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • porouian
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • rj9
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • LittleDavey
  • Skathen
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.